Thread: Turbo Upgrades for the GUIV TD42Ti

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Just normal road driving Rossco its around 10c higher than usual. There a long'ish uphill run On the Research-Warrandyte rd mate heading north bound and not even flogging it it will see 95c without an issue on a 15c day. Any sort of load and the temps get up there real quick. Its never been like this. On the up side. The better fan and the oiled up hub does get the temps down a bit faster. I need to get it on the highway and see how it fares now.
    People are putting pajero viscous fan hubs on TDs now with a pajero fan, apparently it is way better than any Nissan setup. People are saying that it helps massively with keeping temps under control but I haven't actually seen one yet.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, I am guessing you have checked the thermostat? - or changed it? I guess its the standard question, if it hasn't been like this - 'Whats changed?' More weight - new rear bar?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,262 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    People are putting pajero viscous fan hubs on TDs now with a pajero fan, apparently it is way better than any Nissan setup. People are saying that it helps massively with keeping temps under control but I haven't actually seen one yet.

Yeah I've seen a few of them around. Some use the Colorado fan setups too with good results. Mine was good, then all of a sudden it wasn't so good. So I want to find out why. Hopefully what I have done over the last week has worked.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post

This musical fan saga seems to be going around. When I got my new motor fitted it was running a TD42 fan, then it exploded ina river crossing, so was changed for a toyota 3E fan, supposedly stronger plus higher airflow and sat back further away from the radiator core. Now, when I swap over the front components from V belt drive to serpentine, the fan supplied is a modified unit off a duramax.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (20th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,244 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW had a few stock TD42T’s and 95C up a Warrandyte hill known is very usual, even in winter. They’ll always come back down to 85C on the Yarra downside pedal off. Personally never have stressed too hard on these kettles until 105C and climbing further, uncontrollably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,262 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    FWIW had a few stock TD42T’s and 95C up a Warrandyte hill known is very usual, even in winter. They’ll always come back down to 85C on the Yarra downside pedal off. Personally never have stressed too hard on these kettles until 105C and climbing further, uncontrollably.

I have been told on many occasions Mark that its still well within its limits. But when its run a certain way for so long, then all of a sudden its different, even still within spec, its get me thinking why. Last January's trip back from Merimbula the kettle was seeing 115c without much effort when climbing some hills.
    However regarding the 3071 Garret. Its had me thinking since the tune. I notice more that in 4th gear at 6k's the motor's rpm is too low for the motor to produce enough boost to get going. Its ok when your coating along a flat road. Hit a hit or slight incline and you fell the need to down shift. Different turbo, or at the least a set of 4.3's would correct this. But 4.3's is what I had, and 1st gear was almost non existant. Hence me going to 4.11's. So a differnet turbo is the fix. But I wont be doing that so the 3071 stays.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MB (20th November 2018), MudRunnerTD (20th November 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turbo Upgrades for the GUIV TD42Ti

Let’s honestly swap for a day drive around up here together old mate. My honest (mechanical nuffy) belief is that many blokes drive them (build seek) too cold?
    I agree that cooling systems should have the least amount of fluctuation but 75C -95C in hilly country is all I’ve ever known of these 42 great donks!
    EDIT: Can click over the magic 100C and up to 105C when heavy hauling or high country 40ambient slow stuff too but no stress still mate!

Last edited by MB; 20th November 2018 at 09:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting, before i did all teh mods to my GU it rear HOT A Lot. EGTs could be above 500 towing all day and be bouncing off 550 most of the day. 12 hours at 550 cant be good.!!!!

When i did the turbo i replaced the Radiator with an ADRAD Copper as per factory spec. Did the Thermostat to the 77 Trident one,Fitted teh JPC HiFlow Water pump, repacked the factory viscous hub, replaced teh fan with the G35 fan and it has never got hot again.

So to the haters.. Stick it. The Water Pump is a Winner. 40d day towing a camper at 115 and over taking to 130 and teh EGTs are nothing over 400 and the water temp gauge doesn’t move. Love it. I had a Kettle. Now I Don’t.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (21st November 2018), MB (20th November 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but I’m $10k richer and still chugging!
    (Bullshit & Beer that is :-) )

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of max water temps have you scored on the beast Daz mate?

Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast