Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poindexter View Post
    OK guys, today it gets serious....

Truck has been dropped off for the transplant, lets see how it goes this time 'round.
    Almost a year latter to the day I dropped off the truck to the "first guy", now we start again.
    Will I start to hold my breath now, or not.
    Best of luck Ralph, hope it ends well for you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (10th December 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit the bullet today and purchased the serpentine belt upgrade to the front of the chev to double the water pump capacity and get it prepped for the Harrop 2300 supercharger installation early next year. The kit includes the new water pump, alternator, vacuum pump, Duramax 11 blade fan and new radiator shroud, crank pulley, idler take ups, upgraded serpy belt from 6 rib to 8 rib and all brackets.

The immediate challenge is deciding which snout pulley to adopt then finding the clearance as its close to the bonnet. Just found out I may need to do a 1" body lift unless I can find the space by removing part of the bonnet stiffener - late notice and a pain.If I go the smaller pulley, which will improve clearance, the dyno results from a guy in WA just this week had 1100nm and 262kw at the rear wheels on 35's, running at 12-15psi -18psi but the egt's start getting up if you stand on it, I will try not to stand on it too often. Also recommended a 4" exhaust from where the cross over pipes join, up from 3".

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

AB (7th December 2018), MB (8th December 2018)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go PeeBee.....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to poindexter For This Useful Post:

MB (10th December 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a set of 1" body lift blocks today as the SC snout looks like its going to get too close to the bonnet. Additionally, the BD supplied electric lift pump is too smaller for the application, so have to buy another one, same pressure rating, just higher flow. @poindexter, have you purchased your from BD - a Sniper I think he said? The existing pump he supplies runs out of pressure at around the 52LPHR mark according to my fuel computer and flow transmitter. Just another thing that has come out of left field. Also, probably going to need surgery on the ARB side rails as they are a close fit with the factory flares.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (10th December 2018), rusty_nail (10th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sold mine yesterday

Alas there was only room for one stonking great V8 powered Patrol in my life so 'Big Red' is off to a new and loving home and 'Moby' the great white whale is the new big kahuna.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MB (10th December 2018), PeeBee (10th December 2018), Touses (11th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sad day to hear E.T but for the best no doubt mate! Moby would suck the doors off Big Red if left alone together for too long :-)
    Whack a Harrop Supercharger on your new White Whale and watch it breach hard ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No PB, I dont have a fuel pump, will watch with interest how the supercharger goes.
    So, you are sure that the snout requires you to body lift then?
    Did the WA guys say what Injector Pump they are running?, that torque puts it outside the range of the 6L90 I have.
    I assume you are getting or have the Bullet kit?

cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being that you’re converting to a serpy belt system @PeeBee mate you may not need the rollover body lift hopefully mate. No doubt you’ve done your research that only the NA V belts we currently have need the extended forward SC snout.
    A custom fiberglass bonnet bump could look mean and make some more wiring space good man!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poindexter View Post
    No PB, I dont have a fuel pump, will watch with interest how the supercharger goes.
    So, you are sure that the snout requires you to body lift then?
    Did the WA guys say what Injector Pump they are running?, that torque puts it outside the range of the 6L90 I have.
    I assume you are getting or have the Bullet kit?

cheers
    I am surprised you were not sold one with the big injector pump? I know that mine (existing)needs the pre-charge. We did a high country trip last year and I managed to pull a connector apart and disable the pump, the thing ran like a limp dog, soon as i found the issue and plugged it back in, all the smoking and carry on ceased. I specifically asked Greg today if the lift pump they supply for the Optimiser N/A is going to sufficient as it is maxed out, according to my instrumentation on board at 8psi at idle, then falls away to zero psi at 52LPHR. He replied I would need a "Sniper Pump' which was still running at 8PSI but higher volume at WOT. - another $200 thank you - so i am having a look on the net to see if i can find one, as the one I have on the vehicle and the spare i bought from BD, but later found them on the net at 1/4 of the price, delivered.

Regards pump he refers to a 300HP pump and its set up by the guy in WA, the Standyne expert. Before I take delivery of it I need to decide if I want to go 10psi or 16psi, as no doubt that will affect the pump calibration. the injectors are also supplied as Turbo spec, and these are also required. I am trading in my existing pump as part payment for the new one as mine has only done 5000klm

The SC is a Harrop 2300. I rang Harrop in Melbourne direct but they dont sell the inlet manifold or gaskets or the linkage assy for the throttle - not sure I need it, but will determine in due course. They did say they supply the SC to Bullet for their kit though. I think I will probably purchase it thru BD so at least i have some certainty of supply. I know Bullet have some skeletons in the closet and I tried to call them but the call went 'nowhere' and they have not answered my emails.

Regards the body lift, i am totally confused. I have two photos showing the snout and pulley is below the top of the oil filler cap, yet one guy in WA 'just did the lift to give a bit more clearance', and BD are saying it needs to be done. My issue is that its another thing to do, another issue with engineering to overcome and the ARB side Rails are going to hit the factory flares before i reach 25mm lift on the front, so this will require some surgery. I could leave the lift until its installed I guess, however the fan cowl needs to be manufactured to fit the duramax 11 blade fan, and it can't be made to cope with the possibility of the vehicle lift or not as the centre will be 25mm different - so need to make a decision and its do the lift, and know 100% the snout will fit and the fan will sit on the centreline of the cowl. I don't know the clearance or the effect of say making a circular fan operate in an elongated slot cowling??

Regards transmission I am going to stay with the manual for now as its what i prefer to use in the bush. I can't see me needing all this torque until i start towing something to be honest, but just being a torque pig should be fun, as long as the clutch can take it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (10th December 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Being that you’re converting to a serpy belt system @PeeBee mate you may not need the rollover body lift hopefully mate. No doubt you’ve done your research that only the NA V belts we currently have need the extended forward SC snout.
    A custom fiberglass bonnet bump could look mean and make some more wiring space good man!

Mark, still struggling to find out the ruth whether the 25mm lift is needed or not, so can't wait for a qualified answer as the cowl needs to be manufactured, so going with the lift anyway. Its a tiny shift to C.O.G., and don't expect to alter anything with our HC trips. Regards a custom bonnet like yours, well I did enquire at the time you got yours but that mob don't have a mould, so it got complicated and expensive. they wanted me to buy a bonnet, ship it to them, then place a minimum order of 5 units to get it down to what you paid - which i can't remember right now, so 'looking mean or not' its not in the budget.

I am going to address the wiring issue on day, but not right now. Its a bloody rats-nest i agree and impossible to trouble shoot.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (10th December 2018)

Page 108 of 135 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast