OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Current Situation. The great unknown.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Current Situation. The great unknown.

Gday guys.

This is my old boys GQ. I inherited it off him after his passing late July.

From the outside it looks alright and to drive it feels alright, suspension maybe not that flash.

Having a look underneath has me a bit worried as it looks like a fair bit of rust going on and there is a particular spot under the drivers seat that looks eaten through (see pic)

The intention is long term fixer upper and I've signed up to the forum to get advice from you guys on which way to go about particular things, and general hints and tips from those that have been there/done that.

I've taken a few pics of it as is today to share and to refer back to as the starting point. I'm hoping all the rust underneath isn't going to make too hard.

What I know: 92 GQ LWB Wagon, tb42e, pacemaker extractors, Tough dog 2" lift.

Yet to get it in a mechanics for a once over.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dads GQ For This Useful Post:

AB (21st September 2018), GQtdauto (21st September 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the best way to get a Nissan mate sorry for your loss .

As for the GQ it is a bit rusty yeah I see what you mean , maybe a cut and tuck then put a bit of deadner on it .

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate and welcome. Sorry for your loss.

That floor pan will need to be cut out and a new one welded in. Go to your local wrexker with N 18v gr8nder and go your hardest. Or look around on facebook for someone getting rid of a shell. Then cut out the bits you need.

Good luck mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Dads GQ (23rd September 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. Absolutely be replacing the floor pan. No biggy if you can weld or have a mate that can. In my opinion, and GQ is worth fixing up. Good bus, you cant go wrong with it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the godfather For This Useful Post:

Dads GQ (23rd September 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the godfather View Post
    Welcome. Absolutely be replacing the floor pan. No biggy if you can weld or have a mate that can. In my opinion, and GQ is worth fixing up. Good bus, you cant go wrong with it.
    Got a few boily/pipewelder mates who reckon they could help out. One suggested buying a gasless mig and teaching myself. I would feel a greater level of satisfaction doing stuff like this myself, so would like to have a crack.

I assume I'd have to remove the interior before undertaking any cutting and welding.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, personally I would gut it completely. Remove anything that can and will burn. Carpet, wiring etc. Make sure you don't have any fuel or brake lines directly near it.
    If it is gutted completely you can put on a thick layer of anti rust and some more sound proofing. May as well do that while it is empty. But it depends how far you want to go.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the godfather For This Useful Post:

Dads GQ (24th September 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with our Godfather too mate! If nearby your house (kitchen window) keep all closed also as some decent amounts of glues are used in trucks body production too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Dads GQ (25th September 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I found that gasless MIGs are very hard to get the wire feed speed and amperage settings to be consistently correct. I ended up selling the MIG and buying a TIG which is a great tool for welding thin metal. I used it to repair rust in a Corolla. It can also be used as a stick welder.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Dads GQ (25th September 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the godfather View Post
    Yes, personally I would gut it completely. Remove anything that can and will burn. Carpet, wiring etc. Make sure you don't have any fuel or brake lines directly near it.
    If it is gutted completely you can put on a thick layer of anti rust and some more sound proofing. May as well do that while it is empty. But it depends how far you want to go.
    Great advice. Cheers mate.
    Been thinking about this, safe to assume it is a fairly big job to strip? Mate at work (who is conveniently a boily and a mechanic) mentioned taking the whole shell off. For someone like myself with minimal mechanical knowledge the whole thing is daunting.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dads GQ View Post
    Great advice. Cheers mate.
    Been thinking about this, safe to assume it is a fairly big job to strip? Mate at work (who is conveniently a boily and a mechanic) mentioned taking the whole shell off. For someone like myself with minimal mechanical knowledge the whole thing is daunting.

Mmm, it depends on your level of commitment. To me a GQ is worth the effort and time. But that is up to you. Lifting the entire shell is a huge commitment to the task. From the pics you posted it didn't look bad enough for me to rip it apart. I personally would gut it (easy to do), fix the floor pan, anti rust and seal everything, add some sound proofing for my own comfort on long trips, a bit of paint,reassemble, and hit the dirt. I much prefer the driving bit than the fixing bit.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the godfather For This Useful Post:

Dads GQ (27th September 2018), Rossco (26th September 2018)