Thread: Coolant - reminder needed.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coolant - reminder needed.

During the process of replacing a coolant hose on the car yesterday I of course lost some coolant. I topped it up, ensuring that radiator, & the 'pressurised overflow bottle were full as well as ensuring the non pressurised section of the bottle was up to the max line. I then brought the car up to temp by leaving it idling for a while. Left it overnight & the levels were the same this morning. Just did a 10km round trip into Lockhart (no more leak - yay!) & on return the pressurised side of the bottle is down (as in pic). I'm having a senior moment, unsure whether to top up the bottle or leave as is. Can someone advise please.

IMG_4328.jpeg

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just complete it and never loose my sleep over it.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know the official procedure here either, but I would be concerned about over filling it and as the liquid heats up and expands, it could potentially blow a hose.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity Cuppa, when you brought it up to temp, did you check the levels when it was hot?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For reference, this is my coolant level cold. Just fully replaced after a service a couple of weeks ago. (And a new overflow bottle as the factory one was getting chalky and brittle).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (27th August 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cremulator , your pic was helpful. How much were new bottles, mine have seen better days too, especially the overflow one which has turned white at the top.
    I asked because I was concerned like you about overfilling & blowing a hose , but thinking about it the worst that could happen would be the overflow bottle filling & overflowing.

As it is I think I'm just observing the coolant system 'settling down', purging air from the system resulting in the 'pressure bottle' level dropping. Have now topped it up to look like yours (without the nice clean & new appearance of course).

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick search on google reveals $120, probably worth doing. Mine was replaced at 170,000kms (went brittle & leaky)
    https://www.allfourx4.com.au/epages/...RoC_OsQAvD_BwE

My non pressured overflow bottle is always empty. I fill it and a week later it's empty again. I don't worry too much about it.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pollenface For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (28th August 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Thanks Cremulator , your pic was helpful. How much were new bottles, mine have seen better days too, especially the overflow one which has turned white at the top.
    I asked because I was concerned like you about overfilling & blowing a hose , but thinking about it the worst that could happen would be the overflow bottle filling & overflowing.

As it is I think I'm just observing the coolant system 'settling down', purging air from the system resulting in the 'pressure bottle' level dropping. Have now topped it up to look like yours (without the nice clean & new appearance of course).
    Mine are top and bottom genuine Nissan replacements, as the mechanic recommend better to get genuine for these components. They were around $300 for the two tanks and hose that runs between them from memory.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (28th August 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have ended up buying new tanks, but went for the cheaper Dayco tanks which are advertised of being OEM quality. $115 on ebay. Dayco DET0045
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/194103908435

For what it's worth I found the following through Google. I am sharing it as I have gained the impression, not just from this thread but past conversations also that the twin expansion & overflow(recovery) tanks are not well understood. They certainly weren't by me. https://www.mishimoto.com/engineerin...coolant-tanks/ Both work similarly but do slightly different jobs - one sealed under pressure, the other at atmospheric pressure

In short Expansion tank = less fluid loss over time, higher temps possible & better for the environment. The overflow tank becomes an 'emergency catch can' in very high pressure situations. At least as I understand what I read.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (28th August 2022)