Thread: Hot box

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot box

Had a good weekend up at Talbotville towed the camper trailer up to Grant from Dargo then down Macmillans track
    on the way there we developed an annoying noise thinking there was a stone caught in the brake shields thought
    no more about it
    We did Collingwood spur track down to Bull town spur down that then crossed all the river crossings back to camp along
    Crooked river track
    All went well no noises parked up for the rest of the day Next morning started up and the dreddard squeal started up
    Belt tensioner I thought it kept up till we got to the top of Macmillans with the camper then stopped
    got home ok except the engine temps were a bit higher than normal and the gear box was very hot in side the cab

Un hooking the camper this morning I noticed a light film of oil on the back of wagon as spots so looked underneath
    yep oil from the box was there drove it over to the town and back no problem everything seemed normal
    took a gamble and drove to Morwell for an appointment and back no problem

I suspect a bearing or worse but could the oil boil in the box and find a way out both plugs are tight so must have done a
    seal ?????

any thoughts on this or suggestions would be appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you remember to get me a Dargo Pub sticker, to match my bundy flag and CAT mudflaps? PML
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

Rossco (28th November 2016)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Roofy View Post
    Had a good weekend up at Talbotville towed the camper trailer up to Grant from Dargo then down Macmillans track
    on the way there we developed an annoying noise thinking there was a stone caught in the brake shields thought
    no more about it
    We did Collingwood spur track down to Bull town spur down that then crossed all the river crossings back to camp along
    Crooked river track
    All went well no noises parked up for the rest of the day Next morning started up and the dreddard squeal started up
    Belt tensioner I thought it kept up till we got to the top of Macmillans with the camper then stopped
    got home ok except the engine temps were a bit higher than normal and the gear box was very hot in side the cab

Un hooking the camper this morning I noticed a light film of oil on the back of wagon as spots so looked underneath
    yep oil from the box was there drove it over to the town and back no problem everything seemed normal
    took a gamble and drove to Morwell for an appointment and back no problem

I suspect a bearing or worse but could the oil boil in the box and find a way out both plugs are tight so must have done a
    seal ?????

any thoughts on this or suggestions would be appreciated
    I had something similar with a gearbox slightly overfilled and it built up pressure and blew out the rear seal. The mess on the back tailgate looked terminal, however it stopped once the overfilled material was ejected. I took it to the dealer and a 4wd repairer and they both confirmed the above. Didn,t need to do anything except pay closer attention to fill level. Have you topped either the gearbox or transfer case recently or changed the grade of oil?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Sir Roofy (29th November 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    Did you remember to get me a Dargo Pub sticker, to match my bundy flag and CAT mudflaps? PML
    ill get you one next time

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    I had something similar with a gearbox slightly overfilled and it built up pressure and blew out the rear seal. The mess on the back tailgate looked terminal, however it stopped once the overfilled material was ejected. I took it to the dealer and a 4wd repairer and they both confirmed the above. Didn,t need to do anything except pay closer attention to fill level. Have you topped either the gearbox or transfer case recently or changed the grade of oil?
    no changed it well before the new motor went in have done the Simpson since then

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't get any water in it from the river crossings? Might be worth doing a change and see how it goes, hopefully it's nothing major. .

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Didn't get any water in it from the river crossings? Might be worth doing a change and see how it goes, hopefully it's nothing major. .
    Don't think so mate breather pipes are ok unless the top one has broken
    the oil is pretty thick

Thanks
    Thanked 11,322 Times in 4,991 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst changing all the oils out @Sir Roofy double check the breathers aren't blocked too mate.
    In regards seals, I used to find my old cruisers would suck in water if going from too hot straight into cold streams so regular dumping of oils was required after that country. Cheers mate.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Whilst changing all the oils out @Sir Roofy double check the breathers aren't blocked too mate.
    In regards seals, I used to find my old cruisers would suck in water if going from too hot straight into cold streams so regular dumping of oils was required after that country. Cheers mate.
    This... but having breathers should make this not an issue. Should...
    Undo the filler plug and if you have a suction gun, suck a bit of oil out to see whats its like. Were you driving around in low range using 4th or 5th? I spoke with a gearbox mech and he said while its ok, to do this, its not advisable as it does make things a whole lot hotter in the box as everything is spinning a crap load faster. Hence making the oil hot.
    I doubt it would be a bearing, just a seal.

Wheres the oil coming from too? Front gearbox seal, the transfer case seal on the front shaft or the transfer case seal on the rear shaft? If its on of the latter two, you just need to inspect the transfer case oil. Did you change this aswell prior the simmo trip, or just the gearbox oil?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    This... but having breathers should make this not an issue. Should...
    Undo the filler plug and if you have a suction gun, suck a bit of oil out to see whats its like. Were you driving around in low range using 4th or 5th? I spoke with a gearbox mech and he said while its ok, to do this, its not advisable as it does make things a whole lot hotter in the box as everything is spinning a crap load faster. Hence making the oil hot.
    I doubt it would be a bearing, just a seal.

Wheres the oil coming from too? Front gearbox seal, the transfer case seal on the front shaft or the transfer case seal on the rear shaft? If its on of the latter two, you just need to inspect the transfer case oil. Did you change this aswell prior the simmo trip, or just the gearbox oil?
    prior the simmo both boxes --------breather pipes seem ok and seals maybe
    was driving around in 2and 3 except going down the steep parts was in first low
    not using any heavy braking just a touch
    that all seemed fine it was towing when the box got hot on the way home
    will check the oil and see what it s like

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

mudski (29th November 2016)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast