Thread: Wanting to install a 6.5 to replace my zd30

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckus View Post
    Totally concur.

That said I still love my 6.5 turbo...(I have to it still got a couple of years warranty...LOL) but cost is listed here https://www.brunswickdiesels.com.au/engine-conversion OK well it was...but in Feb 20 with engine, turbo, inter-cooler, adapters, cooling system and radiator full installation all fittings and plumbing and engineering on Truckus was 27000 AUD (cartage to and from is what ever you can arrange)

If that helps...I also spoke to a bloke who did his DIY, and he reckoned he wished he had paid to get it done by Brunswick as all the extras really add up and then there is the time and the sweat.

They also do the P400 cobra diesel conversion now ass well!
    So..I am now really rethinking mine as I get more acquainted. Some fellas had trouble free motoring, others not so much. Sadly now, we are in the later. anyone considering this conversion should really read from here on in my members ride thread. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...l=1#post818263

Basically forking out over 12K to get a 15000 km 10 month old engine replaced has really made me revise my opinion on the conversion.

I would suggest looking at the cummins 6bt option instead as they seem to have no where near the issues.

For those in WA interested in a Cummins 6bt rig https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gold...ed-/1271604462
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (14th April 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The greatest issue with the Cummins conversion is the weight over the front axle. A guy in Shepp had one and was selling kits for the conversion, and when his went thru engineering it 'only just passed' with a factory front bumper and no dual battery system. There is an option from a mob in QLD that manufacture a totally new, double tube from axle housing assy that lifts the front axle load rating by 500KG, but that's another $4300 from memory, and only really for the GU unless you are already running the GU axle/diff housing in a GQ. They don't do rears either, so maybe this is another component if you want to run the bulbar,winch,dual batteries etc.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    The greatest issue with the Cummins conversion is the weight over the front axle. A guy in Shepp had one and was selling kits for the conversion, and when his went thru engineering it 'only just passed' with a factory front bumper and no dual battery system. There is an option from a mob in QLD that manufacture a totally new, double tube from axle housing assy that lifts the front axle load rating by 500KG, but that's another $4300 from memory, and only really for the GU unless you are already running the GU axle/diff housing in a GQ. They don't do rears either, so maybe this is another component if you want to run the bulbar,winch,dual batteries etc.
    That info is consistent with what I have read to PB. evidently the 6.5 turbo intercooler set up with donkey weighs in at just under 900 lbs all up, where as the 6bt with turbo and fruit is 1100 lbs.

The answer from the engineers is basically a GVM upgrade all around, and for the axle loading the portal axles from Marks do the trick there (and this needs doing also to get over 35s engineered as well up this way) that ups the GVM to 3780Kg , plus what ever else has been done with suspension and brake set up.

https://www.marks4wd.com/patrol-portal-axles.html

Not that my rig has much load over the front axles right now and likely wont have until the end if next week if I am lucky.
    Last edited by Truckus; 13th April 2021 at 11:59 AM.
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so you go from an additional $4300 to $23000 on top of the kit, looking pretty ugly!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or buy one already done....still for sale that one!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate dont bother with diesels,I have been a diesel fan since the 90,s but since the ls3 conversion in my 2016 gu Iwould never go back.The big diesels weigh to much,cost to much,and really do not go better than a ls3,Parts cost way less for ls3 and if you really go mad 650 hp is not a problem but stock 430 hp and 6500rpm is plenty with no engine mount welding if fitted to zd30 crd.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poopsie For This Useful Post:

MB (4th June 2021), PeeBee (4th June 2021)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234