Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Here’s my $20 set of Gumtree bedroom drawers on a wheelie base 10G Mate

No steel top but have an annoying post inside the shed I built a stress relief mallet station around with scrap steel, echoes for kilometres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey that's a great idea MB, I looked at some tool drawers in Bunnings yesterday and they're a bit pricey. I think I'll copy your idea, that looks perfect.

I can imagine the noise that mallet bench would make, attached to the frame of the shed it'd reverb really well hahahaha.

Thanks mate.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MB (21st January 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    A big fan of these little soft jiggy twistie thingies too, bring the gear as close as possible

Where did you get those things from MB? That is EXACTLY what i've been looking for quite a while. What are they called??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MB (21st January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure mate, they were a Christmas pressie years ago from MIL.
    Reckon Bunnings would have something similar no doubt.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

10G (21st January 2021)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a shame, I was in Bunnings yesterday, I'll have to go back.

Thanks MB.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MB (21st January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just recently I discovered 'Torque Sticks' for the first time .... discovered as in read about them.

Would love one of those battery operated rattle guns, was looking at the Makita DTW700Z a 'mid torque model, lighter in weight than it's bigger brothers but still with a nut busting torque of 1000NM (I also learned that 'nut busting torque' is a higher torque applied during the first few ugga duggas before reverting to the tools 'normal' max torque ..... in this case 700NM.

BUT I want it to save my back. For undoing wheel nuts, a 1.2 metre length of water pipe makes the job fairly easy (albeit slower than a rattle gun - time is something I have plenty of). The hardest part though is the final grunt when doing up the nuts with a standard cross brace. For me it's now a real back killer.

That's where the torque sticks came in - a means of limiting the torque & thus enabling the doing up of wheel nuts with a rattle gun without risk of overtightening - "you beauty" I thought.

But no - disappointment was to follow.

In spite of what a few sellers would have you believe they really are not suitable for the battery powered impact drivers. With air rattle guns yes, but not the cordless ones.

Having understood how they work, by 'twisting' & returning to their unstressed position between impacts, I now understand why they don't work well with cordless rattle guns.Unlike air rattleguns the ugga duggas on the cordless are just too fast, & don't give the twisted extension bar a chance to 'relax' & return to the fully untwisted state between each ugga dugga (impact).

Consequently there is quite a risk of overtightening. I have also read reports of shortened life of battery operated rattle guns because of the physical 'feedback' impact from the extension bar.

So best I can do is continue with the water pipe extension & get MrsTea to do the final 'grunt' tightening of each nut and in the meantime keep watching the rattle gun market & hope sooner or later one is developed which can apply a preset torque with reasonable accuracy.

Ah well it was a nice dream whilst it lasted.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 21st January 2021 at 04:24 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (21st January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought they are adjustable so you can adjust speed or rpm to suit different applications.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxhead View Post
    I thought they are adjustable so you can adjust speed or rpm to suit different applications.
    You can adjust speed & level of impact, but not torque setting. Only way to avoid risk of overtightening is to use the rattle gun to undo the nuts & spin them off & to spin them back on lightly & finish off with a wheel brace or torque wrench.

I suppose that with practice & familiarity with a cordless rattle gun it may be possible to get the torque of the wheel nuts in the good enough/ballpark, but the risk of stretching/breaking studs is high whilst gaining that familiarity & how many of us do it regularly enough to have the confidence we are getting it right each time. Bottom line is that cordless rattle guns are still no good for doing up, only undoing

The torque sticks apparently work fairly well with air rattle guns because their impact rate is lower.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 21st January 2021 at 05:12 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    You can adjust speed & level of impact, but not torque setting. Only way to avoid risk of overtightening is to use the rattle gun to undo the nuts & spin them off & to spin them back on lightly & finish off with a wheel brace or torque wrench.

The torque sticks apparently work well with air rattle guns because their impact rate is lower.
    Yeah ok, how slow are the air ones?
    The Milwaukee one I was looking at can go down to 950 IPM .
    I”’ looking at using it for the same application as yourself so might have to look into it a bit more

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I’ve seen this warning on the cheap torque sticks on eBay
    Note it states to turn down to under 1000ipm

The more expensive torque sticks state for use with air and electric wrenches

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

MB (22nd January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Picked up this 5 drawer tool wheelie chest from total Tools for $200 on clearance. Very happy with it. Not sure how I'm going to organise it yet but it will come together eventually. Perfect size for my needs and the floor space in my shed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (22nd January 2021), MB (22nd January 2021), Mickhead (23rd January 2021), mudnut (27th January 2021), MudRunnerTD (11th February 2021), Rossco (22nd January 2021)

Page 70 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast