User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GU 42TDi 12mm pump upgrade

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a day and a half I got the clutch in and sorted. Not a job I'd be keen to do again in a hurry! The box fought me the whole way..

Finally been able to get in and have a good drive and it's a totally different truck.. should have spent the money years ago.

Couple bits and pieces left to do, get the boost right, some new gauges, decide on an air box.. final tune and then her maiden trip back up to Coober for a flying visit.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I got some Autotechnica gauges delivered today and I think I was expecting a bit better quality for the price. I wasn't expecting VDO but maybe at least a glass face and metal pods?

They're comparable to the cheapies I have in it that I got for 60something dollars for the pair. Anyway, they're what I've got now.

Old
    20190221_190044.jpg

Vs new
    20190221_181120.jpg
    Last edited by 0-TJ-0; 21st February 2019 at 08:01 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

AB (21st February 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone following my comments on other threads will know I've been chasing a squeal noise coming from near the turbo. My symptoms were a loss of boost and the squeal coming from near the turbo that would disappear when the exhaust temp got to about 350deg.

This all seemed consistent with an exhaust leak to which I found a decent one where the turbo bolts up to the manifold. Spent last week fixing that, put it all back together and it was fixed!.. or apparently not. After a bit of a drive around the noise started to come back until it's as bad as it used to be.

So exhaust leaks are fixed.. It's either the intercooler/piping or the brand new turbo is broke. I had already checked every joint in the piping but not at pressure.

Went to bunnings and made up a quick bung for the intake side of the turbo and fed it a bit of air.

20190522_114902.jpg

Cracked the tap until the air started to flow and bingo.. couple of squeals pipe up around ic pipe joins near the turbo.

Test and adjust some clamps and that should finally solve my problem in the short term. Long term looking at getting some sections made from stainless with fewer silicon joins to worry about.

Happy man. Been chasing this noise for ages.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (22nd May 2019), Rossco (22nd May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-TJ-0 View Post
    Got a few bits and bobs in the mail today..

Attachment 77787

And managed to find 5 minutes to get the turbo bolted up..

Attachment 77788

Getting pretty excited to get it all together now. On a side note I have a slightly used denco/borgwarner turbo kit up for grabs if anyone was interested? Not as nice as the new unit but still feels solid and would be a nice cheap upgrade for someone.

Attachment 77789
    Looking good. what did you do with your Denco? @AB is this a turbo that would work on your Ute?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Looking good. what did you do with your Denco? @AB is this a turbo that would work on your Ute?
    It would have for sure. Had a chat with AB a little while back and it ended up not being what he was after? It's gone now anyhow sorry mate!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (22nd May 2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123