Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UHF radios

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and it's the 477mhz antennas that I'm needing to look at isnt it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a dual antenna package for sale here:
    https://www.gadgetcity.com.au/gme-xr...6fc5c33e2a1ad7

Thoughts??

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    Thats interesting .. so stay away from the heavy broomstick antennas that seem so popular. As I was intending on mounting it centrally on the roof rack, the ones you indicated would be a lot better.
    IMHO, Broomsticks are only better than elevated feed whips for really high gain stuff (9dB or more) or Commodore Utes with Jet Pilot logos and Bundy Rum Stickers (sarcasm intended).

I have run Broomsticks in the past when I was into remote touring but they are a bit of a PIA anywhere else so I reckon unless you are operating outback or plains country or broad acre farming I would go with a whip
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If was buying today and wanted a 370 I would buy this https://www.prestigecom.net.au/gme-x...-at880-antenna

IMHO that antenna or the RFI I put up prev are the bees knees for general 4x4 use

If I was wary of the 370 Units due to poor reviews then Prestige have 330 for about $75 cheaper
    Last edited by the evil twin; 18th April 2020 at 02:40 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post

For recreational users I rate the manuf as follows
    Icom
    GME
    Uniden
    Oricom
    Had an old GME 40 channel unit in our bus - solid unit, never a problem.

Put a Uniden (can't recall the model) unit in the Patrol but it didn't last. The display failed making it useless after a couple of years & *very* little, mainly on-road use. 99% of the time it was never switched on. When I did use it it was horrible. Having the gain knob mounted concentrically on the same shaft as the volume control was crap. I wont buy Uniden again

When I was replacing it I posted here & ET said the same then as he has now (quoted above). He has the experience & I trusted his judgement & bought an Icom. It is head & shoulders above the previous Uniden unit & have used it a fair bit during our travels over the past year couple of years. It's a good 'built to last' unit which I trust & am happy to recommend it. An Icom IC-450. A small unit easy to fit in the dash or elsewhere as the display is in the handpiece.

FWIW I still have the Uniden 6.5 db whip antenna, spring mounted, on the bullbar, & have never felt the need to change it. It does all I want of it. Bloke at the CB shop, when I told him where I was planning to take it, told me that outback corrugated roads & tracks would not take long to destroy it. I reckoned I'd have to buy another antenna when that happened. Well we have now done 1000's of corrugated kms, some of the worst I reckon, & the antenna is still as good as the day we left home. It's actually a great 'corrugation meter'. A quick look at the antenna confirms whether we are on mild, medium bad or horrendous corrugations - not that we cant feel them of course , but sometimes it helps in a "These are worse than on XYZ track" "No they're not" conversations.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 18th April 2020 at 06:56 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (18th April 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 3,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Icom IC440, model before Cuppa’s and is great. Is 8yo now.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is quite a price difference between icom and GME ... ??

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G`day guys.
    I run a GME electriphone 40 channel set which I bought a little while ago 1993 , never had a problem and those who know me know its been in some pretty bad country. I also have an old ,(yes every thing I`ve got is old ) ex Trelstra, Philips set as it runs all 80 channels. Reason for the two was one could be used by the passenger for chit chat (club stuff ) and the other was more driver road stuff. Both units still going strong.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    There is quite a price difference between icom and GME ... ??
    That is because Icom is sort of a "crossover" between reccy and amatuer/commercial equipment so Icom is a next step up in quality again and is essentially a derated commercial set.
    Icom sell a gazillion more commercial comms and amatuer band units than reccy.

Most commercial brands (Motorola etc) don't market UHF CB for a variety of reasons.
    Commercial or licenced bands if you prefer have a higher allowable power output for example (25 watts usually).
    Because of that a lot of manuf make programming dongles for commercial sets harder to obtain so CB dudes have trouble hacking their freq's/power.
    That is also the reason why so many of the Chinee sets are illegal in Oz, they can all typically be reprog'd by the owner to transmit on higher than allowable power so don't pass our regs for CB use.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right i get it ... so its basically a choice between a heavy duty build quality .. the icom .. and something a with a few more features like to gme .. i dont think i would use the gme features but the extra speaker would be good .. hmmm decisions

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast