Thread: Buying a lifted GU Patrol from a dealership, ride height question

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I will challenge this with the Vass engineer when I go in for the s/c certification as the 1" body lift, combined with springs has me sitting back on 31" tyres!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    OK, I will challenge this with the Vass engineer when I go in for the s/c certification as the 1" body lift, combined with springs has me sitting back on 31" tyres!
    Because you have a body lift, this might be why. Maybe ring Brett at 4x4 Obsession and ask him too. Just for a second opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d prefer to wear red undies down here but they make us wear blue, what colour briefs do you blokes prefer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (30th September 2019), MudRunnerTD (30th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    The link I provided is National. Not state specific. I studied this in detail when I went through the hassles of engineering. All forgotten about now.

So are ADR's but it doesn't stop states from interpreting them and or applying them slightly differently in some cases.

Anyhow pg6 of the document you posted states that modifications can be made +-50mm of original ride height but any higher will require certification. 2in lift and 1in on tyres would be 3in higher than standard.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MB (30th September 2019)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-TJ-0 View Post
    So are ADR's but it doesn't stop states from interpreting them and or applying them slightly differently in some cases.

Anyhow pg6 of the document you posted states that modifications can be made +-50mm of original ride height but any higher will require certification. 2in lift and 1in on tyres would be 3in higher than standard.
    Yeah I can't remember to be honest. I just left it all up to the engineer when i got mine done.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mines 4inch and road legal.

The problem with this though Mark is the OP is asking about a car in a Dealership second hand with no history. If it is Mod Plated then the whole thread is a mute question. But i doubt that very much. Your tangent kind of throws it out of whack.

It is a Legal requirement for the mechanic providing the Road Worthy Certificate to ensure that it complies as he is singing it off. If in doubt then he is on the hook. If he passes it you have 30 days to challenge this and he is then obligated to make it comply regardless of cost. His incentive to Not sign something off is he doesn't want to pay for it. Ask the question. Ask the question of the RWC Mechanic. If he knows there is a question mark he will likely knock it back or make sure it is right as he will have to make good. If there is doubt then the Dealer should sort it out before the sale. If in doubt....... Walk away.

Scenario : You buy the car, you drive down the road and get pulled over by the RTA or Police in the first 30 days and given an Unroadworthy for Lift. The Mechanic is on the Hook for the FIX. The Whole Fix.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (30th September 2019), hovazz (30th September 2019), PeeBee (1st October 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    The problem with this though Mark is the OP is asking about a car in a Dealership second hand with no history. If it is Mod Plated then the whole thread is a mute question. But i doubt that very much. Your tangent kind of throws it out of whack.

It is a Legal requirement for the mechanic providing the Road Worthy Certificate to ensure that it complies as he is singing it off. If in doubt then he is on the hook. If he passes it you have 30 days to challenge this and he is then obligated to make it comply regardless of cost. His incentive to Not sign something off is he doesn't want to pay for it. Ask the question. Ask the question of the RWC Mechanic. If he knows there is a question mark he will likely knock it back or make sure it is right as he will have to make good. If there is doubt then the Dealer should sort it out before the sale. If in doubt....... Walk away.

Scenario : You buy the car, you drive down the road and get pulled over by the RTA or Police in the first 30 days and given an Unroadworthy for Lift. The Mechanic is on the Hook for the FIX. The Whole Fix.
    Thanks for the detailed response. The mechanic is heading there tomorrow morning for a thorough going over. I'll report back on anything that stands out. It's a blessing and a curse that the interpretation of the law seems so subjective, but that's true for more than just 4wd ride height.

Either way, I'm not keen on buying a 4wd that will land me in the deep end which I'm trying to avoid by having a high clearance vehicle .

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hovazz For This Useful Post:

MB (30th September 2019)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post

I was referring to Phil's comment about his nephews engineered 4inch lifted GU. As for the OP. I'd be finding about what has been fitted first. I've seen new two inch lifts look higher that what they are only because its all new and the springs haven't had time to settle. Otherwise there is a "proper" way to measure the ride height, which the Victoria Police use, which would give you an indication of height other than just looking at it and thinking it height. Stock heights and how to measure will be on the interwebs somewhere....

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was referring to Phil's comment about his nephews engineered 4inch lifted GU. As for the OP. I'd be finding about what has been fitted first. I've seen new two inch lifts look higher that what they are only because its all new and the springs haven't had time to settle. Otherwise there is a "proper" way to measure the ride height, which the Victoria Police use, which would give you an indication of height other than just looking at it and thinking it height. Stock heights and how to measure will be on the interwebs somewhere....
    Thanks Mudski appreciate the input. Good point about the different size lifts appearing different depending on age and other factors.

Got a pic of it for context. That's an image from the dealership. Might see if I can find the previous owner on any Facebook 4x4 pages since it was bought by the dealership locally (perth)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How it looks also depends on spring rates and load. I had to put the Toughdog 50mm springs in for my GVM upgrade but they're rated at 500 kgs in the rear so, without the caravan and loaded for travel, it looks like an 80mm lift. All loaded up, it looks like a 'good' 50mm lift.
    Toughdog sell it as 50mm.

lift 1.jpg

lift 2.jpg
    Last edited by jff45; 1st October 2019 at 08:07 AM.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

hovazz (2nd October 2019), trev zd30 (9th October 2019)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast