Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: towing in 5th???

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With the fuel pump and turbo upgrade i reckon my 5th is stronger. Ive changed diff ratuos too so the rev range under load is in our fa our now @AB lagging at 2000 at 100kmh is average and causes over heating and maybe stress on the 5th.

I towed from the Murray with the camper in 5th on cruise at 115 all the way homw. Up hill ans down hill, it didnt feel a thing.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (3rd October 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our recent trip if the wind was in our favour speed was only limited by where we were ,I managed 120 on the way to Katherine at 2100 rpm that's in overdrive with the torque lock on .
    Most of the trip I just drove it overdrive off and torque lock on but I was getting 100 k at 2650 rpm , motor overheated once into a headwind between Balgo and the Tanami track at about 80k although it never happened again .
    So if it's an easy run top gear no trouble if into a head wind or up a hill definitely OD off .

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Yeah thought about that too, even not towing with increased performance from the old td pretty much pull up even the biggest hills in 5th and must put much more strain on things than standard. Thinking about the 5th gear upgrade from Mark's maybe one day as even in 5th feels like it's legs could be longer at 100 and especially 110. . Think that gives increase in strength i think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Yeah I've been looking at getting that 5th gear upgrade for mine. Doing 2450rpm at 100ks. A tad too high for my liking.

AB just dont flog it through the hilly areas. The first towing trip to Merimbula after the TD transplant I stayed in 5th a lot, only because I now had the power to tow and stay in 5th and round up anyone in front of me. The issue was, when slowing into towns and having to stop. Change to 1st and move again, I couldn't, I really struggle to get any gears. The gearbox got that hot the gear box oil was black like engine oil.

Lessen learnt. Use 5th but dont abuse 5th.
    Last edited by mudski; 3rd October 2018 at 07:03 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (3rd October 2018), Rossco (3rd October 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin Bound View Post
    great...i got the 2000 model and am pulling a 12x5 trailer that will be loaded up to its 2t capacit...I dont wanna be driving 4100km's to Darwin in 4th gear?
    I towed 2.5 tonne for about 1000km....on a 2000 y61 4.2 5 speed manual patrol....5th gear gone....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345