Button car plan

Ford Falcon (utility) Nissan Ute
    Holden Commodore Toyota Lexcen
    Nissan Pintara Ford Corsair
    Nissan Pulsar Holden Astra
    Toyota Camry Holden Apollo
    Toyota Corolla Holden Nova
    Nissan Patrol Ford Maverick

The Button car plan, also known as the Button plan,[1] was the informal name given to the Motor Industry Development Plan,[1] an Australian federal (Labor) government initiative intended to rationalise the Australian motor vehicle industry and transition it to lower levels of protection. It took its name from Senator John Button, the then federal Minister for Commerce, Trade and Industry.[1][2]

Contents
    1 Initial planning
    2 Badge engineering
    3 Outcomes
    4 See also
    5 References
    Initial planning
    Industry consultation began in mid-1983 and the scheme was announced in mid-1984. It came into effect in 1985, after Senator Button visited Japan to inform the car companies there of the content of the plan. At the time of the plan's inception, Australia's motor industry was heavily protected by import tariffs, and quotas or quantitative restrictions on imports. These measures were used to support local assembly of thirteen models by a range of manufacturers.

The Button car plan aimed to slash the number of locally manufactured models to six, by forcing industry consolidation——there were to be three groups each producing two models each by 1992.[3] The overarching aim of the scheme was to make the motor vehicle industry in Australia more efficient through consolidation of resources, and so allowing the import tariffs to be gradually reduced. Theoretically this would expose the local industry to increased competition from imported products, fostering improvement in local vehicles and creating the basis for a competitive export industry.

Badge engineering
    The most obvious effect of the plan for the Australian car buyer was the appearance of badge-engineered vehicles, where the same basic vehicle was sold by several companies under different names. Other approaches included the Ford Courier and Mazda B-Series utilities utilising Mitsubishi's 2.6-litre Astron four-cylinder engine, and a proposal to replace Mitsubishi's locally built Colt with a rebadged Toyota Corolla. This proposal, however, never eventuated.

Holden initially teamed up with Nissan in 1984, where the Nissan Pulsar was sold as the Holden Astra. Later Pulsar and Astra models in Australia used Holden-sourced powertrains. This arrangement dissolved in 1989, and General Motors–Holden and Toyota formed United Australian Automobile Industries (UAAI). The vehicles produced as a result of this joint venture, the Holden Apollo (Toyota Camry), Holden Nova (Toyota Corolla) and Toyota Lexcen (Holden Commodore) lasted until 1996 for the Holden-badged derivatives models, and 1997 for Lexcen.

From 1988 to 1994, Ford Australia rebadged the Y60 Patrol as the Ford Maverick.[4] The car was mechanically similar, although the Nissan version had rear disc brakes depending on vehicle grade, while the Ford mostly had drum brakes and featured different paint colours and trim levels.

Outcomes
    This sharing of models proved unpopular with buyers, and also with manufacturers, each of which kept the best models in the relevant ranges for itself.[5] Consequently, the original models outsold their badge-engineered counterparts; for example, the Toyota Corolla and Camry outsold the Holden Nova and Apollo seven to one.[6] The last of such models, the Toyota Lexcen (Holden Commodore), was dropped in 1997.

Rather than share locally assembled models with other manufacturers, Holden, Ford and Toyota decided to import fully built-up models from subsidiaries elsewhere in the world, mainly Europe and Japan.

Nissan ended car manufacturing in Australia completely in 1994. Mitsubishi Motors, which did not share any models with other manufacturers during the period of the plan, ended Australian manufacturing in 2008. Ford ceased Australian production in 2016, whereas Holden and Toyota did so in 2017, leaving no large scale, mass market Australian production of cars. Eventually proving the plan to remove protections on locally made cars, a huge failure.

Holden Astra (Nissan Pulsar) from 1987
    Holden Astra
    (Nissan Pulsar) from 1987

Ford Maverick (Nissan Patrol) from 1988.
    Ford Maverick
    (Nissan Patrol) from 1988.

Nissan Ute (Ford XF Falcon) from 1989.
    Nissan Ute
    (Ford XF Falcon) from 1989.

Ford Corsair (Nissan Pintara) from 1989.
    Ford Corsair
    (Nissan Pintara) from 1989.

Holden Apollo (Toyota Camry) from 1989.
    Holden Apollo
    (Toyota Camry) from 1989.

Holden Nova (Toyota Corolla) from 1989.
    Holden Nova
    (Toyota Corolla) from 1989.

Toyota Lexcen (Holden VS Commodore) from 1995.
    Toyota Lexcen (Holden VS Commodore) from 1995.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

MB (22nd October 2022), mudnut (7th November 2022), MudRunnerTD (23rd October 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I AGREE Brother, 8 minutes, can barely Cut & Paste my own name in 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (23rd October 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does owning a Maverick count?

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    By FAR, Bestest Introduction EVER @ BSG Old Mate

This is AWESOME Plassy BROTHER

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toyoda Landcrabs & Lexususs?
    Was that just richies Blue Oyster Bar leather seats or some other illuminate overpriced branded crud

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Toyoda Landcrabs & Lexususs?
    Was that just richies Blue Oyster Bar leather seats or some other illuminate overpriced branded crud

Nah that is closer in relationship to Holden and HSV. In most instances there is a fair bit of panel change too and most of the interior. Mainly shell, drive train and chassis. But Brakes, suspension, performance luxuries are all Lexus.

Maybe closer now to BMW and M-Series.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (24th October 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    By FAR, Bestest Introduction EVER @ BSG Old Mate

Hahahahaha!!! He ran away!!! 1 Post!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (24th October 2022), mudnut (23rd October 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you call yourself a “Moderator”, you’re supposed to be there 24/7 to clean up Messy Members & Hackers

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (24th October 2022), MudRunnerTD (24th October 2022)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't run away.
    Been busy reading and ordering parts.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BSG For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (7th November 2022), MB (7th November 2022), mudnut (7th November 2022), mudski (7th November 2022)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123