Thread: Weeping transfer case

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weeping transfer case

Hi all,

I was under the Patrol yesterday sorting out an exhaust rattle after a trip away, and noticed this weep from the bottom of the transfer case where it bolts to the transmission on my 2016 GU. After a search through some exisiting threads, I removed the bolt and applied some sealant and torqued it back up. Looked under it again today after a couple of hundred kilometre drive and it's still weeping. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the tell tale slots near the bottom bolt.

The question is, how concerned should I be about this? Is it something that needs immediate attention? I am concerned it will either be a leak from the trans output shaft or from the transfer case input shaft? I did notice the transfer breather hose underneath was also disconnected, so I blew through it in both directions to make sure it wasn't blocked before reconnecting it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

MB (25th April 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor techy advice here from me sorry Steve mate.
    Mind me, I do have a dirt driveway and can’t truly gauge litres per minute from ours.
    Personally wouldn’t stress too hard, although could be very serious to come below mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

stevemc181 (25th April 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Poor techy advice here from me sorry Steve mate.
    Mind me, I do have a dirt driveway and can’t truly gauge litres per minute from ours.
    Personally wouldn’t stress too hard, although could be very serious to come below mate!

I haven't noticed any drips on the concrete yet, so it's not too bad. I'll be giving the trans and transfer case a fluid change next week, so will just keep an eye on it. I'm suspecting the breather line that I found disconnected may have had a slight blockage and perhaps pressurised a seal, forcing some fluid into the gap between the trans/transfer. When I do the fluid change I'll throw some air down the breather and double check it's fully unblocked when I've got the drain plug undone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

MB (25th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds fair Steve mate, I’ve just dumped this morning too some 1.5L of 68 $$ fluid through the crane tank found split through unknown nuffy pressure damn it :-(
    Off to the Palfinger Forum me now

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

stevemc181 (25th April 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I got the same problem in my 2009 CRD.
    Did you findout the reason or the soluzione?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
    I haven't noticed any drips on the concrete yet, so it's not too bad. I'll be giving the trans and transfer case a fluid change next week, so will just keep an eye on it. I'm suspecting the breather line that I found disconnected may have had a slight blockage and perhaps pressurised a seal, forcing some fluid into the gap between the trans/transfer. When I do the fluid change I'll throw some air down the breather and double check it's fully unblocked when I've got the drain plug undone.
    Hello Steve! I got the same problem... did you fine the solutio? Thank you in advance!IMG_3940.JPG

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarra View Post
    Hello Steve! I got the same problem... did you fine the solutio? Thank you in advance
    G'day Scarra,

The only thing I did was to blow through the breather line and ensure it was unblocked, I just got under for another look and there is no weep visible, so perhas this did the trick?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank Steve...I suspect in my case is a bit more tricky...
    The first time I noticed the oil was one years ago in 2018 after a 5000km 4wd trip in Morocco (losts of grave land stand dunes).
    Once back HOME, I cleaned up everything and kept an eye on it for the whole year (not more than 500km of daily driving in 2wd).... But not even one drop of oil below the transfer case.

Than this Summer another 4000km offroad trip in Greece... very hot, very heavy car...
    Once back HOME , here we are , with a big oil spot below the transfer case and in my belli plate.

In these days , I'm trying to understand from other users on the WEB if this beaviour of the CAR and OIL is typical when I drive with heavy loaded Car in 4wd etc etc, because I suspect no oil would spill from below is I drive in very quiete and normal 2wd condition.

As far as I can seen , only me, you and another user named Cuppa had the same OIL experience...
    Did you findout any other case to investigate?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW Scarra, mine has been noticed in similar conditions to you. ie. hot, heavy, long distance 4WD in low range in dust, sand,gravel, rocks & hills. Oil level has not. Oil level has not noticeably dropped however.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx... as far as oil level do not drop, we are fine.
    My only concern is if a oil seal would suddenly break seriously and the spill become relevant.
    In that case The only solution I would immmagine would be to fill the hole with hot/oil resistant sealant in order to block the spill and get home safely.
    Cross fingers 😬