OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: GPS / simcard tracking for stolen vehicles; anygood?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GPS / simcard tracking for stolen vehicles; anygood?

Hi

Has anyone looked into a simple cheap way to track a vehicle such as in the case of it being stolen?
    There's a few different types from sim card based through to dedicated GPS units.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A few years back I had a cheap eBay sim card jobbie in my Patrol. Worked well and was easy to us, I just kept forgetting to recharge the sim card. Lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple of the cheap Eelink TK319L units. 1 in the Patrol and the other in my wife's car. I use the $5 Aldi sims with the 365 days expiry.
    I have geo-fences set for both. You can send it a message to activate something. It just connects a wire to earth so anything could be activated via a relay such as a fuel cutoff but it won't work above 20 km/h.
    You can query where it is with a phone/tablet app or send a SMS and get GPS coordinates in reply. You can also use the app to query where it went on any given date and it replays the route that was taken.
    It has a small built in battery that sends a message if main power to it is cut.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    I have a couple of the cheap Eelink TK319L units. 1 in the Patrol and the other in my wife's car. I use the $5 Aldi sims with the 365 days expiry.
    I have geo-fences set for both. You can send it a message to activate something. It just connects a wire to earth so anything could be activated via a relay such as a fuel cutoff but it won't work above 20 km/h.
    You can query where it is with a phone/tablet app or send a SMS and get GPS coordinates in reply. You can also use the app to query where it went on any given date and it replays the route that was taken.
    It has a small built in battery that sends a message if main power to it is cut.
    How much are you paying for the SIM (data, SMS etc) apart from the $5 one off cost?

I like the idea of being able to query it's location.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy_sa View Post
    How much are you paying for the SIM (data, SMS etc) apart from the $5 one off cost?

I like the idea of being able to query it's location.
    SMS messages are 12c each but I don't use SMS at all. My original outlay for the sim was $20 i.e. $5 Aldi purchase + $15 top up for the 365 days expiry.
    I've just checked one of the accounts on my phone and it shows 116 days left and still $18 credit balance from original $20 outlay. I did a few testing SMS initially so that used a couple of dollars.

IMO the cost is nothing compared to the advantage of being able to know if your vehicle moved and being able to see where it actually is and where it's going.
    John

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you buy them locally? I'm seeing mainly AliExpress listings?

Maybe my search terms are poor but I assumed this would be a popular exercise and use of old mobile phones but I haven't found a suitable app as yet.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought both from eBay. They were around $90 at the time. I see they’re up around $115 now, still cheap..
    John

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    Thanks I must look them up my spot trace now costs $300 a year which is getting exxy.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got one of these LiveTrek guardian GPS trackers. https://trackall.com.au/collections/...etrek-guardian
    It uses an ALDI Sim with $5 credit that lasts 365 days. It has almost reached the 365 day mark and still has $4.30 credit on it.
    It has a built in battery that lasts 2 weeks and I've got it connected to charge when the vehicle is running.
    Tracking is done via an app called iCar.

It's ok. Location accuracy is reasonable, not amazing. It has geofence alarms and location history.

Certainly better than nothing and offers some piece of mind.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (6th October 2020)