OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has changed there radiators due to modifications?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loving the insights guys, I am not saying anything ethere way but just an experience from one of the guys in my 4wd club he had a Gu I can not remember why he changed radiators but he put a bigger one in with no cowling probably for towing purposes but it was over heating he took it to a Nissan guy who said that you can not beat factory and that it was to big a radiators so he ordered a genuine Nissan rad with full cowling and he has towed with no problems since

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I'm not in the know, to be able to tell the difference at a science / physics / atom level whether copper dissipates heat better at car radiator application.
    But...
    Having a computer building and overclocking hobby since early teens, there is always one staple rule when it comes to air cooling heat sink fans.

A copper base with aluminum fins is always a go-to application (air cooled system), because it has been tested and proven.
    Scientifically why? I don't know... But my understanding is that copper has a higher thermal conductivity than aluminum, and aluminum dissipates heat faster than copper. So airflow will remove heat from Ali faster than from copper? But Copper will conduct / spread heat across it's physical form faster than anything else?

Now, whether this applies to radiators, because there is a liquid form involved in the heat transfer process... *shrug*
    The water cooling blocks in PC systems are usually Nickel. But sometimes, it is a copper plate with water galleries that run to a aluminium radiator in a closed loop water circuit...

Another example I know of is, some of our very old 66kV / 22kV transformers at work had copper windings, and brass casing, but it had very large aluminium external oil cooling fins / tanks ... Is that saying something? * shrug *

Again, how this if at all, would apply to car radiators?
    Dont know Hodge'y but the first thing that comes to mind is that is simple to make aluminium extrusions as opposed to fabrication out of copper. Copper is far more difficult and more expensive to work with - maybe. From my understanding dissipation is just another way of saying conduction, just that conduction implies, incorrectly,a heat transfer in a positive direction, and dissipation in a negative direction. >

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Hodge (9th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this company link below that appears inline with @PeeBee ‘s metallurgy knowledge.

“Copper is actually a better conductor of heat than aluminum.”

“If you could build a copper radiator the exact same way we make the aluminum ones, it would work better than the aluminum. It would also weigh about 90 pounds.”

https://www.dewitts.com/blogs/news/1...rs-cool-better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (9th December 2018), Rossco (9th December 2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12