Thread: Harrop 2300 supercharger to Optimiser 6500

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, finished for this break, smaller pulley installed, boost gauge showing 3PSI at idle, fuel consumption 2.75LPHR, up from 1.5LPHR when naturally aspirated. Bigger pump, bigger injectors. Took it for a quick spin, bit more punch, again, first and second pointless, but noticeable in 3rd thru 5th. Need to sort out the ac pump wire next before it gets gassed. Still some more interchiller hoses to connect or more correctly replace the original hoses from cabin evaporator to ac pump, then tie in the interchiller hoses. Coming up to 10 months off the road in April, so looking forward to getting it back on the road.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudnut (18th March 2020), Rossco (18th March 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jesus christ! Theres so much going on under than bonnet, I don't know where to look! I haven't read back but how does it go now with the S/c fitted up?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, its punchy. instant response, at times under hard acceleration it wants to drift a bit on the road, sort of like some sort of weird torque reaction tipping it off line. The s/c whines a bit, and even more now with the 65mm pulley, which is supposed to equate to 18-20psi, but I suspect with the pressure drop across the water to air intercooler its more like a net boost around 15psi, which is fine for what I want. I have a pile of sensors hooked up in order to learn a bit about how to drive it to best effect. As you know, there is a heap of info out on the net about just about everything, but little of it validated. All this started with the post from @johno90 who played around with a home grown setup with good results.

The application of the interchiller setup to super chill the w2a intercooler on a diesel is a first I think for the mob I bought it from. They have provided excellent service and are very responsive to questions. I am targeting lower egt's than previous and from what I have read, this seems to be a valid pathway. The journey has been far from easy to say the least, lots of stuff simply having to be designed and resolved as it arose. Right now I have the last of the a/c hoses to resolve, then find that damn clutch wire - and off to the ac guy to gas it up after ne makes me two custom fittings.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudski (18th March 2020)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm keen to see this beast in action now.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I'm keen to see this beast in action now.
    See you at Licola!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (18th March 2020), mudski (18th March 2020)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you retain the existing condenser in front of the radiator?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the stage 2 kit uses both the factory and a second condenser

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been talking to the interchiller guys, and he mentioned that you had measured high intake air temps, which was why he recommended the stage 2 setup.
    Very impressive setup.
    But something has been bothering me over the last few months with your install, the drilling out of the manifold holes, the supercharger snout interfering with the thermo housing, when mine had no such problems,
    then it occurred to me, did bullet supply the manifold insulator spacers?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poindexter View Post
    I have been talking to the interchiller guys, and he mentioned that you had measured high intake air temps, which was why he recommended the stage 2 setup.
    Very impressive setup.
    But something has been bothering me over the last few months with your install, the drilling out of the manifold holes, the supercharger snout interfering with the thermo housing, when mine had no such problems,
    then it occurred to me, did bullet supply the manifold insulator spacers?
    Well, I don't know. I purchased the kit and had it shipped to BD so they could do the dummy alignment. The whole lot was trial assembled on a motor and that photo furnished as evidence it fitted. The single photos shows the assy being sweet, but they never ran it to check the pulley alignment, plus you cannot see if all the manifold bolts were fitted either. I seal clamped the phenolic plates to the head and every single bolt lined up. I left them clamped overnight then removed the bolts next morning and tried to clamp the supercharger down. Only the 4 centre bolts would go in, all the rest were miles out. I think I see where you are going - my plates are perhaps 8mm thick at a guess, could be 6mm. Funny enough the same misalignment happened with the new manifold as well, however I was ready for it this time. When I upgraded to the higher pressure pulley, I bought the pulley off Bullet - $120 cheaper than BD by the way, and I gave them the offset required. They machined their pulley to suit and also supplied a set of spacers and new bolts.. I ended up staying with they Unbrako 12.9's as the ones from bullet are not head stamped and one let go early in the piece - might be something worth changing to be honest.
    I am still running the 6 rib belt, however it slips under a heavy rev, so the 8 rib will go on when I get back. I found a 'green backed commercial belt that is a lot stiffer and harder than the normal rubber belt, so will give these run.
    All the remaining hoses and fittings have arrived, excepting the 2 custom ones that the a/c guy needs to make. Getting closer - again!

Where are you up to?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you do have the spacers then, just strange that all my bolts dropped in.

Spent some time "optimising" the engine location, happy with where is sits, now to see if the hood will shut!
    Doing the fuel lines, hydoboost and seeing how the shifter will work.
    Has been slow progress so far, however that has allowed me to look into some other areas that need sorting, like the interchiller etc.
    Where did you get your 8rib pulleys from? I know Leroy did the crank, but what about the others.

Page 25 of 53 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast