Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 753 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simpson, Madigan and other places

Just back from a 2 week jaunt up to the Simpson.

Left home and four days later arrived at Mt Dare. Left Mt Dare to cross the Simpson via Madigan Line.

Took us 5 days.

Night 1 we camped at Camp 1A. Night 2, just east of Camp 7. Night 3, between Camps 13 & 14. Night 4 after Camp 22 just at the foot of the last westerly dune of the QAA line.

Great trip, we did it solo, a real adventure. I went overkill with everything as we had to be self sufficient. Carried 260L of fuel, 80 litres of water and 2 spares. We used 125L on the Madigan crossing which was 730kms in length, we went to camps 17-22 with permission of property owners. Worked out to be around 17.3L/100kms which I reckon was excellent.

Not a single problem with anything which I put down to all the prep work I did before we left, we did run low on bread though.

The Madigan track is very rough, average speed was around 15-20kms/hour. It looks like most people do it west-east which is the easier way, as dunes on the east side are quite steep. They also have nasty twists in them at the tops & the bottoms so run ups can be pretty awkward.

Lots & lots & lots of dug out areas where you can see wheels had spun and dug out large holes. Lots of people blame this on people with trailers. My immediate impression was that alot of them were caused by people not turning off their traction control.

I know for a fact the only time I get stuck is when I forget to turn Bog Assist, sorry, Traction Control off, not a problem in low range, but some of the track you can do in high range & that is when I did get stuck.

We went through 12 days after the last people who signed the visitor books on the track. We saw no one from Mt Dare until the top of Big Red while enjoying the view post ascent, I turned and saw this guy walking up the dune from behind me.

The roads into Mt Dare after the Oodnadatta track are atrocious, I don't think I've driven on anything as bad ever. If you're familiar with the rough roads around Innamincka & Cordillo Downs, think of that but 3 times worse. Bumps, rocks, corrugations, more rocks, more corrugations.

The remoteness, isolation, quiet and rawness of the desert is beautiful and alarming. On the 4th day I said to my wife, I probably wouldn't do this track again as it is so very rough, but within 1 day of being home, I was already wondering when I could return.

These Patrols must be bloody tough as our truck got served up a real beating, but not a single thing seems to have suffered, except the rear tyres which have been a bit cut up.

Post Big Red we spent a day in Birdsville as we were stuffed. Next day we travelled to Bedourie for a look see as I hadn't been there before. After that we went on towards Windorah, but ended up turning south before that and started our trip towards Cordilla Downs, I'd not seen the wool shed, Innamincka and home.

Figures:
    5047 kms 14 days.
    Fuel at Mt Dare $2.50.8
    VB Can at Birdsville $8.00
    Punctures 0
    Headaches 5
    Crappy sunrises 0

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

AB (1st October 2018), Cuppa (1st October 2018), FNQGU (9th February 2020), GQtdauto (1st October 2018), jack (1st October 2018), MB (1st October 2018), MB TD42 (1st October 2018), mudnut (1st October 2018), MudRunnerTD (1st October 2018), PeeBee (1st October 2018), Rossco (1st October 2018), VK2FMIA (2nd October 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far out the worst stat there is the price of a VB can, 8 bucks for a can of that rubbish arrgggh ! !

Nice trip, think i did similar fuel figures maybe bit worse but not too bad really. Which way did you go to Mt Dare, via Bloods Ck or the shorter route, haven't taken the shorter road but heard its a shocker. .

Any pics? ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing it next year with a few inbetween bits , loved our stay in Boulia behind the racecourse wish I'd put a rod in .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear...in and out in one piece...tribute to good engineering
    I been watching the 4 wheeling western Australia crew while couch ridden...they were heading up the madigan...up to episode three...those roads look great...lol
    Quad-Drive 4WD Club...Western Australia

We're all here coz we ain't all there...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post

On the 4th day I said to my wife, I probably wouldn't do this track again as it is so very rough, but within 1 day of being home, I was already wondering when I could return.

The roads into Mt Dare after the Oodnadatta track are atrocious, I don't think I've driven on anything as bad ever. If you're familiar with the rough roads around Innamincka & Cordillo Downs, think of that but 3 times worse. Bumps, rocks, corrugations, more rocks, more corrugations.
    There are times when I've hated some roads like you (the north/south road through Millstream Chichester, in the dark, comes to mind) but also like you find that the pain & worry pale into insignificance in comparison to the overall adventure, & are soon forgotten - other than that slightly smug internal smile when you think about having done it & 'survived'.

Did you take the 'short route' between Dalhousie & Mt Dare? That is really rocky, not bone jarringly so, just slow, but I preferred it to those atrocious corrugations over the last few kms into Mt Dare.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 1st October 2018 at 09:44 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Rossco (1st October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    There are times when I've hated some roads like you (the north/south road through Millstream Chichester, in the dark, comes to mind) but also like you find that the pain & worry pale into insignificance in comparison to the overall adventure, & are soon forgotten - other than that slightly smug internal smile when you think about having done it & 'survived'.

Did you take the 'short route' from Dalhousie to Mt Dare? That is really rocky, not bone jarringly so, just slow, but I preferred it to those atrocious corrugations over the last few kms into Mt Dare.
    Remember driving into steep point on the useless loop rd with maaassive corugations, started to get s#itty then did a reality check and thought of where i was, pretty awesome and better than work that's 4 sure. Yep take the good with the bad all part of it plus makes it memorable and more worth it in the end. Just cracked a beer and plodded along at a snails pace. On the way out was dreading it but passed the grader driver then onto freshly graded road, sweeeeeeet

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB TD42 View Post
    Great to hear...in and out in one piece...tribute to good engineering
    I been watching the 4 wheeling western Australia crew while couch ridden...they were heading up the madigan...up to episode three...those roads look great...lol
    Yep I've seen those clips. Personally I don't think those guys did quite the right thing, driving at night is not the safest thing to do & driving up until midnight is even more unsafe. I'm guessing they may have had quite a bit of trouble in their trip as lots of the dunes, on their east sides, were pretty short & sharp, many without the option to take run ups. They were on their way home from Brizzy as well, so I'm guessing they were more interested in getting home rather than looking at the surroundings.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Far out the worst stat there is the price of a VB can, 8 bucks for a can of that rubbish arrgggh ! !

Nice trip, think i did similar fuel figures maybe bit worse but not too bad really. Which way did you go to Mt Dare, via Bloods Ck or the shorter route, haven't taken the shorter road but heard its a shocker. .

Any pics? ?

We went into Mt Dare via Dalhousie, Pedirka etc.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Did you take the 'short route' between Dalhousie & Mt Dare? That is really rocky, not bone jarringly so, just slow, but I preferred it to those atrocious corrugations over the last few kms into Mt Dare.
    Yes I think it was the short route, it's sounds just like your description. We passed a guy towing a camper trailer with a Honda CRV all kitted out for city driving.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran some Nitto Trail Grappler MTs that had about 3000ks on them. Heavy tyres but seem to be bloody tough.

Not a single puncture but the rears got a bit chewed up, not badly but quite noticeable. Reckon I'll get about 40,000ks out of them whereas the Cooper ST MAXXs I have are getting close to 75,000ks, I've retired them now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MB TD42 (3rd October 2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast