Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G'day

G'day
    New member and new Patrol owner. I have literally just purchased (3 hours ago) a Y62. I look forward to learning from everyone here.
    Cheers.
    Michael.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to V8Y62 For This Useful Post:

MB (8th June 2023)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dhuck For This Useful Post:

V8Y62 (4th June 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day right back at you.

Just a heads up: Us GUY61 owners, and a few oldies, are not so excited by the Y62, so, feel free to share what excites you about yours.

Not sure many of us can help with work on it, I hear it's a whole new beast! You may find yourself in demand when new members start asking questions...

So welcome aboard V8Y62

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Girl For This Useful Post:

V8Y62 (6th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

V8Y62 (6th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day mate, welcome aboard.

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

V8Y62 (6th June 2023)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Girl View Post
    G'day right back at you.

Just a heads up: Us GUY61 owners, and a few oldies, are not so excited by the Y62, so, feel free to share what excites you about yours.

Not sure many of us can help with work on it, I hear it's a whole new beast! You may find yourself in demand when new members start asking questions...

So welcome aboard V8Y62
    I'm a mechanic by trade and a teacher by profession. I remember when the 60 and 61 models were new and had a fair bit to do with them at the various dealerships I worked at but never owned any. Nissan actually turned me off when they ditched the TD42 for the 3 litre TD. I know it was due to emissions but the 3 litre TD was/is a crappy engine that was a warranty pain. I must also say I'm not a fan of diesels and like common rails less that the old mechanical injection systems.

The reason I bought it was to replace my tired Commodore wagon that was due for rego at the end of this month and decided it did not like working anymore. I needed a family vehicle that is safe, comfortable, and that various members of my family could get into and out of safely, the 62 fitted each criteria nicely. I want it to retain these criteria and I want it to be a sleeper. I am not going to go crazy with external addons but I want the engine to perform at its best for each modification that I do to it.

I do plan to do a bit of work, as funds permit, on my Y62 and will document it as I go, I'll be happy if that helps others. I've watched alot, and I mean alot, of videos on YouTube that show impressive numbers but they all lack verifiable evidence except for dyno numbers for full power runs. I like performance vehicles, I've owned a few over the years and even have a V8 Holden in a Toyota (sorry for saying that name here), the VK56 engine is an awesome piece of engineering and it is what attracted me to the 62. I will post what I do to my 62 as I go but I have no doubt others will have already done many of the things I will do, and there are YouTube videos that show a few of them and that have given me inspiration.

I have no particular order or time frame but I'll probably start with dataloging the engine (HP Tuners and/or WinOLS), then add some usability modifications from Ko Gear, then work on engine performance (exhaust then intake), then maybe add a front locker (I dislike electric and air operated lockers but can't find mechanical lockers that fit the 62 front diff).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, V8Y62
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Big Girl has been giving my grief and none of the threads here have helped.

Sounds like your knowledge will be well received here. I haven't looked but you may even start a Y62 thread for mods.

Wishing you well for your adventure, and your story makes sense. Cheers Bud.