Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question. Boost & Fuel.

I fitted a boost gauge a few months back as part of my Dawse install, everything has been going great.

Recently my boost gauge went belly up so I decided to use the Torque app on my phone to watch boost with that.

I already knew that for whatever reason, there's about a 5 psi difference between what my boost gauge tells me and what the Torque app tells me, gauge says 15, app says 10.

I set my Dawse to give me about 15 psi via my gauge (which is 10 on the app) as everyone seems to be happy that around 15psi is a safe spot to have it set to.

Driving home today I was thinking, 'What determines how much fuel is put into the motor to match the amount of boost?' It can only be the ECU. Then I asked myself 'How would the ECU know how much boost is being made?' It can only be from whatever it is, that is giving me the boost figures my Torque app uses.

Does that sound correct? Does the ECU use the same info the Torque app would be reading?

I was thinking then, if it is, I could possibly wind my Dawse valve in and up my boost and consequently get more power. Does that sound feasible?

Currently my EGTs rarely hit 500, hottest I can remember seeing on more than a few occassions is around 470, it has hit 500 since the Dawse install but very very rarely.

The thing that brought this to my mind was the thought that I can alter the boost via the Dawse valve, but I can't alter the amount of fuel going in, am I running rich or lean, I don't know. I just thought that the ECU must have some way of working out how much fuel to put in and it must be related to boost, so where could it get the boost info from, could it be the same place as the Torque app does??? If it is, then that app data is more useful than the gauge data.

Any thoughts or info or corrections etc???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a electronic boost sensor attached to the front of the intercooler. That’s the plug and wire at the very front. Do you think that the app on your phone is giving the different reading? My scangauge and boost gauge give very similar readings. The ecu will read the boost and use it in its fueling calculations.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Trol View Post
    There is a electronic boost sensor attached to the front of the intercooler. That’s the plug and wire at the very front. Do you think that the app on your phone is giving the different reading? My scangauge and boost gauge give very similar readings. The ecu will read the boost and use it in its fueling calculations.
    Yeah, I'm not sure which one is correct? I wound up the boost last night and went for a spin. The app was reading up to 19PSI which is too high, I noticed some increase in acceleration and oil squirting from the EGR hose so wound it back down again.

Going to see if there is another app similar to Torque and see what that does.