Thread: Digital radio

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Digital radio

I know a few are running double din Eonon head units, I have one too and very happy
    It has lasted a lot longer than the higher priced one I had before.
    Now you can get android head units to interact with your phone.
    But is anyone running a true digital radio?
    If not tell us about your set up.
    All Ive done is replace the OE speakers in the doors to 400watt 4 ways [6.5"]
    and then some tweets in the front, Needs an amp to help the tunes I reckon lol

would a sound bar attached to the cargo barrier work you think ????? lol
    Last edited by threedogs; 17th September 2016 at 06:29 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi 3dogs

i have recently upgraded from a digioptions unit & factory speakers in both front & rear doors. This is in a 2005 GU IV TD42Ti.

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX9016DAB http://www.ryda.com.au/kenwood-ddx-9...timedia-player
    Speakers Front = http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p16-s tweeter is mounted in door skin between door handle & air vent
    Speakers Rear = http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p16
    AMP = http://www.focal.com/en/amplifiers-b...ulse-4320.html mounted up behind glovebox
    Dynamat in all 4 doors

Its not what you would call a high end amp but so far it does the job for me.

I cant really go past 15 - 20% on volume, too bloody loud.

DAB - you get an aerial with this unit that i have stuck to the top left hand corner of windscreen & hardly noticable. Clarity of DAB broadcasts is very good, however check your area as it drops off very quickly on outer edges of cities ( im in Perth) Didnt realise that there were so many DAB channels but HU picked them up easily. Also can use standard analogue radio FM & AM chaneels.

Having gu iv 1 of my gripes was that the screen of the digioptions (mounted in centre console) was hard to see from drivers seat.

Kenwood screen can tilt, when car is turned off it folds back up to flat position but when car is started it tilts to desired setting, there are about 6 of them i think. Much easier to see.

This unit doesnt come with navigation, but i wasnt concerned about that as i use my ipad mini mounted with a ram mount in sunglass holder above stereo. However when looking through manaul you could add the Garmin optional unit at a later date

can have 2 phones hooked up to the unit via blue tooth at the same time, android or iphone. Havent tested 2 at once only ipad (music) & iphone 6s at the same time no dramas. Unit handfree operation is a lot better than the old digioptions unit & apparently sounds a hell of a lot better for people on receiving end of phones calls. My old man reckoned the digioptions unti sounded like is was in the tiolet or something, so never used it.

I have not messed with audio settings apart from a few basic ones. I like the fact thats its really easy to set the listning position depending on who is in the car. When im by myself i set it to Front right, with the missus front all, the whole family i set it to all. Makes a lot of difference to me.

in the future i may consider a sub, but so far i am happy

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barrakooda For This Useful Post:

oncedisturbed (18th September 2016), threedogs (18th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Barrakooda do you think a sound bar mounted to the cargo barrier would work.
    Im still to fit my rear Cargo shelf which Ill mount my 15" flip down screen.
    Not that cluey with all that but have a few mates that fit stereos at JB HiFi
    that will ease my pain a bit
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    threedogs, i would tend to think not, as it will probably mess with the sound stage you have with your other speakers. For me the sound coming from back there would give me the sh*ts (possibly even fatguing as you brain is trying to cope with that input) , but thats just me.

I prefer the music to be coming from in front of me when in the car. My head unit has a sound stage setting which was off by default, sounded like the music was coming from around knee level, with it set to high it now sounds like it is coming from dash level. Im sure more tweaking could be done to improve it.

Most new units these days wont be able to include that sound bar in its sound stage setting i would hazard a guess (could be wrong). Its generally

front right
    front left
    rear right
    rear left
    subwoofer

If anything you may want to get a sub & put it back there. Maybe a 6-8 bazooka or one in a box that can be removed if necessary (im thinking along these lines as i dont have drawers yet & still using the 2 extra seats in the cargo area for some trips. Doesnt have to be mounted to cargo barrier.

I think all you need is probably a decent amp, head unit & possibly a sub. Should be more than enough.

Not knocking it mate, might well be worth giving it a crack & see how it sounds, never tried it. Just watch the ohm rating etc if it is a hifi soundbar, might be different to car audio.

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding an amp to power the fronts and doors will help then a sub of some kind, even a small one. You can at least tune the system a lot more with the amp installed with the high pass and low pass filters.
    As Barrakooda said a sound bar will probably mess up the staging.
    A small sub 8" or maybe a 10" would definitely give it some punch too. Possibly an active one which will mean it will have its own amp built into the box.
    I have looked at the kicker underseat sub and the focal. Both a bit pricey but sound bigger than they are.
    Alpine i think also do some shallow mounts that could be an option as well

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    2002 GUIII Ti 4.8
    Details here