User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: K&N air filters

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a K&N on my 2006 Y61 TD42 and they are great, easy to clean and better fuel economy (if you keep it clean) and with a snorkel so you are not sucking up to much road shit and heat a perfect match.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mojo53 For This Useful Post:

Patrol-Guy (5th September 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using a K&N in my 08 crd for roughly 3 months and have found it to be alot more responsive and although i can't give all credit to the K&N (i started using 2 stroke oil) the ltrs per 100 have gone from mid 14's to mid 12's on the highway and also improved on economy around town although i have never really worked out consumption for driving around town but can see it's not being filled up as much.

Thanks for all the info Mav. I was one of the people that was lead to believe they are not designed for dusty conditions and to take a paper filter when driving dusty conditions, so i'm
    Really glad i have seen this thread.

Cheers Dave
    Last edited by Dave_H; 5th September 2014 at 02:46 PM.
    2008 GU6 ST 3.0 CRD Auto, 2" Lift, ARB Bullbar, IPF Spotties, Side Steps, Maxxis 980 A/T, Roof Rack.....................

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave_H For This Useful Post:

NoRush (24th September 2014), Patrol-Guy (5th September 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day Plassy,
    Started running an advised Italian ‘BMC’ filter system (K&N same same ish) a few years ago in the 6.5 ute with 10% ish seemingly good power success in our somewhat dusty hills for performance.
    Shiploads easier though just 2 minute swapping an OEM $25 paper filter into the Mrs 4.2TD family wagon whenever the roads get too chalky.
    Many many years ago did have a similar oil type air filter on an FJ55 and was laughed at by my Cairns mechanic before heading up the Cape and handed me 3 x paper cannister filters and a sabre saw :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    G’day Plassy,
    Started running an advised Italian ‘BMC’ filter system (K&N same same ish) a few years ago in the 6.5 ute with 10% ish seemingly good power success in our somewhat dusty hills for performance.
    Shiploads easier though just 2 minute swapping an OEM $25 paper filter into the Mrs 4.2TD family wagon whenever the roads get too chalky.
    Many many years ago did have a similar oil type air filter on an FJ55 and was laughed at by my Cairns mechanic before heading up the Cape and handed me 3 x paper cannister filters and a sabre saw :-)

I have a 1970 Honda dirt bike that uses an oiled foam air filter and just can't believe the same for the 2001 TD42T, 31 years hence, is still the way to go. But I'm open to hearing from those who know. I get it that K&N filters breathe well and that's great for the race track or drag strip, but for dusty touring??
    Last edited by Plasnart; 6th June 2019 at 10:25 PM.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @PeeBee is truly your airflow man here mate, and or @Cuppa mate out there honestly amongst it yearly! There is a fine line I believe between restricting an OEM donk and spending ridiculous hours maintaining for at best 10% after market.
    Snorkel high wise, and most importantly wise, just pull over and wait for the big trailers dust to settle for some minutes helps heaps too

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    G’day Plassy,

Without it being oiled then yes it is quite opened but once oiled those gaps close up and certainly trap dust effectively.

Had mine on for a few years now and loving it, cleaning is easy.

But.....but...If I was to do a ful outback trip I would consider running a paper for the trip or make sure I'm always leading car

Have checked airbox outlet to turbo many times after a dusty high country trip and havent seen any dust in the elbow to turbo so its doing its job correctly.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The filter media is whats called an open cell fabric. It relies on the oil bridging the gap like a membrane, and since the oil media is constantly vibrating, ensures there is a film like a spiders web between the structural elements of the fabric. I have run then for years with success, certainly when they are clean the engine breathes well. There are claims around their high efficiency when clogged up but I guess thats by degree and how much you talk yourself into believing it is working well. The outer skin of the filter acts like a pre filter in some regards and cracks off when it gets far enough away from the filter media to not be seeing the effect of the oil stickiness. I have returned to the K&N camp for the chev on the upgrade with as big a filter I can fit under the bonnet. They do require servicing and its a little bit of dirty effort, but the rewards are having a high efficiency filter that does what is designed to do. If you neglect them they will decrease and strangle the airflow for sure, however as an example, the Donaldson paper element fitted as standard in the N/A installation only lasts 2 trips before the engine is blowing heaps of smoke and running without throttle response. There is never any bypass on the clean side, the filter is doing its job, but feeding a $40 filter to a truck after 2 high country trips starts to get expensive over the summer when most of the trips take place.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 7th June 2019 at 09:20 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (7th June 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do people feel about restarting an old thread?

There seems to be a bit of talk about the benefits of an oiled filter over a paper filter with lots of claims that oiled is better. I've read about a couple of oil sampling tests that claim that paper filters do catch more gunk than oiled filters. What independant tests have been done on these and is there any evidence to back up the superiority of oiled filters? I can see more air getting through with an oiled filter however does this actually equate to more gunk as well?

Interested to hear opinions.
    Last edited by pspeirs; 7th June 2019 at 09:12 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pspeirs For This Useful Post:

AB (7th June 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have them [K&N] more for the convienience, I run two now.
    one is oiled and ready when its time to change it, plus gives it
    plenty of time to "breathe" so fumes dont confuse any sensors.
    They are easy to service with the correct sprays etc not as $$$$
    as they used to be so very affordable IMO
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The K&N are the ones sandwiched between mesh I believe. How do you feel about the foam filters like the Unifilter style. I ran them on the old Cruiser and 4Runner (am I allowed to mention the T work here?) and they seemed to trap a lot and still breath well. The inside of the filter was never dirty with the gunk only going in half way.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast