Thread: TB48 ETC fault code.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB48 ETC fault code.

So after a grand total of 8 days of Nissan ownership, it broke down on me....

My regular cheapy ($100) scantool was as useless as the proverbial on a bull. After a little research, I found an article posted online be 4x4 Australia magazine ( http://www.4x4australia.com.au/gear/...03/scan-tools/ ) outlining why a scantool should be carried by every 4x4er out bush which also stated that a lot of pre-2007 nissans (and TD05 land rovers, yuck...) wont talk to these generic tools.

Before purchasing this vehicle, I did a fair bit of research on common issues and what to look for. Two things came up, O2 sensor faults (easy and cheap fix) and electronic throttle-body faults ($1k replacement).
    I did the old "disconnect the battery for a few hours" trick, and it seemed to clear. Started to drive home and ping, engine light and limp mode.

Luckily, a very good friend of mine has his own automotive shop and lent me his launch diagnostic tool.
    13324249_1449240378435080_1227785665_o.jpg
    Initially it cleared the codes, which ended up being P1122 ETC FUNCTION/CIRC, P1123 ETC MOT RLY/CIRC and P0134 HO2S1 (oxygen sensor code I suspect was thrown due to limp mode over fueling). A quick test drive later, and they had returned, but this time, it wouldn't let me erase them.

I did some googling and found a service bulletin ( http://www.autocodes.com/p1122_nissan.html ) regarding most fly-by-wire Nissans that instructs techs to preform the "Idle Air Volume Learning Procedure".
    13383356_1449240555101729_358721639_o.jpg
    Time to see how good this Launch tool is, and as it turn out, very good. I was somewhat surprised to find that it did a lot of what the consult 2 does, including coding keys. I carried out the learning procedure which takes about 5 minutes and went for a quick test drive.

No light, no codes.

Yet.

The launch tool allows you to see, in real time, graphs and numerical displays of different sensors inputs and outputs. I went through and checked the TPS and Accel pedal outputs and all seem to be linear with no glitches or dead spots through their range. Hopefully this is a good indicator that there is no hard fault with the system and it simply needed re-calibrating.
    13340578_1449240291768422_1498349427_o.jpg

Only time will tell.

I suggest, if anyone else experiences similar issues, to try this out before forking out for a $1000 part and more than likely a few hours of costly dealership labor.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clambeard For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (4th June 2016), taslucas (4th June 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clambeard View Post

I suggest, if anyone else experiences similar issues, to try this out before forking out for a $1000 part and more than likely a few hours of costly dealership labor.
    Unfortunately some don't have mates at a workshop that will let you play with their expensive diagnostic tools
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice write up. Yeah it's more common to pull out the scan tool first these days.
    I recently bought a Bluetooth obd2 tool that works with an app on a phone or tablet (or stereo). The app is called Torque and let's you see and log a heap of data. I briefly mentioned it in another thread and while it works on a huge amount of vehicles, I was told that it only works on patrols after a certain series (can't recall which, maybe series 5?)
    The OBD2 Bluetooth plug cost $20 and the app $5 so a very cheap option if you have a Patrol that it works on.

>>>tappin from tassie
    Last edited by taslucas; 4th June 2016 at 08:51 AM.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be worth finding a local independent guy that can preform this before going to nissan to be bent over though?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    Nice write up. Yeah it's more common to pull out the scan tool first these days.
    I recently bought a Bluetooth obd2 tool that works with an app on a phone or tablet (or stereo). The app is called Torque and let's you see and log a heap of data. I briefly mentioned it in another thread and while it works on a huge amount of vehicles, I was told that it only works on patrols after a certain series (can't recall which, maybe series 5?)
    The OBD2 Bluetooth plug cost $20 and the app $5 so a very cheap option if you have a Patrol that it works on.

>>>tappin from tassie
    Torque only works on Patrols that are OBD2 compliant. For Australia this is the model that has 4 O2 sensors. For older patrols and those that are not compliant (Gulf Spec) there is a tool in the Play store called Nissan datascan. The one you need is NDS2 or NDS2 Lite
    Steve
    2011 Patrol Safari 4.8 (Fitek)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbous For This Useful Post:

taslucas (5th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulbous View Post
    Torque only works on Patrols that are OBD2 compliant. For Australia this is the model that has 4 O2 sensors. For older patrols and those that are not compliant (Gulf Spec) there is a tool in the Play store called Nissan datascan. The one you need is NDS2 or NDS2 Lite
    Has anyone found where to buy these ndsi diagnostic adapters. Haven't seen them locally and O/S they're around the $100 mark.

http://m.bonanza.com/listings/consul...kage/337607506

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbous View Post
    Has anyone found where to buy these ndsi diagnostic adapters. Haven't seen them locally and O/S they're around the $100 mark.

Sent from my XT1033
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a link please for this Torque app? Found several and just wondering which one you're referring to. Thanks.
    2007 GU ST-S 4.8 Patrol.
    40mm heavy duty springs, Dual batteries,
    140 ltr fuel tank,Custom 60ltr water tank, draws, cargo barrier, bull bar, IPF spotties, UHF.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skitzyrex View Post
    Is there a link please for this Torque app? Found several and just wondering which one you're referring to. Thanks.
    Here is a link to Torque pro ($5) but you can get Torque light for free. I think it may only be for Android though.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque

>>>tappin from tassie
    Hello from Under Down Under!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

Skitzyrex (6th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay see View Post

http://m.bonanza.com/listings/consul...kage/337607506
    @jay see Isn't that just a standard 14 pin consult like the one ECUTalk sells and various other mobs

I got a consult adapter and just had to buy a lead 2 convert from 9 pin male 2 usb: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Nissan-Consult
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    @jay see Isn't that just a standard 14 pin consult like the one ECUTalk sells and various other mobs

I got a consult adapter and just had to buy a lead 2 convert from 9 pin male 2 usb: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Nissan-Consult
    Yeah, standard 14 pin. Does it have to go through a computer. Have you used a app like torque.

Just having a bit of trouble find one that will work, there's a lot of different cables/adapters out there
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast