Page 34 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Chev

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phil, I'm using Penrite HPR Deisel semi synthetic 15-50 with no need to top up between 5K oil changes, used about 400ml on 11k round trip to the Cape. Re coolant, I have only used Nulon concentrate mixing 50/50 with demineralised water, for max air flow block the sides and top of your radiator, as mentioned previously large spotties and winch control box in front of your grille will make a difference to air flow. Good luck with the new donk, let us know how it goes.

regards

Peter

2. The Following User Says Thank You to peterc99 For This Useful Post:

MB (8th October 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterc99 View Post
    Hi Phil, I'm using Penrite HPR Deisel semi synthetic 15-50 with no need to top up between 5K oil changes, used about 400ml on 11k round trip to the Cape. Re coolant, I have only used Nulon concentrate mixing 50/50 with demineralised water, for max air flow block the sides and top of your radiator, as mentioned previously large spotties and winch control box in front of your grille will make a difference to air flow. Good luck with the new donk, let us know how it goes.

regards

Peter
    Thanks Peter,
    vehicle held up another day due to an employee calling in sick and the speedo correction module needed to be fitted - just life I guess and I am not too wound up as I know its only 10 days away once it leaves Bunbury tomorrow. Good info regards the oil and coolant - thanks. I am still trying to find the K&N equivalent filter and will let you know if I do. Its been a really good interchange with Greg at BD and he is certainly focused on the vehicle being 'right' before it leaves. The exhaust was reworked twice as he wasn't happy with the clearance on the PTO/hyd pump set-up I have for the front winch - and this is focus you want and are happy to pay for - I don't need a headache when the vehicle finally gets here.
    Anyway, appreciate all the help and feedback from within the forum so far and will certainly keep you abreast of the developments.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (8th October 2016)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    G'day Phil, Please do focus on cooling the new beast down under load IMHO! We've got Yank donks that had original issues already yet we squeeze them into tiny Q's & U's & Yoda's. Some blokes up FNQ have received descent sized oil coolers to solve their experiences, I believe have read ?
    MB, I have already worked out my plan for additional oil capacity and cooling, so will update once its completed - have to wait a little bit longer for the vehicle but its coming!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (8th October 2016), rainsey (12th October 2016)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys,

response from K&N is they do not have a serviceable equivalent to the Donaldson filter used on the n/a motors.

Vehicle update is it leaves Bunbury this monday - faulty tacho stopped it leaving the shop this time. Anyway, at least it will be right.
    Phil

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (8th October 2016), rainsey (12th October 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Phil,
    Appreciate filter info mate!
    Exciting times, your beast is coming back, happy days!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi folks,

Whilst I am absolutely stoked with my new 6.5 Chev, I have a slight issue with an oil leak. Thought I would put it out there to see if any one may have any ideas.

Firstly I have to praise Brunswick as they have let me use my own mechanic over east and have been covering the cost as warranty.

The leak displays itself as oil dripping off the return to centre steering damper spring. We have traced the leak to be in out around the front main crank seal. So far we have :-
    1: Replaced the front main crank seal.
    2: replaced the water pump gasket
    3: now today pulled the sump off and re sealed it.

I still have the leak. For the life of all of us, we cannot actually pin point the source of the oil. My only thought now is some excessive crank case pressure pushing oil out the main crank seal.

I don't particularly want to spend another 3 grand shipping the truck over to WA and back so I thought I would put it out there.. Anyone with a 6.5 had any very covert difficult to find oil leaks at the front of the engine?

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Has the oil fill point been checked its sealing? Timing cover in front of the injection pump?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh,
    The funny thing is that there is no splatter and no indication its coming from higer up the engine.

What makes it hard to fault fins is that the entire engine is gloss black. Bugger to find a oil sheen against. My mechanic keeps threatening to spay paint it mat grey so he can see any drips!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    where are you located again?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @rainsey are you sure it is in fact an engine oil leak. Had trouble locating a stubborn leak in The Pig and turned out to be tiny split in a hose on power steering pump.
    Mixed with crud, corruption and greasy bits it looked an awful lot like engine oil on the ground! Worth looking further about engine bay!
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

Page 34 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast