Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turbo TB42E LPG

Hi all,

Just thought I would create a new thread with my info fitting Turbo to GQ TB42E LPG in case anyone was considering it as follows:-

OK. Only have a couple of picks of Turbo bolted to Chinese made Stainless steel Manifold.Kinugawa Turbo 0016.jpgKinugawa Turbo 0012.jpg
    Have since thrown this manifold in with the scrap. It was badly distorted before I fitted it, both the face to head and also face to Turbo. Even though I shaved it on the mill, it couldn't cope with the heat and had too much trouble with it leaking. Ended up fitting a cast iron DTS manifold and even though it was $530, I now have no issues with any leaking. Having said all this about the Chinese manifold, and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy and fit one, part of the heat (too much) was I hadn't upgraded my exhaust to an unrestricted type. If I had done this before changing manifolds, I may have been able to retain the Stainless manifold, but I doubt it. Stainless steel doesn't conduct and cope with heat anywhere near as well as cast iron. The stainless manifold definitely had a lower engagement (1200rpm approx) due to smooth finish internally, compared to the Cast Iron which is 1600rpm. This is good and bad both ways, but Stainless/1200rpm was a bit too touchy for my liking, but I will say the economy seemed better. Best economy I can get with Cast Iron manifold is 400ks per 90 litres LPG. Stainless I could get 425ks per 90 litres LPG. Mind you this is trying hard/not sticking the boot in, only when some slow fart gets the better of me.

So at the end of the day if anyone wants to turbo their TB42E, I highly recommend it!
    If I did it again, I would consider either making my own manifold from steam pipe or buying one from the guy who I think is in New Zealand and advertises on Ebay. Kinugawa Turbo I am very happy with also on ebay, but need to get the right model Turbo to suit TB42E. Was just looking for invoice and also looking on ebay to see if I can find model/type I used, but can't be sure. If anyone wants to know, I am sure i can find it, or email Kinugawa and ask which one they suggest. DTS manifold is a low mount rather than high mount stainless (as per photo).

Only issue I have now is engine mounts, which I am planning to check tomorrow. Have already replaced one a while ago, and I am pretty sure one or both has failed again. Just can't cope with the torque, so going to see if i can fit some TB48E mounts as they should handle the increased torque.

Although I don't visit this forum often, might add some more pics next time I am on. Happy to answer any questions, but might have to be patient for an answers

Cheers, Uncle festa

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Festa For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (24th September 2016), Irish (24th September 2016), NissanGQ4.2 (23rd September 2016), threedogs (25th September 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're looking for a better matched turbo, the best match for the tb42e is supposed to be the GT35, I've got a gt3540 from an xr6 turbo on mine, about 1/4 of the way through my build so I cant say it 100% yet.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice................
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the tb42e takes boost really well, if you want to get the turbo spooling at lower revs consider porting/polishing the cast manifold as well as a straight through 3" exhaust, i just run a straight 3" with high flow cat no mufflers or hotdogs and its not offensively loud
    i run an axt turbo and manifold on my tb42e, start to see boost by 1000rpm and full boost by about 1400rpm, awsome flat torque curve for towing, have a boost creep issue with higher revs but can cure that with an external gate. not the most by the book setup but works for me and im happy
    image(2).jpegimage(3).jpeg

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billyj For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (24th September 2016), Irish (25th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    the tb42e takes boost really well, if you want to get the turbo spooling at lower revs consider porting/polishing the cast manifold as well as a straight through 3" exhaust, i just run a straight 3" with high flow cat no mufflers or hotdogs and its not offensively loud
    i run an axt turbo and manifold on my tb42e, start to see boost by 1000rpm and full boost by about 1400rpm, awsome flat torque curve for towing, have a boost creep issue with higher revs but can cure that with an external gate. not the most by the book setup but works for me and im happy
    image(2).jpegimage(3).jpeg

Do you run an intercooler?
    Last edited by Irish; 25th September 2016 at 07:45 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope no cooler, always intended to add one and up the boost, but never happened, on the current tune with some nasty boost creep i can get away with up to 15 psi without pinging in short bursts or 10psi consistantly.

im actually looking really hard at my options atm as i need a new work ute which will probly be a v8td cruiser(yes i know its wrong) so the gq will either get wound up and cooled or ill rip the tb42e out and drop the mild 355 holden stroker from my old ute in it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh and i cant explain why but since fitting iridium plugs it resists pinging much much better than on std plugs. and yes both are the same heat range

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. I am planning to port and polish, especially now that I have a small manifold leak. So when i fix the leak i will P & P while manifold is off. Don't suppose there is anyway to get right inside the manifold? Obviously can only reach in so far as tools will allow me. I did want to do it when I put manifold on first time but didn't have time or die grinder to do it. Noticed there is a long reach grinder on ebay, which might buy if I need to. Thanks for info.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good chance your manifold leak is the gasket, i must have burnt out 5-6 tb type gaskets between the head and turbo manifold, the solution while a little exxy is to swap the studs out for longer ones and use the td42 individual gaskets which are multi layer steel instead of the stamped composite type normally found in a tb42

13. The Following User Says Thank You to billyj For This Useful Post:

Uncle Festa (1st November 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    oh and i cant explain why but since fitting iridium plugs it resists pinging much much better than on std plugs. and yes both are the same heat range
    Do you have the gap set the same on both or different? Maybe thats it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast