Thread: Ask all your general ( none related forum ) computer questions here

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    A current thread by PB has reminded me of a laptop frustration I experience on a semi-regular basis. 12 months ago I bought a Lenovo Ideapad 510-ISK laptop for use while working away. While I'm away I dont have the luxury of unlimited data like at home, and this absolute POS runs Windows 10 and wants to update apps on a continual basis, chewing my precious data. Dont know how many times I've run dry on data because it updated apps while I was uploading work data. Think ive disabled updates but not 100% sure (it's not a simple process for non-tech heads). I just cant trust this thing that continually wants to talk to me, update shit I don't use on the road and offer me shit I don't want.

Is there a simple operating system I can change to so it turns into a "dumb" computer and just do what its told (basic uploading of reports and photos)?

Or alternative laptops that will just do as told and nothing more?
    Hey bud, I have done this at work on my laptop there. It's fairly simple and the easiest way is option one.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#30378b4746f6

Give me a call or text if you need a walkthrough

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (4th February 2019), Plasnart (4th February 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 Times in 3,370 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Hey bud, I have done this at work on my laptop there. It's fairly simple and the easiest way is option one.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#30378b4746f6

Give me a call or text if you need a walkthrough

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Thanks nicco I'll check it out.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read an article on Lifehacker last week titled '40 window apps everyone should own'.
    One of the recommendations was The PC Decrapifier, which is described;

"When you buy a new laptop and it's loaded with bloatware -- or you're concerned about the amount of seemingly unnecessary programs on the Windows system you've been using for some time -- install The PC Decrapifier. This incredibly useful utility will give you recommendations, based on other users' experiences, about which items you should keep and which items you should trash. You'll sleep easier knowing you didn't accidentally delete a device-critical application."
    https://www.pcdecrapifier.com

I haven't used it personally, so can't vouch for it, but it might get rid of unnessecary programs you have that are chewing up data?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (4th February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 Times in 3,370 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremulator View Post
    I read an article on Lifehacker last week titled '40 window apps everyone should own'.
    One of the recommendations was The PC Decrapifier, which is described;

"When you buy a new laptop and it's loaded with bloatware -- or you're concerned about the amount of seemingly unnecessary programs on the Windows system you've been using for some time -- install The PC Decrapifier. This incredibly useful utility will give you recommendations, based on other users' experiences, about which items you should keep and which items you should trash. You'll sleep easier knowing you didn't accidentally delete a device-critical application."
    https://www.pcdecrapifier.com

I haven't used it personally, so can't vouch for it, but it might get rid of unnessecary programs you have that are chewing up data?
    Thanks Cremulator I'll check that out too. There's so much crap loaded on these things it's unbelievable.

@rusty_nail I've just gone into services and found windows update was in manual mode so I must have got it like that some other way. haha dont ask me how I can't remember! Anyway it's now disabled. Frustratingly though, as soon as I disabled it a pop up appeared asking if I was interested in voice activation. Grrrr......

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (4th February 2019), rusty_nail (4th February 2019)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So we finally get the NBN connected today. Supplied was a DLink DVA2800 router. Every laptop and mobile device in the house see's the new wifi signal. Except one laptop. I connected this laptop via ethernet and it wont even connect this way too. Yet the other two laptops here do.
    So I will assume its the laptop that is the issue. Its a W10 laptop, all Windows updates are done. I'm thinking its a firewall issue but not sure. I dont run A/v so its not this. I've turned the wifi on and off multiple times with no success too. Just not real sure where else to look.
    Any ideas?

Also. This laptop is currently running of the wifi signal from a different router which is our ADSL2 connection...

Its doing my bloody head in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    So we finally get the NBN connected today. Supplied was a DLink DVA2800 router. Every laptop and mobile device in the house see's the new wifi signal. Except one laptop. I connected this laptop via ethernet and it wont even connect this way too. Yet the other two laptops here do.
    So I will assume its the laptop that is the issue. Its a W10 laptop, all Windows updates are done. I'm thinking its a firewall issue but not sure. I dont run A/v so its not this. I've turned the wifi on and off multiple times with no success too. Just not real sure where else to look.
    Any ideas?

Also. This laptop is currently running of the wifi signal from a different router which is our ADSL2 connection...

Its doing my bloody head in.
    most likely answer will be the modem is only broadcasting on 5ghz, and the bad lappy is only 2.4ghz compatible. call me and i can work through it with you.

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    most likely answer will be the modem is only broadcasting on 5ghz, and the bad lappy is only 2.4ghz compatible. call me and i can work through it with you.
    The modem broadcasts on both. I turned off the 5ghz option just in case and still nothing. Ethernet wont even work. Fecking computers.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    The modem broadcasts on both. I turned off the 5ghz option just in case and still nothing. Ethernet wont even work. Fecking computers.
    perhaps run though the model(lenovo, samsung, ibm etc) wifi utility? is that how its connected? im sure it would just be something simple?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    another suggestion would be you could turn off the DHCP on the old modem then pug that modem into the new modem. then the old lappy would use the old modem signal with the new modem as DHCP. would be a good permamant solution or temporary solution what ever suits your needs

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All fixed. I logged into the router using another computer and I changed the wifi channel from auto to channel 1 and bam! It worked.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (15th March 2019)

Page 152 of 175 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162 ... LastLast