OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 955 of 1046 FirstFirst ... 4558559059459539549559569579651005 ... LastLast
Results 9,541 to 9,550 of 10452

Thread: What did you do to your Patrol today!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-TJ-0 View Post
    Front RDA slotted and dimpled rotors and yellowstuff pads, thanks @Cuppa (I think it was you) for your recommendation. Also put a new extended main braided brake line on there too.

They say no emergency braking for first 200 miles, so haven't been able to stomp them. They do definitely feel like I'm driving a different car already though!
    Good stuff, braided line too!
    Have you got the bedding in instructions - easy to do, but important I think. I did the x3 for Yellowstuff. Performance noticeably improved whilst out doing it.

When a vehicle has had both new rotors and/or just new pads fitted, there are two processes or objectives, to getting the brake system to operate at optimal performance.
    The first step is to make sure the disc face is clean of all oils/anti rust or any foreign matter like previous brake pad material. If the rotors are not being replaced, then it is imperative that the disc is machined, prior to the fitment of new pads- without exception.
    The second step is heating (not cooking) the brake rotor and pads, to transfer the pad material evenly, onto the rotor face.
    This step involves performing a series of stops, so that the brake rotor and pad are heated steadily, to allow the transfer of pad material onto the brake rotor friction surface. The friction surface should be clear of all oils, which are used to stop the rotor from rusting, before being fitted to the motor vehicle. Whilst these will be burnt off, they risk transferring and possibly polluting the brake pad material and will definitely lead to a longer bedding-in process. Whilst performing a series of brake applications to transfer the pad material, care should be taken to not come to a complete stop, as this can lead to the transfer of pad material unevenly on the disc at the point where the pad comes to rest on the friction surface.
    • A typical program of 8-9 brake applications, from 60km down to 10km p/hour, without any cool down in between would be sufficient.
    For performance pad materials, a further two sequences of ten stops will be required after a cooling down period between each cycle, to ensure that the pads have reached the required higher operating temperature to allow for the pad material to transfer effectively.*
    At all times during the bedding in process, care should be taken to not apply the brakes in a harsh manner or decelerate from high speeds, as this will corrupt the transfer of materials and lead to uneven material build up on the rotor surface, which in most instances will require machining to regain a flat rotor surface for optimal operation (Disc thickness vibration-DTV-which leads to brake judder or vibration-see RDA/EBC Bulletin #1

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (11th July 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprock View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but why the extended brake line ? Surely the factory 1 isn’t to short to allow wheel travel ? Unless you’ve got a big lift & no sway bars I guess
    It's got a 2in lift in it and at full drop of the front axel the factory line was guitar string tight. It's not too often you get that condition driving but I probably should have changed it long ago to be honest. Not proud of that, but there ya go. Got it done now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Good stuff, braided line too!
    Have you got the bedding on instructions - easy to do, but important I think. I did the x3 for Yellowstuff. Performance noticeably improved whilst out doing it.

When a vehicle has had both new rotors and/or just new pads fitted, there are two processes or objectives, to getting the brake system to operate at optimal performance.
    The first step is to make sure the disc face is clean of all oils/anti rust or any foreign matter like previous brake pad material. If the rotors are not being replaced, then it is imperative that the disc is machined, prior to the fitment of new pads- without exception.
    The second step is heating (not cooking) the brake rotor and pads, to transfer the pad material evenly, onto the rotor face.
    This step involves performing a series of stops, so that the brake rotor and pad are heated steadily, to allow the transfer of pad material onto the brake rotor friction surface. The friction surface should be clear of all oils, which are used to stop the rotor from rusting, before being fitted to the motor vehicle. Whilst these will be burnt off, they risk transferring and possibly polluting the brake pad material and will definitely lead to a longer bedding-in process. Whilst performing a series of brake applications to transfer the pad material, care should be taken to not come to a complete stop, as this can lead to the transfer of pad material unevenly on the disc at the point where the pad comes to rest on the friction surface.
    • A typical program of 8-9 brake applications, from 60km down to 10km p/hour, without any cool down in between would be sufficient.
    For performance pad materials, a further two sequences of ten stops will be required after a cooling down period between each cycle, to ensure that the pads have reached the required higher operating temperature to allow for the pad material to transfer effectively.*
    At all times during the bedding in process, care should be taken to not apply the brakes in a harsh manner or decelerate from high speeds, as this will corrupt the transfer of materials and lead to uneven material build up on the rotor surface, which in most instances will require machining to regain a flat rotor surface for optimal operation (Disc thickness vibration-DTV-which leads to brake judder or vibration-see RDA/EBC Bulletin #1
    Well, I've done that once. I didn't realise it needs to be done 2 more times. Looks like I'll still be able to get it done as the next 2 are done after a cool down anyway. I'll have a look at that tomorrow. Thanks mate.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

10G (12th July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swapped out that radiator hose.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

10G (12th July 2020), mudski (11th July 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulled the radius arms out today.
    Its a covid job.........
    The bushes on the left arm were a not the best.
    left side raduis arm.JPGIMG_4400.JPG
    Have a new complete set coming next week.

Cheers Trevor

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tryan277 For This Useful Post:

10G (12th July 2020), MB (4th August 2020), mudnut (11th July 2020), mudski (11th July 2020), PeeBee (11th July 2020), Rossco (11th July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate , there ya go

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sprock For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (12th July 2020), 10G (12th July 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took the drawers out. Served me well but time for a change and an update now I have the camper as primary means of storage(and weight). Not sure what the plan is, but probably just tubs.

IMG_20200713_110950.jpg

Much more room!
    IMG_20200714_132814.jpg

Also, they are for sale in northern suburbs of Adelaide if anyone is interested.
    IMG_20200714_132309.jpg
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

10G (14th July 2020), MB (4th August 2020), mudnut (3rd August 2020)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making it a bit easier to see whats going on behind the big bastard by adding a reversing camera with Bluetooth radio. Aldi special for 70 bucks. Slam her into reverse and the video feed from the reverse camera kicks in. I've got a 3 year old and I am paranoid about him following or sneaking outside without me knowing.
    IMG_20200802_133925983.jpgIMG_20200802_133939567.jpg
    Last edited by gazq; 3rd August 2020 at 08:05 AM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gazq For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (3rd August 2020), 10G (3rd August 2020), jay see (4th August 2020), MB (4th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flushed the rad with a alkaline rad cleaner today after checking it a few days ago to find the coolant was black and the hoses had gone hard on the inside due to corrosion buildup.
    First flushed and refiled with water for a few days which came out fairly clean when draining before putting in the rad cleaner for a 20min drive which loosened up a heap more but I think there is still a lot left so I will probably be flushing it again in another 6-12 months.

I know they say better late than never but this may just have been to late.
    Here is a little of what came out when draining the cleaner which is probably not as bad as the coolant that was first drained.
    IMG_20200804_171240_9.jpgIMG_20200804_171231_9.jpg

TD42 was replaced a few years back and the used engine must have been a bit rusty as I had it flushed by mechanics 3 times in the first six months before forgetting to look at it again for a few years.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dasa For This Useful Post:

MB (4th August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Work Dasa Mate!
    Does make us wonder how many overheating water TD42’s need to consider a top system clean start from scratch approach too mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazq View Post
    Making it a bit easier to see whats going on behind the big bastard by adding a reversing camera with Bluetooth radio. Aldi special for 70 bucks. Slam her into reverse and the video feed from the reverse camera kicks in. I've got a 3 year old and I am paranoid about him following or sneaking outside without me knowing.
    IMG_20200802_133925983.jpgIMG_20200802_133939567.jpg
    Nice mate. Over 40 years ago my old man came home for lunch one day, and just before he left to go back to work I had been bouncing up and down on the tow bar of his car in the driveway (I was about 4 or 5 I think). I slipped off the tow ball and got the right cuff of my pants hooked over the ball. Laying there on my back trying to unhook my pants, the old man came out to go back to work. I shut up because I thought I'd get in trouble for jumping on the tow ball. He got in but before reversing down the drive he thought he should check behind the car as I wasn't around which was unusual. He found me laying there with one foot hooked to the tow bar. I was too naive to know the danger but he turned white. Cameras are a good thing.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (5th August 2020), MB (9th August 2020), Mickhead (5th August 2020), mudnut (5th August 2020), Winnie (5th August 2020)

Page 955 of 1046 FirstFirst ... 4558559059459539549559569579651005 ... LastLast