Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    On the same note

Has anyone successfully managed to fit a cyclonic pre cleaner onto one of these snorkels. If so how & what size (min/max airflow) cleaner? (for TD42i)
    Are you talking about the Donaldson Top Spin and Top Spin HD pre cleaners? I sell heaps of them. You will lose flow rate over a standard snorkel however, but they are great in super dusty conditions. Useless if you rarely see a dirt road obviously.
    I have all the info at work on flow rates etc, can't be bothered right now looking for it. Lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    G'day Cuppa. That's what this blokes adaptors are for, so you can fit a pre-cleaner. As an example:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/14361418...torefresh=true
    Looks like he only makes them for Pajeros & FJ Cruisers.

Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Are you talking about the Donaldson Top Spin and Top Spin HD pre cleaners? I sell heaps of them. You will lose flow rate over a standard snorkel however, but they are great in super dusty conditions. Useless if you rarely see a dirt road obviously.
    I have all the info at work on flow rates etc, can't be bothered right now looking for it. Lol.
    Yes that's the one I fancy - the Plastic Top Spin. When you say that you would lose flow rate, would I be correct that this would only affect things at higher revs? If so I doubt that it would present much of a problem for me, I rarely rev much over 3k. Or do I have that wrong? I've seen this Donaldson publication but cant work out what size I need from it.
    https://www.donaldson.com/content/da...ccessories.pdf

Three things needed to determine if I should buy one 1. Whether suitable adaptor can be bought/made. 2. Whether the diameter of the most appropriate Top Spin (air flow wise) will fit (& of course the adaptor would need suitable angles) 3. what the best flow rates are - From what I can see, some need a minimum airflow to get the thing spinning & some types need more airflow than the Patrol would have at lower revs? And of course the higher the max airflow rate the better I guess.

If I can get my head around this & find a way of getting a suitable adapter whilst we are still out here in woop woop lockdown you'll have a customer.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes that's the one I fancy - the Plastic Top Spin. When you say that you would lose flow rate, would I be correct that this would only affect things at higher revs? If so I doubt that it would present much of a problem for me, I rarely rev much over 3k.

If I can get my head around this & find a way of getting a suitable adapter whilst we are still out here in woop woop lockdown you'll have a customer.
    Don't bother with the Plastic Top Spin, you will destroy it on the first corrugated road. The HD version is a better choice but I think these wouldn't take the pounding. These are primarily made for low speed applications, Dump trucks, dozers etc etc... We sell them to the 4wd'ers on the occassion but tell them and note on the invoice the application and there ain't gonna be warranty when they destroy it.
    So my calculations, the Factory TD42Ti requires approximately 890 CFM, maybe even a bit higher, of air at maximum RPM which for these motors is spec'd at 4000rpm. See pic below, you would need to use part number H002855.
    But the inlet size is huge, 6inch. You can go smaller, but you may overwork the Top Spin making it not efficient enough. Not to mention wearing it out.
    top spin.jpg

I would recommend just adapting a standard precleaner that uses the plastic bowl. They work really well also.
    Last edited by mudski; 3rd June 2020 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Don't bother with the Plastic Top Spin, you will destroy it on the first corrugated road. The HD version is a better choice but I think these wouldn't take the pounding.

I would recommend just adapting a standard precleaner that uses the plastic bowl. They work really well also.
    Thanks for checking. I did try to work it our some time back, & came up with a high flow figure much the same as yours, & thought I must have got it wrong! I suppose that's why I've never seen a Top Spin on a car! When you suggest a 'standard pre-cleaner' are you talking something like the Donaldson 'Full View' type - clear bowl & empty once in a while? It seems that even using one of them it would need a 6" 'throat to get the sufficient airflow. The model (H000821) which would best match my snorkel size (87mm) only flows a max of 330cfm

So these type of pre cleaners are common on older Toyotas ...... is this because when you see them they are generally on older non turbo motors? Does a turbo demand a much higher airflow. I'm guessing it probably does .... in which case back to the drawing board ....... or more accurately back to carrying spare air filters, & cleaning out the sand now & then. One time, having travelled from Tibooburra to Bourke & got caught in a dust storm I knocked the filter element on the bull bar after pulling up at a servo in Bourke & just a light tap resulted in a pile of sand a couple of inches high. ........ but the filter had done it's job & kept it out of the motor. ...... & that was with us stopping to wait the worst of the storm out!.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for checking. I did try to work it our some time back, & came up with a high flow figure much the same as yours, & thought I must have got it wrong! I suppose that's why I've never seen a Top Spin on a car! When you suggest a 'standard pre-cleaner' are you talking something like the Donaldson 'Full View' type - clear bowl & empty once in a while? It seems that even using one of them it would need a 6" 'throat to get the sufficient airflow. The model (H000821) which would best match my snorkel size (87mm) only flows a max of 330cfm

So these type of pre cleaners are common on older Toyotas ...... is this because when you see them they are generally on older non turbo motors? Does a turbo demand a much higher airflow. I'm guessing it probably does .... in which case back to the drawing board ....... or more accurately back to carrying spare air filters, & cleaning out the sand now & then. One time, having travelled from Tibooburra to Bourke & got caught in a dust storm I knocked the filter element on the bull bar after pulling up at a servo in Bourke & just a light tap resulted in a pile of sand a couple of inches high. ........ but the filter had done it's job & kept it out of the motor. ...... & that was with us stopping to wait the worst of the storm out!.
    Yeah the full view type... I've had a few customers come in and say they switch to the precleaner once they hit the dirt, because your air flow requirements will be lower. But on the blacktop they stick with the ram head.
    A turbo will demand a lot more air than a N/A motor. Then if you add an intercooler its more again. Then if you add variable vane turbo's and electronically controlled engines, its more again.
    In your case mate. I would have a precleaner bowl setup to switch over when you are on the low speed dirt. Its only a hose clamp to unscrew and screw up again. You could make an adaptor too so you can use the next size up precleaner assy so you have the slightly higher flow rate. Done this plenty for the Tojo's. Just used a piece of hose over the snorkel with the right wall thickness to make the OD the right size for the next sized precleaner.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep that's all currently, however I'm working with him to try to make an adapter for the Airtec snorkel on my GU so I can fit a different head. I'm sure if we get it right he'll be making more.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Yep that's all currently, however I'm working with him to try to make an adapter for the Airtec snorkel on my GU so I can fit a different head. I'm sure if we get it right he'll be making more.
    Ta, he just wrote back to me to say he was working with someone to make a GU one!😀. Not sure that a cyclonic pre cleaner is the way to go now though. Is that what you are planning?

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Cuppa. No I'm just going for a more traditional ram head, I hate the Airtec head.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12