Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2004 GU IV 3.0l engine troubles, help

Hi guys.

My name is Guy and as the title says i've just bought a 04 GU IV 3.0DI with 207k on the clock. No mods on her and i'm trying to download a manual off here. not allowed to do so until i write some posts
    Anyway the car drives ok but it was used on a farm and well lets just say the paint isnt perfect haha. Interior mainly needs a good clean and i recon will come up nice with some elbow grease. The dash, well as expected is completely melted. Found a upholstery shop that recovers them for $200

Now the bad point, The engine to have no power under 2000revs. When i open the oil cap it has quite a bit of crankcase pressure and blows out a fair amount of oil I've do a head gasket test with the tk leak tester and it seems to be ok. I'll be pulling it apart, intercooler, rocker cover and do a compression test before the weekend. Whats the best way to compression test from, glow plugs or injectors?

Would any one be able to advice on what could cause the crankcase pressure? And also what compression values a healthy engine normally has?

Thx
    Guy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day and welcome to the forum mate.
    Found a upholstery shop that recovers them for $200
    We would like to know who that is please.
    Whats the best way to compression test from, glow plugs or injectors?
    Probably the glow plugs.
    Would any one be able to advice on what could cause the crankcase pressure
    Crankcase pressure usually is caused by rings worn out, but you say you have done a leak down test and this would normally show if the rings are gone.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx for the reply 4bye4

I'll get the upholstery shop contacts and post it here soon

The test i've done is a head gasket leak test to check if the head is blown using the tee kay tester kit.

I have a bad feeling about it Any one know the compression values? I'll try and get my hands on a leak down test kit

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate just did a quick search seems 350 is the lower limit, youd be wanting around 400 + psi i reckon with max 40 psi difference, don't have the exact figures hopefully someone will help. Yep definatly glow plugs is easiest on a warm engine & good battery.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Hey mate just did a quick search seems 350 is the lower limit, youd be wanting around 400 + psi i reckon with max 40 psi difference, don't have the exact figures hopefully someone will help. Yep definatly glow plugs is easiest on a warm engine & good battery.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Thx for the reply Rossco.

Also No lights on the dash. No milky cap, no coolant leaks seen so far. Havent driven it enough to see coolant go down. doesn't over heat. White smoke 100% appeared and now gone. havent driven it since.

Pulled the glow plugs out today and stupid comp tester lead doesnt fit in the glow plug tube so will have to find another. Now can i just put the rocker cover back on and warm the engine at idle without putting the intercooler back on?
    This is how they looked
    https://ibb.co/hBikAv

Also why is the intake manifold looking like this, all the crap only on one side?
    https://ibb.co/dwAbHa

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guy
    Welcome to the forum!
    The glow plug ceramic tips dont look too bad. A bit of deposit on the shanks of 1&4?
    I cant answer your question regarding the manifold, as mine was caked in both. I think the EGR is located over the left orifice. has the EGR been blanked on your new truck?
    I'm interested to see how this goes...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much has happened over the weekend I'm unable to find that elusive adaptor!! Any ideas where i could get one?

Thx

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I replaced the fuel filter, unfortunately the car is still the same. however i came across this (the grey fitting in the fuel supply line)

I've taken it off and replaced with a new fuel hose. Its a one way check valve. the engine bay of the car is covered in red dust except for that so it must have been added recently. any ideas why? Worn IP pump?

I'm not able to do the comp test for a week as im waiting for the adaptor thats coming by post from over east. Any suggestions of what I could try and check till then?
    Thx

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyph_01 View Post

I've taken it off and replaced with a new fuel hose. Its a one way check valve. the engine bay of the car is covered in red dust except for that so it must have been added recently. any ideas why? Worn IP pump?

I'm not able to do the comp test for a week as im waiting for the adaptor thats coming by post from over east. Any suggestions of what I could try and check till then?
    Thx
    Are you having hard starting problems when the vehicle has been standing for a while? A check valve is to prevent the fuel returning to the tank and having to be pumped up again every time you start. If all lines and pump is good it should not be required. Somebody may have been trying to correct a problem by treating the symptoms. There is a mod you can do which adds a lift pump near the fuel tank to assist fuel feed to the injector pump. The injector pumps can have trouble "pulling" fuel especially when old and/or old fuel lines.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well since i bought it it starts pretty easy. haven't drove it much yet. I ll try and start it this avo after work as it would have sat for 12hrs then.
    Also looking at doing a NADS on it. Fit the dawes valve, oil catch can boost and egt gauge. Could anyone tell me the best spot to put the egt probe on a std exhaust system?

Thx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast