Thread: Turbo Upgrades for the GUIV TD42Ti

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Well i just did some pricing on this. on the GCG site the cart came in at $2995. I contacted their Melbourne sales guy and he got me a price of $2830 delivered and a 2 week wait.

MTQ came in at $3500 and he was busy and not super interested in talking to me. He tried to sell me a Garret GTX 2863 and said it was a great unit and id be stoked with the kit at $3000 MTQ had a Backorder of 1 month on the BW gear.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't do the garret if the price is similar to the Borgwarner. I will posy my dyno tune later today but my results were not really close to ab's.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th November 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Wow just did some ringing around for the Snorkel and Airbox!

Radius Fab
    SS Snorkel $590 (Powder coated $690) (Ram Head $790)
    Airbus (Round using a 4" pod element) $340
    Total $1130 Plus Freight

Fatz Fab
    SS Snorkel $970 (Powder coated $1080) (Ram Head $1225)
    Box Airbox $660 with larger pod element
    (Package of SS Snorkel and Airbox $1550) Plus freight
    Total $1705 Plus Freight

Assuming the SS Snorkels are bloody identical i struggle to understand the price point for Fatz? $400 difference in the Snorkel? Really?

I see the Fatz Airbox is bigger but they both have 4" flow in and out. I like the larger element in the Fatz but is it worth $320 increase?

Anyone know where i can get a Panel filter airbag? Maybe i should make one?

@mudski what airbag have you got hooked up to our radius fab snorkel mate?

Is this just TD Tax?
    I run the Radius Snorkel, I bought the 4inch ram head local for around $60 too.... My air box is the FATZ box.
    20160909_184624 (Medium).jpg

As for the price difference in snorkels. My guess is that the FATZ snorkel has hidden welds. More time and care is need in this. My Radius snorkel you can see where the joins are. Doesn't bother me though.
    Last edited by mudski; 9th November 2016 at 08:52 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th November 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow just did some ringing around for the Snorkel and Airbox!

Radius Fab
    SS Snorkel $590 (Powder coated $690) (Ram Head $790)
    Airbus (Round using a 4" pod element) $340
    Total $1130 Plus Freight

Fatz Fab
    SS Snorkel $970 (Powder coated $1080) (Ram Head $1225)
    Box Airbox $660 with larger pod element
    (Package of SS Snorkel and Airbox $1550) Plus freight
    Total $1705 Plus Freight

Assuming the SS Snorkels are bloody identical i struggle to understand the price point for Fatz? $400 difference in the Snorkel? Really?

I see the Fatz Airbox is bigger but they both have 4" flow in and out. I like the larger element in the Fatz but is it worth $320 increase?

Anyone know where i can get a Panel filter airbox? Maybe i should make one?

@mudski what airbag have you got hooked up to our radius fab snorkel mate?

Is this just TD Tax?
    Have you tried millweld Daz they are in Victoria so freight maybe cheaper snorkel prices are on par with radius fab
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo63 View Post
    Have you tried millweld Daz they are in Victoria so freight maybe cheaper snorkel prices are on par with radius fab
    Patrolapart are a distributor for Millweld too.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Kimbo63 (9th November 2016), MudRunnerTD (9th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A gtx2863 isnt even in the same league as the borg warner efr6758. You can get the turbo out of the states for about 2k Aud landed. Then just purchase the other parts from one of the suppliers over here. Should be able to save $1000 from the quote you have been given from Mtq. The quote you have from gcg isnt to bad. The biggest hold up for you will be the dump pipe as it will beed to be custom made.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @nissannewby You Sir are a Bloody Legend!! That's how I envisaged the tubes would need to go but got pretty scared in the head. That helps allot but looks time consuming. Anything I do needs to be completed during a single weekend.

Yes my EGT get high all the time and easily. Not sure if I have a faulty Pyro and i am going to replace my Autometer gauge for a VDO I think just for peace of mind. A;so on the beach and when towing she gets warm and I'm keen to set it up better.
    It doesnt need to be done in a single weekend. Sure you can have the turbo mounted and running in a weekend. just hook it up to your existing cooler. Then with other spare time mount the cooler, then another time make up the hot side pipe and another time the cold side so on and so forth. And then one weekend hook it all up. EGTs will be a non event with a Borg warner even with the factory cooler.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Turbo Upgrades for the GUIV TD42Ti

Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    A gtx2863 isnt even in the same league as the borg warner efr6758. You can get the turbo out of the states for about 2k Aud landed. Then just purchase the other parts from one of the suppliers over here. Should be able to save $1000 from the quote you have been given from Mtq. The quote you have from gcg isnt to bad. The biggest hold up for you will be the dump pipe as it will beed to be custom made.
    yeah right so i will need to mount the turbo and get it to an exhaust shop for a Dump pipe to be fitted? @AB is that what you did? i think i read that in your build. Any way i can get this Dump made prior?

Im a little time Poor, really keen to get this Turbo on before the Christmas Break if i can as I'm heading to Cape Jaffa in SA on the 27th of December for a Week on the Beach driving and want the new Turbo setup for then if i can.

Mat what do you think of the round airbox that Radius makes? there is a pic on their FB page, i will see if i can find it and post it her.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 9th November 2016 at 12:05 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple of pics. 4" in and out with a Pod filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bidja (7th November 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like this style a lot but I need to retain the dual battery tray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bidja (7th November 2018)

Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast