Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off centre steering wheel after front end lift

Hey guys,

Trying to diagnose what I've broken/bent on my 2005 GU4 patrol. Went 4wding the other day & was going up a section when both of the front wheels came off the ground, the front then came down reasonably hard (nothing super crazy) & after this the steering wheel was tilted on a 45 degree angle & the wheels were then toeing out quite a bit.

Got the car to alignment place to check over it, checked the drag link/tie rod with a straight edge & they were fine. With the car on the aligner there was no strange camber (hopefully meaning there's no bend in the diff casing) he noted the toe out which he corrected to a slight bit of toe in. He said the it was likely the a twisted sector shaft or a bent pitman arm, I peeled back the dust boot on the steering box this morning & I cant see any twists on the splines (see the attached photo).

Trying to work out why the car ended up with toe out after the incident, as if it was a twisted sector shaft/bent pitman arm wouldn't the toe be the exact same as before just with a off centre steering wheel?

Also I have read elsewhere that its possible the steering coupling might have slipped on the shaft splines causing the steering wheel to be misaligned, has anyone else had a similar problem to this problem?

Is there anything else I should check before pulling the steering box out to check to get it pulled apart & assessed?

Any help is much appreciated!
    cheers!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to work out how to upload some photos of the pitman arm/sector shaft. The forum photo uploader doesn't seem to be working?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've never heard of bending a pitman arm. They are very tough. When you say the steering wheel is tilted 45 degrees. You mean like you are turning a corner, but you are going straight? If you get what I mean there.
    If your drag link adjustable?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFLEX View Post
    Trying to work out how to upload some photos of the pitman arm/sector shaft. The forum photo uploader doesn't seem to be working?
    Use Tappatalk for photos is much easier
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I've never heard of bending a pitman arm. They are very tough. When you say the steering wheel is tilted 45 degrees. You mean like you are turning a corner, but you are going straight? If you get what I mean there.
    If your drag link adjustable?
    As in when you are driving straight down the road, the wheel now sits at a 45 degree angle rather than straight (see attached photo above)

Both the drag link & the tie rod are road safe adjustable ones

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GUFLEX For This Useful Post:

mudski (20th May 2021)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What about the steering coupling? This also in splined. Could be torn aswell in the rubber section. Also look to see if the steering wheel hasn't jumps the splines on the shaft too.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've heard a young bloke nearly crashed because the adjustable panhard stripped some threads after hitting tree roots.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I've heard a young bloke nearly crashed because the adjustable panhard stripped some threads after hitting tree roots.
    Thankfully still have standard panhard rods, but thanks for the heads up

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    What about the steering coupling? This also in splined. Could be torn aswell in the rubber section. Also look to see if the steering wheel hasn't jumps the splines on the shaft too.
    Good point, haven't checked the steering coupling yet as its a bit of a PITA to get to. But worth checking it, will have a look at that & take the steering wheel off over the weekend & report back in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast