Thread: Going Solar on the GU wagon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    mention of timer on its front case is a bit odd for a solar charger.
    Got the same regulator here Cuppa. It`s for the aux power out - can set it to turn your camp lights on after a certain period of time for example.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VK2FMIA View Post
    Got the same regulator here Cuppa. It`s for the aux power out - can set it to turn your camp lights on after a certain period of time for example.
    Oh okay I haven’t seen that before, Although I have had a regulator which switched lights on and off automatically on dark and dawn.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    No worries Cobber... tired of Mangoes and Mub Crab yet?
    Is that even possible?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys, just gone out to car to check volts , battery saying 12.6 , so i don't think its say at 14.4 as earlier today. here's a video link below of the controller unit I have, I think it will be ok for my needs as the car sits for months with out being started regards Alex and thank for all your comments cheers.

97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds ok.

Just be aware of the need to check battery fluid regularly. Suggest weekly to start with until you know what is required.
    That charger will take the battery to 100% charge when the car is not used regularly. Wet batteries will bubble & gas when being fully charged & may lose fluid & need regular topping up as a result. Alternator charging is different, & only generally charges starter batteries to 70 or 80%, which doesn’t gas them. If you keep your battery fully charged & topped up it should give it a longer life.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

altech (30th March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Sounds ok.

Just be aware of the need to check battery fluid regularly. Suggest weekly to start with until you know what is required.
    That charger will take the battery to 100% charge when the car is not used regularly. Wet batteries will bubble & gas when being fully charged & may lose fluid & need regular topping up as a result. Alternator charging is different, & only generally charges starter batteries to 70 or 80%, which doesn’t gas them. If you keep your battery fully charged & topped up it should give it a longer life.
    Thanks Cuppa good advise from your post , My battery is the maintenance free one that SuperCheap sell for 4X4 and boats
    Last edited by altech; 16th December 2018 at 09:10 AM.
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sparkie son in law, said to me to lower the hours rate per day to 6-8 hours and may save the battery from cooking, the unit has all the overload/charge features anyway

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As the vehicle sits for extended periods of time, have you considered putting in an isolator switch (prefer double pole) to disconnect the PV panels from the charging circuit, after a couple of days, when the battery has reach a full state of charge(let it float). This would avoid cycling the battery daily and then just monitor the battery weekly or what ever and charge when needed to maintain a good SOC.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bwaaahahaha... anyone else notice old mate in the Vid likes to let his Propane bounce around in the same placcy box as his batteries?
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well spotted, possible sympathetic detonation to happen here (maybe a cook off!!!). Everything is portable though, even the battery slides about and he might as well throw a couple spanners in also.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast