User Tag List

Thread: Finally Fixed all the niggly problems I had with my GU

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally Fixed all the niggly problems I had with my GU

I have finally fixed all the niggly problems I have had with my GU.

First I jacked it up and removed the wheels. Then I pulled out the auto gearbox and removed the troublesome ZD30. Next I unbolted the body mounts and separated the body from the chassis.

I then removed the chassis from the stands and replaced it with one from a rally proven Porsche Cayenne. This one has adjustable air strut suspension, all-wheel drive with three diff locks and brakes you would not believe! I then replaced the ZD30 with a 3 litre V6 diesel that puts out an easy 200 kW without any work done to it. This I mated to an eight speed auto transmission. This combination is smooth and powerful and the only way I could match the fuel consumption with the original GU would be to drive the Patrol off a cliff with the engine switched off.

I installed all the electronics, instruments and computers that came with the engine and gearbox, plus I even put in the fully electrically adjustable and climate controlled seats – complete with seat belts that work from out of the factory.

The real dilemma I had was with the Patrol’s body. After a lot of measuring and head scratching I decided that a body sourced from a VW Touareg fitted better, was much lighter, a bit more compact, but had a lot more aerodynamics than the original besser brick usually possesses.

After everything was finally assembled I placed the Nissan badge on the front grill, TI stickers on the rear sides (I think this deserves TI classification – don’t you?) and I was ready to give it a spin.

WOW does it go, corner, stop and tow! The 2.5 ton van follows along nicely and easily. Plus it goes surprisingly well off road. Push a button and turn a knob and the suspension rises, the diff locks engage and away we go!

I just love my modified GU Patrol!

I did keep all the original bits and reassembled them as a keepsake and for really serious off road stuff when panel damage is immanent. It still does that job extremely well.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (26th August 2021), MB (27th August 2021), Mickhead (25th October 2021), mudski (26th August 2021), Plasnart (26th August 2021), Rossco (26th August 2021), Stropp (27th August 2021), Touses (25th October 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What were the niggly problems you were having?
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do I start? Third engine - fourth head - second turbo - radiator fell apart - gear box did not engage drive when cold - water leaks when it rains - front wheels wobble at 80kpm - seat belts are shit - crap fuel economy - rubbish power, especially when towing - all the usual Patrol issues - and more.

That said, I still love my Patrol.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

Mickhead (25th October 2021), Touses (27th August 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's certainly a bad run.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Patrol, but .................. they do have problems, especially the ZD30 DI. Why Nissan persisted with this engine for so long is anyones guess -although the CRD version is an improvement. However, mine has 500,000 k on the speedo, has done multiple laps of OZ (mostly towing some type of van), has done most "Iconic" 4WD tracks all over Australia - including lots of beach driving - and has driven just about every track in the Vic/NSW High Country. It has had an "adventurous" life. Also the Patrol has been part of numerous Off Road training courses which has usually meant recovering other vehicles.

I have repaired / replaced all the faults it has had over the years - it was always treated to the best of care - and it it still goes very well.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

jff45 (27th August 2021), MB (27th August 2021), Mickhead (25th October 2021), Stropp (27th August 2021)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Third engine .. ??? so what are you doing with them? Are they new? are they used? how do you drive? seems a bit weird to me. I've never had to replace and engine in my car .. fourth head ??? again .. what is happening? Radiator fell apart ??? how many k's had it done for that to happen .. were you using coolant and not just tap water? Water leaks ?? where from? Wheel wobble .. yep been there and done that .. a simple offset bearing and job done .. (and is the same for any solid front axle vehicle) .. seat belts .. yep mine are slow to retract .. otherwise they are fine .. fuel economy .. is yours a 3.0? I get between 9 and 13L/100km;s .. … Rubbish power .. mines a 3L .. I bought it to be economical and sure in city driving it's a lump .. but it's also a heavy vehicle.. I didn't expect it to be anything else . what is yours? I got mine for general touring and yes I've done the standard mods. Yes it has faults but then so does ANY other 4x4. I've been places I feared to go and it was the car that got me there without a fuss. I've seen $100000 cruisers bogged to the hilt and I've pulled them out without any wheelspin or fuss .. and we are talking the v8 .. so I cannot complain .. but let us know more of the circumstances .. it might be a learning experience for us all and people might be able to help you :-)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But do you sill love your Patrol?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    I love my Patrol, but .................. they do have problems, especially the ZD30 DI. Why Nissan persisted with this engine for so long is anyones guess -although the CRD version is an improvement. However, mine has 500,000 k on the speedo, has done multiple laps of OZ (mostly towing some type of van), has done most "Iconic" 4WD tracks all over Australia - including lots of beach driving - and has driven just about every track in the Vic/NSW High Country. It has had an "adventurous" life. Also the Patrol has been part of numerous Off Road training courses which has usually meant recovering other vehicles.

I have repaired / replaced all the faults it has had over the years - it was always treated to the best of care - and it it still goes very well.
    Wait till the toerag has issues and see if you can repair the faults keep us posted ! 😂😂😂

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickhead For This Useful Post:

Rossco (25th October 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said - @mudski - I do love my Patrol. It has done every iconic track in Oz - some of them a number of times. It has done three laps of Oz - most of it towing. It has 500,000 km on the dial and yes - it has had problems. And yes there are fixes for the problems - but when the 1999 GU Patrols have the same shitty issues as 2016 Patrols - you do have to wonder. The engines and heads - buggered if I know. I treat it like a baby. Oil change every 5000 km. NADS and EGT gauge with alarm so it has never been over temp. Just really, really unlucky?

But the Touareg is another experience. Totally different car and it really is horses for courses. And before you scoff - one of the reasons I bought it - a mate who is also a Patrol nut bought a Touareg a couple of years ago. On one trip he went from Albury/Wodong to Birdsville - across the Simpson to Alice - then to the Rock and the Gun Barrel - up the Canning to Halls Creek - then to the WA coast and the Gibb River road. Not a bad trip he reckoned.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

mudski (27th October 2021)