Thread: Climbing Uluru to be banned from Oct 2019

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avo View Post
    of course people own land,don't we buy it and out a house on it?
    To be more accurate, you do not own the land anyway, you just rent it for limited time aka 99 years... What you are buying is the right to use it as a place where you can build a dwelling, or in case of agriculture you work it or plant something or graze animals. You never own it in technical terms. You may pass on said rental or on sell it but you never own it.

As such that is why you can be evicted or the land re-purposed by the entity we as a society grant such privilege.....for a fee or reward of course.

Regards

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (1st November 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    so the government owns it...legally .......
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (9th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with the decision 100%... and the sooner those godawful ugly chains and poles come down the better.

I reckon the management council deserve some kudos for not implementing the ban wef immediately and allowing that grace period.
    If it is on someones bucket list or if (as one of the Council Managers said today) people have already planned their trip with a climb as one of their objectives then that period is fair enough.

For the record I don't care who 'owns it' as IMHO it has an aura all its own and no-one will ever own it but the current management setup seems pretty fair enough to me.

Disclaimer - I'm talking specifically about Uluru and not that godawful Yulara Tourist trap.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bob (2nd November 2017), Cuppa (2nd November 2017), GQtdauto (2nd November 2017), Rossco (2nd November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
    To be more accurate, you do not own the land anyway, you just rent it for limited time aka 99 years... What you are buying is the right to use it as a place where you can build a dwelling, or in case of agriculture you work it or plant something or graze animals. You never own it in technical terms. You may pass on said rental or on sell it but you never own it.

As such that is why you can be evicted or the land re-purposed by the entity we as a society grant such privilege.....for a fee or reward of course.

Regards

In Australia we own the land in perpetuity if it is sold as Freehold Land, which would account for most landsales. The government still retains the right to resume it if required and rights to minerals etc.
    I think you may be thinking of Leasehold land which would generally be 99 years and is common in the ACT and for large pastoral leases.
    https://www.austrade.gov.au/land-ten.../freehold-land

Back on topic, I don't agree with closing the climb at all, its a rock FFS. Culturally sensitive reasons, pffft, the usual crock of shit excuse the indigenous like to use. I get culturally sensitive when I catch them helping themselves to the contents of my car in the middle of the night. You've only got to go into any of the communities around these places to see for yourself how much respect the indigenous population have for the themselves or the land.
    Last edited by stevemc181; 2nd November 2017 at 10:05 AM.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (2nd November 2017), bazzaboy (2nd November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
    In Australia we own the land in perpetuity if it is sold as Freehold Land, which would account for most landsales. The government still retains the right to resume it if required and rights to minerals etc.
    I think you may be thinking of Leasehold land which would generally be 99 years and is common in the ACT and for large pastoral leases.
    https://www.austrade.gov.au/land-ten.../freehold-land

Back on topic, I don't agree with closing the climb at all, its a rock FFS. Culturally sensitive reasons, pffft, the usual crock of shit excuse the indigenous like to use. I get culturally sensitive when I catch them helping themselves to the contents of my car in the middle of the night. You've only got to go into any of the communities around these places to see for yourself how much respect the indigenous population have for the themselves or the land.
    Many communities are as you say but many are not , and if you do some research or live in or around a community long enough you will gain a better understanding of what the problems are, 99% of which are caused by us thinking that a sixty thousand year old plus culture can conform to European ideals in a few hundred years or even at all .
    To have any understanding of the clash of cultures you have to open your eyes and ears to the way they have lived and their laws for thousands of years , when you do this you change your mind completely.
    Just one example of the people you're talking about is the elder at Kakadu who was personally offered over a billion dollars to allow mining by a French company, they hounded him for years but he refused , how many European men would not have taken the money and run I know I would have .
    Don't tar them all with the same brush and find out the reasons why some of them are the way they are .
    As for locking up tracks and roads that pass thru some of there lands and increasing permits which are nearly impossible to get if at all I see that differently especially if it has no impact .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (2nd November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't need to do the research, I've spent long enough in communities to see for myself. We also have an aboriginal girl that lived with us for two years until recently, so we have a pretty good understanding of the culture. You've got your opinion and I've got mine, best leave it at that.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (2nd November 2017), GQtdauto (2nd November 2017), rusty_nail (3rd November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest emotive political type threads like this usually drag up heaps of over the top comments from both sides , our sister site has been debating this for awhile and politics ,energy blah blah blah , sort of glad this one kept out of the sidelines and stuck to everything Patrols .

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

Bob (2nd November 2017), jff45 (4th November 2017), Rossco (2nd November 2017), stevemc181 (2nd November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another rock we can't climb - another track we can't drive - another river we can't cross - another paddock we can't camp in - another permit we need (at a cost of course) - another park we now need to pay to get into - another park we now need to pay to camp in (mind you, there are no facillities but the fees are more than a caravan park!) - another ferry we pay a fortune for to go 50 metres - another ballot system we have to register for to "maybe" be eligible to be allowed to pay a fortune to camp side by side in the bush while there is plenty of room just over the fence - another river campsite that is so crowded and "over used" because they have shut down everywhere else to camp - (please feel free to add to the list) -

Nothing surprising here - just inevitable. Makes me wonder where my grandkids will go 4wding, bushwalking, camping. Thank god for virtual reality!

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (3rd November 2017), bazzaboy (4th November 2017), Bob (3rd November 2017), GQtdauto (3rd November 2017), Touses (3rd November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    Another rock we can't climb - another track we can't drive - another river we can't cross - another paddock we can't camp in - another permit we need (at a cost of course) - another park we now need to pay to get into - another park we now need to pay to camp in (mind you, there are no facillities but the fees are more than a caravan park!) - another ferry we pay a fortune for to go 50 metres - another ballot system we have to register for to "maybe" be eligible to be allowed to pay a fortune to camp side by side in the bush while there is plenty of room just over the fence - another river campsite that is so crowded and "over used" because they have shut down everywhere else to camp - (please feel free to add to the list) -

Nothing surprising here - just inevitable. Makes me wonder where my grandkids will go 4wding, bushwalking, camping. Thank god for virtual reality!
    Agree with a lot of your comments however the Users of these facilities do not help themselves by leaving the sites in a bloody mess .
    When you arrive at quite a number of Campsites now there is broken equipment and litter left for someone else to clean up plus partially uncovered Toilet Sites and in some cases totally uncovered Faeces . Bloody Disgusting

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (3rd November 2017), Hodge (3rd November 2017), jack (4th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Agree with a lot of your comments however the Users of these facilities do not help themselves by leaving the sites in a bloody mess .
    When you arrive at quite a number of Campsites now there is broken equipment and litter left for someone else to clean up plus partially uncovered Toilet Sites and in some cases totally uncovered Faeces . Bloody Disgusting
    You are right Bob - but penalising everyone for the problems caused by a few idiots is not the way it should be done. The penalties for what some of these fools do should be huge. Large fines, confiscating vehicles - whatever it takes. If a few are made examples of it would make even the most stupid of them think twice. But when scarce resources are used to catch some of them, they are then let off by the courts - again.

But that issue is different from being excluded for other "reasons". Australia is being nibbled away a rock, a creek, a paddock, a track, a lake, a mountain etc, at a time and soon there won't be anywhere left for the type of recreation many of us like to do.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

bazzaboy (4th November 2017), Bob (3rd November 2017), Hodge (3rd November 2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast