Thread: Water powered hammer for camping use

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Even though it's not his most impressive build, I bloody love the slingshot vid. Far out I didn't imagine they'd have that sort of power. Imagine being hit in the scone by that! Lights out permanently, good night, fare well, arividerchi, saionara, bon voyage, see ya round like a record......or just drop instantly dead like a huge sack of shit.
    Also liked his (sharp) 'Bow&Arrow' vid thanks mate! We used to make arrows only out of 'Bracken' stems. Leave the root ball on for a bit of fun smack the crap outa ya mates back :-(

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    These stuff actually go back to the times of ancient Egyptians, Babylonians, etc.
    We used these techniques at the very beginning of the civilizations, around 5k+ years ago.

There is no such thing as the "third world". It is an out of date term now. It was just a condescending term invented by an old out of date economist with an inferiority/superiority complex. Nowadays, we use the term "developing world", 'cos some of those second world countries have surpassed the first world and we are desperately depending on the so called old "third world" to make sure we eat & get our everyday stuff cheap.

Many of his demos are pretty useful for bush living. This will most certainly come handy with my pending project of fully self contained off the grid house.
    Aploogies for being 'out of date' DOM. The term is still relevent and developing world is another example of politically correct rebranding to disguise what the reality actually is. I cant see how you have drawn the conclusion about the personal attributes and origins of the term - no idea where it originates, however I would suspect its simply a ranking term, which is a natural attribute of everything we do today.

I have a friend with a totally 'off the grid' home and can assure you he uses none of the techiniques in the video's, instead utilises 'modern day hardware'. I am not saying its not practical or preferable, but good luck if you go this path as I think it is likely to be the long path to independence.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

dom14 (29th June 2017), Winnie (29th June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Having read a little about this youtube guy, I don't think he's trying to promote this as an alternative lifestyle. He lives what we call a "normal" life in a modern house, has a science/biology degree, obviously uses modern camera and computer equipment to make the vids, etc. The property he films on is private land owned by a relative I believe, not public land, and in one vid there's a helicopter in the background so he's not out in the middle of woop-woop. I think this is just an interest/hobby of his which he makes entertaining videos about.

I do enjoy the vids but would not want to actually live like that. I like simple pleasures but turning the clock back 10,000 years would be a bit much!

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

dom14 (29th June 2017), MudRunnerTD (29th June 2017), mudski (29th June 2017), PeeBee (29th June 2017), Touses (29th June 2017), TPC (29th June 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah certainly impressive what he does none the less.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,241 Times in 642 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of early mans more useful inventions
    cave.jpeg

Should still be in use today!
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

dom14 (29th June 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I'm trying to think of one useful bush application that thing has got over a rock sitting on the ground that could do the same job, but faster. Ahh unless the user has two broken arms and can't break his brazil nuts?
    Nutcracker idea was me trying to be a comedian and thought folks might crack up.

It's been used for water collection, redirection, etc since Babylonian times(it's likely they invented that).

Hammer is a new idea for me. Sure, hammer is not likely to come up as a camping application, but the other two above can be and
    then the sky is the limit.
    Think like Macgyver.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touses View Post
    One of early mans more useful inventions
    cave.jpeg

Should still be in use today!
    No argument there.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Also liked his (sharp) 'Bow&Arrow' vid thanks mate! We used to make arrows only out of 'Bracken' stems. Leave the root ball on for a bit of fun smack the crap outa ya mates back :-(
    Yeah, I would love to build that and get into that hobby/sport.
    You can get a good kick by hitting a target from distance.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Think like Macgyver.
    Like with some chewing gum and a paper clip?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Aploogies for being 'out of date' DOM. The term is still relevent and developing world is another example of politically correct rebranding to disguise what the reality actually is. I cant see how you have drawn the conclusion about the personal attributes and origins of the term - no idea where it originates, however I would suspect its simply a ranking term, which is a natural attribute of everything we do today.

I have a friend with a totally 'off the grid' home and can assure you he uses none of the techiniques in the video's, instead utilises 'modern day hardware'. I am not saying its not practical or preferable, but good luck if you go this path as I think it is likely to be the long path to independence.
    I didn't mean living in a mud brick hut.
    I meant using some of the techniques to devise sustainable technologies.
    It's been a long time dream of mine to build a house where I don't need water or electricity from the grid, but
    using rainwater/ground water & solar/wind power. As for building the house, using mud bricks is not a bad idea at all It is a good idea depending on the location. I guess the solar power idea can be bit expensive atm, but who knows! In future, fully off the grid solar setup can be cheaper as the technology gets cheaper.

I agree the PC can go out of control and having to watch every damn word before using it is a real PITA.

I didn't mean you used the term "third world" in a condescending way, but it does carry such connotations behind it in common vernacular. It's been used to describe stinking poor, dirty, slum, disease ridden conditions in certain parts of Africa, Asia, South America, etc. But, it's easy to forget such conditions exist right in the middle of the developed world as well.

I've seen the term's being used loosely by folks from time to time, hence the reason for my lecture.
    It was initially a political division but used largely in common vernacular in derogatory or condescending sense.
    I avoid the term 'cos I've seen the so called vernacular "third world" in the middle of this island that I've never seen anywhere including Asia or Africa, which has been troubling for me quite sometime but that's a topic we won't discuss.
    Check this out, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World

The use of terms "developed world" and "developing world" is the modern revision of it, and it's mostly economical, 'cos the political/economical rubbish that used to exist to create the three worlds are no more . Retiring the word "third world" from academic circle was a good idea 'cos it is no longer relevant.
    Of course, using the term as you wish is your right.
    Pointing out it no longer carries any academic weight is my right.

Again, I do agree that we do have an issue with over abundance of PC, but I can assure you the retirement of the term "Third World" has nothing to do with PC.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast