Thread: School me on DC/DC chargers and systems

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run the double units, the 250a and the smart pass. They work well, lot of money though for what they do. They are mounted in the vehicle on the rear cargo barrier. I have had a smart pass fail after 5 yrs though, unsure what the expected life is though.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dads tractor View Post
    Hodge I see you dont run a smartpass I thought they ran as a pair what am I missing.
    Smartpass is optional. It just ups the amps and adds a few other functions .
    The 250 on its own is just a standalone DC to DC charger.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies fella's so if I went with just the D250sa into 2 x Aux batteries of say 100 a/hr backed up with a 250 w solar blanket a la kings will it cover me . 2x40lt engels one as freezer one ice cold for beer and 2 camp lights that draw 4a/hr.

All suggestions considered.
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dads tractor View Post
    Thanks for the replies fella's so if I went with just the D250sa into 2 x Aux batteries of say 100 a/hr backed up with a 250 w solar blanket a la kings will it cover me . 2x40lt engels one as freezer one ice cold for beer and 2 camp lights that draw 4a/hr.

All suggestions considered.
    D250sa is only 20A on paper.

If you can , id be adding the smartpass , since youve got 2 X. 100 ampers there.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently changed from a Redarc BCDC-1225-LV to an Enerdrive END3DC40+ unit for my Lifepo4 battery. It's like chalk and cheese now, can pump 50 amps into the battery no problem. User programmable charge settings. The Redarc was never designed for my Lifepo4, but it's been doing the job for 5 years until I decided a few weeks ago to get the enerdrive unit, it is so much faster to charge the battery now, I'm a happy camper so far.
    A 20 amp charger on it's own will take forever to charge 2 x 100a/h batteries.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed the 250SE into a 97 GQ , so no smart alternator. The sensor (red) according to my interpretation of the fitting instructions you leave disconnected? So how does the unit isolate from the starter battery when ignition is off?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Patricapatrol For This Useful Post:

Hodge (17th February 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricapatrol View Post
    I just installed the 250SE into a 97 GQ , so no smart alternator. The sensor (red) according to my interpretation of the fitting instructions you leave disconnected? So how does the unit isolate from the starter battery when ignition is off?
    Similar to a simple battery isolater it will detect the voltage of the main battery /alternator. It will connect and charge at and above 13.1v and disconnect at and below 12.8v.

The wire for the smart alternator forces the unit to start charging at a lower detected voltage. 11.8v I think the instructions say. So in reality that means it will start charging as soon as power is applied to that red wire.
    Last edited by 0-TJ-0; 17th February 2020 at 09:22 AM.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (17th February 2020)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So leave red wire disconnected as unit detects starter battery voltage. It is smart. So if I connected to to an Ignition wire it would charge at a lower voltage so I can trick it.
    I understand the black wire if connected to earth for AGM battery (solar charge14.7v) and to 12v + if a lithium
    Thanks for that , appreciate it 😁

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ctek by itself is a great unit, I used a D250S for many years mated to a 100w solar panel. With engine running it would provide a 20amp 5-stage charge to the deep cycle. Without engine running the unit serves as a 3-stage mppt solar charger to the deep cycle and a float charger to the cranking battery. You don't need smartpass, that's just extra complication in my opinion. D250SA is required for smart alternators. While my vehicle was parked in my garage while I was away for work I'd connect an 1.5amp 18v dc power supply to the solar panel input so both batteries were always fully charged.

Personally if I was to buy again I would get a newer 25amp redarc unit as they are compatible with old & new alternators and all types of batteries including Lithium.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricapatrol View Post
    So if I connected to to an Ignition wire it would charge at a lower voltage so I can trick it.
    I believe it would still have a voltage cut off... Regardless of what the ignition wire is doing.... I'd have to have a look in the manual to confirm.

Love my Ctek. When it has solar running and the Aux gets to a certain level it trickle charges (backfeeds) the main battery too. At times i've had both batteries more charged at while packing up camp, than it was when I got there.
    I have the Smartpass unit sitting in it's box. Don't think I really need it yet as my Aux is only 110AH, the 250sa does the job flawlessly on it's own. It does have other features, but like someone mentioned here, it only adds more wiring and space taken.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 TD42TI

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (17th February 2020)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast