Thread: Cooling Problems 2006 3.0DI Patrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooling Problems 2006 3.0DI Patrol

HI Sorry I m new to the forum and New to Patrols wondering if anyone can help with any advice? My Patrol has started to overheat the bottom rad hose seems cool when running. Ive replaced the thermostat but no difference at idle and upto 2000 rpm the car sits midway on the temp indicator once you take it for a drive if pushed unto 3000rpm temp starts to climb. theres no heat coming out of the blowers am I dealing with a bleed problem or could it be the water pump. theres no signs of water in the oil or oil in the water and car drives with no loss of power. any help or advice would be grateful
    thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 Litre Di's don't typically have cooling system problems - they are pretty good in that regard, so there must be something there.

Take the radiator cap off, and start the engine - once the thermostat has opened, you should see flow start to occur which will then rule out the pump as a problem.

I would be looking at blocked radiator cores, or something like that as a primary cause.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to add, you shouldn't have water / coolant coming out the top of the radiator doing this when everything is OK.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    X2... the 3 litre Rads are humungous and normally have minimal overheating issues.

When they do it is usually (say 90% of the time) due to sludge and/or blocked radiator core.
    A professional radiator service normally solves the problem
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note that the radiator cap is solid i.e. it doesn't open. The pressure cap is in the header tank where you normally fill.
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    someone tapped the back of their water jacket in the head and ran a line straight back to the head tank on the radiator...hasnt had any trouble since...sounds like a bit of work though.
    Poor design seems to be the main problem with 3.0l
    Quad-Drive 4WD Club...Western Australia

We're all here coz we ain't all there...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @romawhite did you ever solve this overheating issue??
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.