Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDC when travelling?

Who else travels with the same things in their pocket every day?

For me, I have always had a love of knives but didn't really realise until I was in my early 40's when I discovered Spyderco. My previous pocket knives had been a Buck folder and a Gerber folder. Both decent users in their own ways but had nothing on the way the Spydie was to use.

The little black one on the left is what I carry at work every day and it is the best thing for field dressing rabbits I reckon.

The middle one is slightly bigger and better in most regards, but the one on the right is my absolute favourite. Can be used for pretty much everything and has a great quality feel. They all strop up to a mirror finish and I take a lot of pride in the edges I can put on them.

Besides the folders, I normally have a small pocket torch handy in the door if not in my pocket.

20210226_184339.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (27th February 2021), MB (27th February 2021), NissanGQ4.2 (26th February 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I got caught carry those in my pockets, it would be a do not pass go, straight 2 jail kinda day

Nice btw
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (27th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Same here, in the Nanny State.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (27th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Leatherman OHT with custom Southern Leather Solutions ( @oncedisturbed ) pouch kindly made for me years ago rarely leaves my side:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (27th February 2021), Hardyards (5th March 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always carry a leatherman wave with me, when travelling, so handy.
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to paulyg For This Useful Post:

MB (27th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    76428016-D7D6-4937-8B38-06F11D3A88E2.jpeg76428016-D7D6-4937-8B38-06F11D3A88E2.jpeg
    Lots to choose from, but these are my favourites. The leatherman multi tool been with me for many years, many countries, great bit kit. Next is the Havalon ‘Jim Shockey’ series hunting knife. Awesome for skinning and portioning, replaceable scalpel blades means it can always be sharp quickly, no matter how much I abuse it. The ESEE 5 is a good survival knife, very solid and good at everything but not awesome at any one thing. If you only want one knife for everything..... but you pay for the quality. The Morakniv bushcraft is another excellent knife, smaller and thinner then the ESEE, but once your experienced at battening/ debarking and splitting wood it can do everything at less weight. Still pricey but well worth it.
    For an all round, tough and inexpensive tool, by far the best is a good quality machete! I cut mine down for jungle use, it can do everything a survival knife can plus more. This one is over 20 years old, and been through some awesome use, working wood and dispatching game. Easily my go to and favourite take everywhere first pick.
    Cheers
    2006 GUIV DX 4.2 TDI Ute, Bullbar with Warn winch, Narva round spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, 2 x Narva spotties an 80W solor panel on roof, Custom tray, 3" Redback exhaust, Bluemax 2 - EGT/Boost Oil press/Temp and dual volt gauges, Lifted, front locked and fully loaded......
    If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hardyards For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (6th March 2021), MB (5th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome Adventures HY Mate!
    Crikey that Machete has done some serious work and could tell some wicked experiences too I can only imagine Brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Hardyards (6th March 2021)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Hardyards - Nice collection of handy and usable blades there.

I'm yet to really sort out a machete. I carry a short 'bush knife in the back of the truck which has seen a lot of use over the years and I've always had it in mind to find something better. It's about the same length, maybe a fraction longer, but doubt it would have the blade weight of yours. Mine gets sharpened with the same hand file that the axe does, so pretty rough, but effective.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Hardyards (6th March 2021), MB (6th March 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey MB, yes, it could tell some stories, but it’s trained not to - even under stress 😉
    FNQGU As long as you get a blade with good quality steel, with the tang extended through the handle it will be fine. I made the hardwood handle and replaced the rivets with locknuts so it wouldn’t fail under extreme conditions. 8670CA99-1CB5-443C-8084-111226C4828A.jpeg
    I keep the heavy blades at 30 deg and maintain a Scandinavian (scandi / zero) grind with a stone out bush, and use a Lansky sharpener system to freshen them up at home.
    2006 GUIV DX 4.2 TDI Ute, Bullbar with Warn winch, Narva round spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, 2 x Narva spotties an 80W solor panel on roof, Custom tray, 3" Redback exhaust, Bluemax 2 - EGT/Boost Oil press/Temp and dual volt gauges, Lifted, front locked and fully loaded......
    If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hardyards For This Useful Post:

MB (7th March 2021)