Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HR trucks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Good on you Dom mate, earning tickets (licences) can be a great valuable thing in life!
    I would say the blokes at Armstong’s are advising you correctly mate. Only MR legally still under my belt from when I was a young bloke and TBH have never found the need to go over 15T in my game.
    If the cost these days for HR were the same as MR then would go for it mate!
    In regards ‘crash’ non-synchro box, unless your future plans or a job offer was on the cards then again Armstrong’s would be suggesting well for a synchro licence being enough I would agree.
    Have only ever mucked around in an old mates Scania on backroads and reckon dozens more hours for me to pass in this day and age would be needed.
    Good luck mate, keep us posted with the good news :-) !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey MB,

Thanx for the advice mate.
    The only issue is that it was a girl that gave me the advice to go with synchromesh, not a bloke.
    Since she was at the front desk dealing with guys who come for the tests(and gals occasionally I reckon for bus licenses)
    her answers and warning should carry some good weight. But, when I asked her definitive questions like if she has any examples or stats in their system or her memory about guys failing the HR with nonsynchromesh, she couldn't answer, so I insisted(to her) I better go for non-synchro and get it over with since I won't have any restrictions and that would boost my chances of any truckie jobs(hopefully).
    I have been considering going for HR 'cos of having to earn some part time cash while doing other things that doesn't generate any cash. I dunno whether there is such thing called part time truckie, but HR license is required to drive metro busses as well(Apparently, but probably non-synchro or synchro isn't necessary 'cos all of them are auto).
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brissieboy View Post
    For what it's worth, I reckon you should go for the crash box. If you are going to drive a truck, you will almost certainly come up against a crash box at some stage.
    People get scared of the number of gears and the high/low range, but it really isn't rocket science. It will take a bit of practice but it will probably surprise you how easily it come to you.
    Your first session(s) should be simple gear changes up and down, up and down, up and down, etc, 3, 4, 5, 6 which is the top 2 in low range then the lower 2 in high range (12 speed road ranger). There is a 'splitter' as well but that is a piece of cake. After some experience out in the real world you will probably do most of your changes without even using the clutch.
    And definitely go for HR.
    If you get an open licence (not auto only) you will never have to do it again. Upgrading can be done in an auto as you have already proven your ability to handle the crash box.
    I have open MC and some years experience up to and including road trains.
    Cool, thanx mate. and thanx for the encouragement.
    Another thing is that if I go for auto or synchro and later wanna upgrade, the cost will be pretty much the same as doing it all over again, which is another thing that made me wanna go for HR non-synchro.
    And I'm loving the term you just introduced me to, the "crash box".
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Farkin Old Inter Acco on da Newell highway run can be fun with a funny farkin stuck split diff @AB :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Just got for it mate. Nothing to lose. I love driving non Synchro. Just something about it, feels "trucky" and more powerful. We have a few trucks left in the yard with Eaton Road ranger boxes. 8 speed shifts, with Lo/Lo., and I am pretty sure im the only one who puts their hand up to drive one out. I love it.
    Pretty much got clutchless changes down pat, when the box is fully warm.

When you go for training drives etc, the assessors will see whether you're cool with it or not.
    When I went for my semi/artic, and b/double, I was shit out of luck as I was in a different truck just about every day throughout the 4 day course...
    You get used to one truck and find the sweet rev range spots and then the next day its all from scratch lol.

When I was at training school recently for mobile crane refreshers, their truck license area was like Bangladesh ....
    I've lived & driven in south Asian countries and I know what you mean. It's great practice 'cos you have to watch out for pot holes in every square foot while blokes cutting you off all the time. The demand of focus was intense. It says they have no road rules, but that's not true. They do have rules, it's all in their heads, not in the books.

I've never owned an auto vehicle all my life and only driven a one once or twice when I had to in jobs and helping mates. I've been manual gear guy and hoping to stay that way even if I make it to the geriatric age group.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go for full HR license aka "crashbox". In any case you will have mandatory "log book" training anyway so instructor will pass you as you progress through. To only do sychro or auto box is in fashion but you will get condition on your license or handicap so will not be able to drive anything non synchros. Do it once do it right. Crash boxes are not as difficult as some make it so, hardest part is to get used the clutch pedal operation that is you do not de-clutch fully to the floor (clutch brake will engage) stuffing the gear changes.

