Thread: GQ SWB fixing gutter rust

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ SWB fixing gutter rust

Hey guys I'm looking at fixing the rust spot in the gutter on my gq.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/6KNYPFd8ytI6Nwio2
    from what I've read my best option is to find someone wrecking a gq body with no rust in the section I need. Cut out a 400 or so mm section.
    Cut out my cancerous piece and weld the good piece back in. My old mans gonna help me and hes a pretty switched on.
    Can I use the gutter from a LWB gq or does it have to be a SWB?
    Any other advise would be great. Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    out of curiosity what causes the GQ rust?

Is it the roof racks? or do they rust without racks attached too. So many GQ rust along the gutter and the roof itself

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally its the roof rack but I'm not sure whats caused it on mine. Seems as though the rust started 50mm up from the gutters.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking for someone that can fix the rust as seen in the photos! I'm based in the Dandenong Ranges in Melb. If any one has any leads on someone that can do a decent job let me know!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, bloody GQ roof gutter is a bugger, mine had it pretty bad ended up putting a new rust free shell on after an earlier repair and it rearing its head again. They rust from the inside starting at the join between the roof/ gutter and the inside structural roof support. Not sure what exact reason weather it comes through the seam sealer or just moisture coming through the cab or a combination of both, sure roof racks wouldn't help putting extra stress on the seam sealer flexing it away and buggering up the paint to let moisture in.

Can be a tricky to repair as it's so pokey to get into with multiple layers and as it starts from the inside is pretty established once it rears it head and is noticeable on the outside. I know patrolapart do cut off roofs as an option that's where I got my shell from which was pretty reasonably priced i thought. Can cut out bits but it's quite likely to be all along roof on inside, may be a case of chop chop and see. SWB roofs are higher at the back for more head room in the back seats but don't know exactly where they taper from so not sure if LWB bits would work or not. . .

Good luck with it all I'll see if i can find some pics of the inside of my old rusty roof chopped up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought i had more most have deleted some.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Hey mate, bloody GQ roof gutter is a bugger, mine had it pretty bad ended up putting a new rust free shell on after an earlier repair and it rearing its head again. They rust from the inside starting at the join between the roof/ gutter and the inside structural roof support. Not sure what exact reason weather it comes through the seam sealer or just moisture coming through the cab or a combination of both, sure roof racks wouldn't help putting extra stress on the seam sealer flexing it away and buggering up the paint to let moisture in.

Can be a tricky to repair as it's so pokey to get into with multiple layers and as it starts from the inside is pretty established once it rears it head and is noticeable on the outside. I know patrolapart do cut off roofs as an option that's where I got my shell from which was pretty reasonably priced i thought. Can cut out bits but it's quite likely to be all along roof on inside, may be a case of chop chop and see. SWB roofs are higher at the back for more head room in the back seats but don't know exactly where they taper from so not sure if LWB bits would work or not. . .

Good luck with it all I'll see if i can find some pics of the inside of my old rusty roof chopped up.

Yeh I plan on doing a ute cab swap in a few years but need a half decent temp fix until then! Like you say if its come through from the inside odds are its much worse than it looks.
    Hoping someone will just be able to chop that section out and weld a new bit in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah hit up patrolapart i reckon see what bits they have, recon they could help out 4 sure. As far as welding not sure who to use kinda need to find someone who is willing to take on the not so straightforward jobs lol . .