Thanked 4,851 Times in 2,423 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Whataboutwoundabouts City Styling :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Left right ok mate. Just quick up down transitions not so great.
    When you have to shoot, shoot.
    Don't talk.
    ~Tuco.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

MB (18th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,207 Times in 513 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Gday BigCol. This is exatly why I opened this thread; to hear all opinions and input.

MB slapped me a beauty by introducing serious undulations into the equation, and of course WDH towing is really below par in this scenario.

Being the Nissan Patrol forum youd think I'd considered that, but I posted with my own heavy towing requirements in mind, being a 2T+ boat on the back heading up the road.

My very bad!

I will stand by my comments for heavy towing but for lighter offroad towing yes the bags would be a goer.

Cheers mate.
    You mention it is for a boat trailer , quite a different design to a caravan chasis, being the draw bar on a boat trailer is usually a single straight bar , vs A frame on a van , can the boat trailer design draw bar handle the load put on it by a WDH being that both WDH bars would be attached to the one point on the draw bar ?
    Also whats the braking system on the boat trailer, over 2t should elec/ hydrolic or does it have over ride brakes , if over ride would the WDH bars reduce braking ability?
    Just my thoughts .

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

Thanks
    Thanked 4,851 Times in 2,423 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaddy View Post
    You mention it is for a boat trailer , quite a different design to a caravan chasis, being the draw bar on a boat trailer is usually a single straight bar , vs A frame on a van , can the boat trailer design draw bar handle the load put on it by a WDH being that both WDH bars would be attached to the one point on the draw bar ?
    Also whats the braking system on the boat trailer, over 2t should elec/ hydrolic or does it have over ride brakes , if over ride would the WDH bars reduce braking ability?
    Just my thoughts .

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Gday Gaddy. Yes you're right the boat trailer is a single drawbar with approx 125mm section height. The WDH anchors are attached to a crossbar so they are straight when hooked up and trailer is over 30 years old so yeah it can handle the weight. I upgraded the brakes from vacuum actuated to electric with breakaway function when I bought it and lets hope I never find out if the WDH bars impede that function! I suppose if the trailer doesn't come away more than a couple of hundred mm then yeah that could get exciting.
    When you have to shoot, shoot.
    Don't talk.
    ~Tuco.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,337 Times in 3,176 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Factoring out recalibrated or different springs and debating only WDH versus Airbags.

WDH only applicable to a towed setup - eminently suitable to one heavy constant load on good surfaces but limited to one setup per Van, can be total disaster offroad or over uneven surfaces as capable of transmitting extreme loads to chassis as the Rig pitches over washouts etc.

Airbags can be used for multiple purposes - versatile in that they can be used to compensate for any load config (towed or laden) but become less effective at higher loads and can point load coil towers or whatever.

Bottom line is, IMHO, if you tow a heavy Ball Load and don't venture into too gnarly a territory then WDH is prob best solution, if you tow lighter or varying Ball Loads (different trailers) and/or carry varying loads from day to day or trip to trip then Airbags are a no brainer... FWIW its worth I'll be putting Kevvie sleeved Bags on my Y62 (around $350 if fitting myself)
    Last edited by the evil twin; 18th January 2019 at 03:10 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (19th January 2019), MB (18th January 2019), Plasnart (18th January 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,555 Posts
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ET, have you considered the BOSS airbags that mount directly between the chassis and the axle housing? I have the kevlar firsstone units on my Patrol and have decommissioned them as the coils are now free to do what they please and the airbags can be pumped up to level the vehicle and not induce a cantilever load into the coil mounts - unsure if Nissan has engineered the frailty of the coil mounts into the 62 series or fixed it, but for me if you go for bags inside the coils the coils handling changes dramatically as they are inflated, whereas the airbags simply support with minimal change in ride unless you pump them to 80psi and they extend to full height - I have the triple bags fitted, then its like riding on a jelly stick!
    Manufacturer of the Complete Camp Oven System

Vendor Page: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ar-That-Works/

Tuturial Video's: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ted-on-Youtube

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 892 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go get AirBag Man HP (Kevlar sleeves over them (Cost of bags and 2 hours fitting as said by AirBag Man) it should only cost around 650 installed at Fulcrum Suspensions and will do the job fine. It is the idiots that leave high pressure in them that f#$% the chassis.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,555 Posts
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhuck View Post
    If you go get AirBag Man HP (Kevlar sleeves over them (Cost of bags and 2 hours fitting as said by AirBag Man) it should only cost around 650 installed at Fulcrum Suspensions and will do the job fine. It is the idiots that leave high pressure in them that f#$% the chassis.
    Its the mounts that get the pounding, not the chassis, but you are right, the pressure needs to be used sensibly. I didn't like the way the airbags extruded into the gaps between the coils and made the coil element so stiff, even with a moderate pressure. This turned a flexible element into a lump of redgum, which just was asking for trouble, hence why i swapped to the BOSS system, much safer in my mind.
    Manufacturer of the Complete Camp Oven System

Vendor Page: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ar-That-Works/

Tuturial Video's: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ted-on-Youtube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12