Yes its true "manual Roadrangers" boxes are pretty much rare these days, the uptake of automated ones is basically 100 to 1 so unless you'll get in to older clunker, last 5 years of trucking is mostly auto shift boxes.

I must admit I avoid crash boxes these days as driving auto shifts (even non Road ranger based) is so trivial and easy that even synchro manual is a chore. Every truck maker has them and some are better then others.....

If you can afford it go full.

Regards
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 14th February 2018 at 10:51 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

dom14 (14th February 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Look into Government subsidies for your Truck License as a Re-skill qualifies you for subsidy. My Dad got it for free. If its free then go for Gold.

Non-Syncro is pretty basic once you have the hang of it. As ET says though plenty of Companies have moved away from Non-syncro boxes in their fleet for this reason so you need to figure out if it really is a limitation. I have unrestricted and was driving a Non Syncro HR for 8 years and really enjoyed changing gears. My Company is now moving to Auto boxes as the licenses are easier to get.

It really is Armstrongs Job to get you through and give you the skills. I would start your training with the Non-Syncro and if you havent got the hang by Lunch on day 2 then test in a Syncro box. the assessor will know what the right choice is. If you dont even try you will never know though and to go back and get that restriction removed you have to retest and retrain.
    Thanx mate.
    When I did my bikie license with them, they didn't help a lot, but didn't let me fail either.
    I reckon the instructors don't like seeing the same guy again another day and make sure the guys get through
    the stuff to the minimum requirements to pass it. They were also sympathetic with migrants that weren't good with
    the MCQ test on the computer.
    Yeah, the girl at Armstrong told me they are not that common these days

The advice is obviously unanimous here, that I should go for non-synchro and see how I go.
    I will do a bit of homework before and see if I can find a mate with a non-synchro truck that can give me a go in a paddock or something.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
    I'd go for full HR license aka "crashbox". In any case you will have mandatory "log book" training anyway so instructor will pass you as you progress through. To only do sychro or auto box is in fashion but you will get condition on your license or handicap so will not be able to drive anything non synchros. Do it once do it right. Crash boxes are not as difficult as some make it so, hardest part is to get used the clutch pedal operation that is you do not de-clutch fully to the floor (clutch brake will engage) stuffing the gear changes.

Yes its true "manual Roadrangers" boxes are pretty much rare these days, the uptake of automated ones is basically 100 to 1 so unless you'll get in to older clunker, last 5 years of trucking is mostly auto shift boxes.

I must admit I avoid crash boxes these days as driving auto shifts (even non Road ranger based) is so trivial and easy that even synchro manual is a chore. Every truck maker has them and some are better then others.....

If you can afford it go full.

Regards
    Thanx mate.
    Price wise it's not much of a difference between non-synchro, synchro and auto.
    It's that the chick at Armstrong warned me about the possibility(higher one according to her) of failing it.
    I'll try not to take truckie advice from a chick next time, even in a truckie training yard.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    snip...
    I'll try not to take truckie advice from a chick next time, even in a truckie training yard.
    Hehehe... over here in WA it pays not to be too quick to rule out Trucking advice from the fairer sex... unless you speak Bengali
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

dom14 (15th February 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Hehehe... over here in WA it pays not to be too quick to rule out Trucking advice from the fairer sex... unless you speak Bengali
    Yes, and it is in the middle of the summer after all. We do need all the 'advice' we can get from chicks during this time of the year.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh dear,
    I just had to do a refresher for my HR at work .. the first thing my Teacher Examiner said to me if you do not use your clutch every change instant failure.
    and then gave me a thing to read from Fuller transmissions . I had a bit of trouble remembering to clutch .. but got it . It was a new Isuzu with an 18 speed . . the highlight was a few hours on the skid pan going sideways ..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast