Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overheating after new radiator and thermostat

Hi guys

Quick question on overheating..

2013 GU overheating, took it to Nissan - one new radiator (radiator was blocked as hell, had mixed coolants etc) and thermostat later and the car is still overheating - this time on hills and in particular as soon as you turn on the aircon (even when you quickly turn it off is stays hot). If I keep the car on the straights and not push it hard it doesn't overheat - as soon as I switch on the aircon or give it a bit on a hill it overheats immediately.

Nissan are adamant the cooling system etc is perfect. They did say that my shroud has parts missing and or/broken off, which they have ordered and will be fixed tomorrow.

Question is - can parts missing off the shroud cause these overheating issues? I'm not totally convinced and it's going to cost me $800 with labour. Help! Any advice would be great.

Cheers
    Damo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Do you know what boost you are acheiving,
    There is a piece at the bottom of the shroud that effects the performance
    but not $800 bucks worth
    Did they check the viscous fan,??
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert mate but I'm inclined to disagree ith the stealership. I wouldn't think the shroud would have that effect, and $800 to supply and fit a shroud seems a bit steep anyway. The bottom line is that power = heat and when you go up hills or give it a bit of stick or turn the AC on, you increase the power you are using and therefore the heat from the motor. The waterpump,and radiator should be able to cope with all the load /power you can put on, thats why they are there. My 3ltr runs at 88deg normal, 91deg on a red hot day and coming out of Kalbarri recently with full boot in towing a trailer uphil on a 40deg day with AC on it went to 95deg. It all normalises as soon as the extra load comes off.
    I would think circulation rather than shroud but see what others come up with.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Do you know what boost you are acheiving,
    There is a piece at the bottom of the shroud that effects the performance
    but not $800 bucks worth
    Did they check the viscous fan,??
    Cheers for replying threedogs.

Apparently theres a couple of bits missing, total cost about $600 then labour. The guy I'm dealing with there is a top bloke and has looked after me before. He reckons they've tested everything and that it's definitely the shroud. The engine has only done 30k so surely wouldn't be a cracked head?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to damoboss For This Useful Post:

threedogs (16th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    I'm no expert mate but I'm inclined to disagree ith the stealership. I wouldn't think the shroud would have that effect, and $800 to supply and fit a shroud seems a bit steep anyway. The bottom line is that power = heat and when you go up hills or give it a bit of stick or turn the AC on, you increase the power you are using and therefore the heat from the motor. The waterpump,and radiator should be able to cope with all the load /power you can put on, thats why they are there. My 3ltr runs at 88deg normal, 91deg on a red hot day and coming out of Kalbarri recently with full boot in towing a trailer uphil on a 40deg day with AC on it went to 95deg. It all normalises as soon as the extra load comes off.
    I would think circulation rather than shroud but see what others come up with.
    My heart kind of agrees with you 4bye4 but they are pretty adamant it's the shroud.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on what part of the shroud is missing it could be letting the hot air from the back of the radiator circulate to the front

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    there is a post somewhere that mentions that that small say 300mm x 50mm piece
    at the bottom of the shround has a huge effect on the cooling.
    Have to agree $800 sounds a bit steep for a 20min job and thats taking my time
    Last edited by threedogs; 17th March 2017 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone is close to Glenrowen I have a radiator from a 2002 GU 3 ltr auto that I removed and replaced when we bought it ( supplied because of over heating issues) but problem was elsewhere so if anyone wants it and are close pm me you can have it .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

threedogs (18th March 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,318 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by damoboss View Post
    Cheers for replying threedogs.

Apparently theres a couple of bits missing, total cost about $600 then labour. The guy I'm dealing with there is a top bloke and has looked after me before. He reckons they've tested everything and that it's definitely the shroud. The engine has only done 30k so surely wouldn't be a cracked head?
    Cant that much of a top bloke. Like Threedogs said, theres a small plastic strip on the lower section of the shroud, about an inch or so wide and about 400mm long. This is fairly common to go missing. This would take about 2minutes to fit. Tops.
    The shroud itself, from memory on the zd30 is in two halves. Upper and lower. I cant remember this to be honest. But the entire shroud is no way near $400.
    Can you take some pics of the top and bottom of the rad and shroud?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Cant that much of a top bloke. Like Threedogs said, theres a small plastic strip on the lower section of the shroud, about an inch or so wide and about 400mm long. This is fairly common to go missing. This would take about 2minutes to fit. Tops.
    The shroud itself, from memory on the zd30 is in two halves. Upper and lower. I cant remember this to be honest. But the entire shroud is no way near $400.
    Can you take some pics of the top and bottom of the rad and shroud?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
    Just confirming what Mark is saying the shroud is in 3 pieces
    a top and bottom half then that strip which is say 400mm long by 40mm
    Cant see it being close $800 but then again its genuine Nissan lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast