User Tag List

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Suspension questions

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd post here. I currently have suspension stuff flexy 3 inch coils (green same as dobinsons?). The rear ones I have are 19mm diameter and I believe may be HD? I also have some 21mm (Xtra HD?) rears in the shed. First question is what diameter coils and load rating (Medium/Heavy etc) do other folks have as I feel mine may be a bit stiff and I am not 100% sure on what mine is actually running.

Today I weighed my patrol front and rear w/ about half a main tank and empty sub. Front 1480kg Rear 1460kg. I am definitely looking at gettimg some new shocks all round and may get more suitable coils. Tossing up spending big (fox 2.0 remote res from pro-diesel @MudRunnerTD sorted that vendor and forum discount yet 😉 ) vs something off the shelf like ironman foamcell pro or other alternatives.

Will give pro diesel a call but he is away/closed according to his faceache page till next week.
    @bigguwesty how'd you go mate all sorted yet?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty_10 View Post
    Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd post here. I currently have suspension stuff flexy 3 inch coils (green same as dobinsons?). The rear ones I have are 19mm diameter and I believe may be HD? I also have some 21mm (Xtra HD?) rears in the shed. First question is what diameter coils and load rating (Medium/Heavy etc) do other folks have as I feel mine may be a bit stiff and I am not 100% sure on what mine is actually running.

Today I weighed my patrol front and rear w/ about half a main tank and empty sub. Front 1480kg Rear 1460kg. I am definitely looking at gettimg some new shocks all round and may get more suitable coils. Tossing up spending big (fox 2.0 remote res from pro-diesel @MudRunnerTD sorted that vendor and forum discount yet 😉 ) vs something off the shelf like ironman foamcell pro or other alternatives.

Will give pro diesel a call but he is away/closed according to his faceache page till next week.

Hi Sooty, Yeah Matt is on Holidays with his new baby but will be back next week. West got his gear last week and is stoked but not fitted yet i don't think.

Check you r springs for a printed number on them and give Suspensions stuff a call and ask what they are. they might know on the diameters you quote.

Did you do a combined weighing too? Whole car?

IMO The Fox remote Res are several leagues above anything Ironman may have on the market, if you can afford the Fox then its a No Brainer. Your question should be Fox or....Profender, ICONS, Kings etc.

I have not really pushed Matt into becoming a Vendor but intend too. He is good mates with Light Vendor and i can imagine Light giving us anything but a Thumbs Up! I will start working on him.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (21st September 2016), sooty_10 (21st September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can measure the coils I have at home but from what you've said I think mine are around the same size..
    Your a smidgen heavier on the front and 100kg heavier on the rear compared to my gu..

Still waiting on a couple more bits.

Imo don't wait for the vendor stuff..
    Matt gave me a great deal. Didn't move much on the shocks but basically did the coils for cost and also added discount to things like shock gaurd and resivour mounting plates..

So Imo I've been looked after even without Matt being a vendor..
    Last edited by BigRAWesty; 21st September 2016 at 09:11 PM.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (21st September 2016), sooty_10 (21st September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Check you r springs for a printed number on them and give Suspensions stuff a call and ask what they are. they might know on the diameters you quote.

Did you do a combined weighing too? Whole car?

IMO The Fox remote Res are several leagues above anything Ironman may have on the market, if you can afford the Fox then its a No Brainer. Your question should be Fox or....Profender, ICONS, Kings etc.
    Whole car weight is 2940kg, actually weighed total. Which works out as front + rear is that normal?

The springs did have sticker tags etc on them but are either gone or unreadable. I will make a few phone calls as suggested.

Yeah like bigguwesty I have been considering the higher $$ rem res stuff but pretty much for the dollar if I'm going to spend that I'd rather get something tailored and have local support eg. at least in Vic, so your mate Matt ticks that.

I also then think I'm going over the top and should just get an off the shelf basic shock setup. Haha first world problems.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If your a patrol is a keeper then buy once and but th best you can afford.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

sooty_10 (21st September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whole car weight is 2940kg, actually weighed total. Which works out as front + rear is that normal?

The springs did have sticker tags etc on them but are either gone or unreadable. I will make a few phone calls as suggested.

Yeah like bigguwesty I have been considering the higher $$ rem res stuff but pretty much for the dollar if I'm going to spend that I'd rather get something tailored and have local support eg. at least in Vic, so your mate Matt ticks that.

I also then think I'm going over the top and should just get an off the shelf basic shock setup. Haha first world problems.

You are correct with your weight..
    Mine was spot on 2800..
    So the extra 40 and 100 yours has makes it 2940kg.

I was really leaning towards the superior gear as you may have read earlier but there was a couple of points that made me go that next step..

Superior don't tune shocks in house. You have to chase up a branch that does it.
    From memory it was "The 4wd Shed" in Melbourne who tuned superior stuff.
    But that's an extra cost.. figures of $400 were mentioned to re valve... So at $1200 from memory add the tune cost it's only a $100 more and you have fox shocks, valved to your car..

The big one was Matt mentioned how superior had done shocks before and then dropped em..
    A bit of research turned up some very unhappy campers.. I think MR was one of em.. where as fox have always been around.

So I went that next step and got the Fox.
    I should have all the parts by the long weekend but am going camping so it'll be the weekend after lol..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

sooty_10 (21st September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Had a quick chat to Matt this morning and no fox don't have adjusters on them..
    That's an extra $600..
    Both companies will set the shocks to suit my car in house before sending them out.
    But that extra adjustability means a smoother ride over corrigations etc and the ability to firm em up when fully loaded..
    Poly airs will take the load yes, eventually.. but they won't stop roll..

Dam you guys..
    Im torn...
    Just thought I'd inform that superior don't actually adjust shocks in house. They supply shock at a set rate. They have outlets who do re valve to suit your ride but of course it's extra coin..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (21st September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    If your a patrol is a keeper then buy once and but th best you can afford.
    Selling the patrol would require selling my soul. Or at least upgrading patrols, so yeah she's a keeper.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sooty_10 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (21st September 2016), mudski (30th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I weighed my patrol front and rear w/ about half a main tank and empty sub. Front 1480kg Rear 1460kg.
    Ok so some coil sizes for you..

The 3.5T setup first..
    Only meassured the RHS due to time crush.
    FR 3.5T
    17 D rod, 405 long and 7 coils.

RR 3.5t
    22 D rod, 485 long and 9 coils

Now the new setup..
    FR 16 D rod, 405 L and only 6 coils..
    RR 19 D rod, 510 long and only 7 coils..

So as you can see the 3.5 kits is built tough.. not for comfort!!!
    I'm probably going to loose 30kg when I change em in coil weight lol..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

sooty_10 (23rd September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Ok so some coil sizes for you..

The 3.5T setup first..
    Only meassured the RHS due to time crush.
    FR 3.5T
    17 D rod, 405 long and 7 coils.

RR 3.5t
    22 D rod, 485 long and 9 coils

Now the new setup..
    FR 16 D rod, 405 L and only 6 coils..
    RR 19 D rod, 510 long and only 7 coils..

So as you can see the 3.5 kits is built tough.. not for comfort!!!
    I'm probably going to loose 30kg when I change em in coil weight lol..
    Thanks for that mate.

I got out and measured up my springs and shocks etc.

My current setup is:
    FL Spring
    420mm with 19.3mm wire. 9 coils.

RR Spring
    530mm with 19.3mm wire. 12 coils.

I'm tipping they are heavy heavy duty

My front suspension max travel (between shock mounts) is 585mm. This was with everything unbolted except the radius arm (no steering arms/shock/sways). I can see why guys run superflex arms. I undid the front radius bolt and the whole setup was able to drop heaps more - with 630mm until my spring became loose.

On compression to just touching bump it was 430mm with 80 series bumps. So from my reading I should take another 100mm for safety as a minimum with them.

Call it 330mm compressed shock length with no mods is that pretty standard?

So if I was to fit 10" fox (16.1" closed = 408.94mm call it 410mm) I would need 70-80mm worth of bump/tower mods. Considering doing a 40-50mm tower lift (what I can fit) as I like the idea of more up travel, with the rest on the bump?
    10" fox has ~ 660mm extension, minus any tower lift ~ 610mm max extension from current shock mounts. I have 585mm max drop currently so that should fit nicely??

Rear maximum extension with swaybar connected is 695mm, no swaybar is 785mm. On compression I had 450mm between shock mounts on bump contact (factory bump), so take another 50mm, 400mm with bump compressed.

The 11" fox compressed is 435mm extended is 714mm. So for extension it would suit nicely with 40-50mm bump mods?

Haha lots of Q's in there, just trying to get my head around it all before I decide on spending serious cash.

Thanks
    @bigguwesty have you got your shocks/springs in yet?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast