Thread: All Things Chev

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it was mixed coolant, not ruled out, but it would have had to have been mixed at Brunswick, which at the time I thought unlikely. I dropped coolant and changed it (high pressure flushing the block) after finding this when I pulled the thermostats at just over the two year mark. There was no sign of any other corrosion anywhere else but the coolant was dirty.

Just ran a wire from one of the thermostat bolts to the negative battery terminal as a precaution after being advised by Gryphon Engineering that they believed it was stray current related. A year later it was still nice and clean.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (9th December 2016), rainsey (13th December 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All BD ChevPatrol owners - if you have the aux battery relocated under the truck - check the battery box for water drain hole(s) mine wasn't drained. Also air filter box wasn't sealed (Greg said he had not been aware of this occurring?) good thing I noticed this before going through any deep water. Old Telegraph Track in June 16 - Swampy Creek crossing up to door handles!! fortunately only a short crossing - carpet got slightly wet - found the lower rubber boot for the 4WD transfer lever was torn (BD dropped out the gear box to upgrade 5th gear) although it could have been torn by a sharp stick from underneath, maybe. Small things, but too many small things - water in the air box would have killed the engine - the snorkel would not have helped!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterc99 View Post
    Hi All BD ChevPatrol owners - if you have the aux battery relocated under the truck - check the battery box for water drain hole(s) mine wasn't drained. Also air filter box wasn't sealed (Greg said he had not been aware of this occurring?) good thing I noticed this before going through any deep water. Old Telegraph Track in June 16 - Swampy Creek crossing up to door handles!! fortunately only a short crossing - carpet got slightly wet - found the lower rubber boot for the 4WD transfer lever was torn (BD dropped out the gear box to upgrade 5th gear) although it could have been torn by a sharp stick from underneath, maybe. Small things, but too many small things - water in the air box would have killed the engine - the snorkel would not have helped!
    I had a new gearbox fitted, complete with torn and perished rubber boots on the linkages to the transfer case - how was this missed? No answer.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    Peter, back at square 1, replacement relay also started the same intermittent tricks, so swapped out a third, this time an 80amp unit just to confirm it wasn't a contact issue, and the starter is still reacting the same way, so its the starter motor for sure. I am waiting from one being sent from WA - on TOLL, supposed to arrive friday but didn't. Anyway, I am glad I totally excluded the relay. BD are also sending across a replacement sump kit later this week. Can't fault the service to be frank and they are standing up and taking responsibility for the issues without any pushback.
    New starter installed, took 40 mins this time! All good, even sounds different to the previous one. Best thing I like is the absolute instant start, no cranking and groaning like the 2.8 used to do.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, maybe you are not running coils???? Anyway I have the vehicle booked in on Dec 11 with Dobinsons to sort out the right front coils and try to resolve the bump stop issue. I was looking at bump stops on ebay but think I may need to go down the track of adjustable hydraulic or the sorts - any input appreciated. Has anyone had issues similar to mine of thumping the sump against the diff housing?
    Spent 3 hours at Dobinson's Springs in dandenong today, having coils swapped around. Guys were great, tried 3 sets before settling on 100kg variable rate coils with 75mm nominal lift height, however this ended up being 50mm when the weight came on. Wire diameter is 19.5mm, and free height of 460mm, which was greatly different to those fitted by BD. Their coils were 40kg, 16mm wire diameter and free height of 400mm.

Ride is firmer and less wallowing on the road. Vehicle attitude was sitting 5mm down at rear, however didn't have the new triple bag Boss airbags installed at that point in rear.

Drove home, installed the new bags in about 3 hrs, and now the vehicle is sitting pretty. Currently is unloaded so hope this combo works out.

Also swapped out bump stops for longer units with spacers. Bump stops won't guarantee the sump crash issue I had, however I m working on modifying the front diff guard to reduce the profile above the height of the diff housing, and will sort out an absolute solid bump stop to make sure the sump does not get punctured.

Interestingly the super heavy coils originally was about to buy 2 weeks ago never got a look in - suspect they may have been too hard and tall for whoever bought them on their gu ute, just guessing.

So, will update as final combo evolves and will post photos. I can dig out the model number if anyone wants it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

rainsey (13th December 2016), Ropes (13th December 2016)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heavy Duty Trailing Arm bushes on GQ

Guys, I had a set of change over arms swapped out by Pedder about 12 months ago. the vehicle has done about 1000klm since the swap. I noticed yesterday the rubber bushes are starting to tear, probably due to the extra weight of the Chev. Has anyone changed their out for an alternate material to the standard black rubber bush, and where do I go to get this sorted in Melb SE? thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heavy Duty Trailing Arm bushes on GQ

Guys, I had a set of change over arms swapped out by Pedder about 12 months ago. the vehicle has done about 1000klm since the swap. I noticed yesterday the rubber bushes are starting to tear, probably due to the extra weight of the Chev. Has anyone changed their out for an alternate material to the standard black rubber bush, and where do I go to get this sorted in Melb SE? thanks
    I'm not sure what you mean by change over arms?

Cheers
    Craig
    23" STEDI Light Bar, ARB Twin High Flow Compressors, Full Length Alloy Roof Rack, Black Widow Jack and Shovel Holder, ABR-Sidewinder Dual Battery System, Small Barn Door Extension Bracket, Icom 400 Pro UHF, Safari Snorkel, Boost Gauge, EGT Gauge, Rear Cargo Barrier, Outback Rear Drawers, 33" Hancook MT’s, Dawes valve and Manual Boost controller, EGR block, 2” Lift, TJM Winch Bar, CampTrax 270º Awning, 12,000lb Winch, ARB 60ltr Fridge, ARB Front Air Locker, ARB Rear Bar/Dual Wheel Carrier, Rear Coil Tower Braces
    A work in progress

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by change over arms?

Cheers
    Craig
    Pedders simply exchange the trailing arms with alternate like for like arms with new bushes already installed, so you don't have to wait for them to press the old bushes out and replace with new ones - they are simply 'exchange trailing or leading arms to the front diff. Just been down to see them and for a set of urethane bushes, they want $416 installed, drive in/drive out. After spending this 12 months ago, bit gun shy on the number at the moment.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pedders simply exchange the trailing arms with alternate like for like arms with new bushes already installed, so you don't have to wait for them to press the old bushes out and replace with new ones - they are simply 'exchange trailing or leading arms to the front diff. Just been down to see them and for a set of urethane bushes, they want $416 installed, drive in/drive out. After spending this 12 months ago, bit gun shy on the number at the moment.
    Personally I'd be asking why they only lasted 12 months, 1000 km's is nothing.

The first set I changed out on my GU had done over 220,000 kms and weren't chewed out, they were just getting brittle and they were the original rubber ones.

You'll find the urethane bushes "noisey" due to being more rigid.

The weight of the Chev up front won't bother the trailing arms in the rear very much but the torque of the Chev might with the extra strain put on the twisting of the rear diff.

Likewise the weight of the Chev shouldn't bother the radius arm bushes but then I don't know what caused my 2nd set (see below) to go out like this either because I still have the ZD30. All I could say was misalignment because they were the 2 degree caster correction ones.

Did you install the new trailing arms or did pedders? because from memory, they can be put in the wrong way..

Cheers
    Craig
    23" STEDI Light Bar, ARB Twin High Flow Compressors, Full Length Alloy Roof Rack, Black Widow Jack and Shovel Holder, ABR-Sidewinder Dual Battery System, Small Barn Door Extension Bracket, Icom 400 Pro UHF, Safari Snorkel, Boost Gauge, EGT Gauge, Rear Cargo Barrier, Outback Rear Drawers, 33" Hancook MT’s, Dawes valve and Manual Boost controller, EGR block, 2” Lift, TJM Winch Bar, CampTrax 270º Awning, 12,000lb Winch, ARB 60ltr Fridge, ARB Front Air Locker, ARB Rear Bar/Dual Wheel Carrier, Rear Coil Tower Braces
    A work in progress

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ropes For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (13th December 2016)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
    Personally I'd be asking why they only lasted 12 months, 1000 km's is nothing.

The first set I changed out on my GU had done over 220,000 kms and weren't chewed out, they were just getting brittle and they were the original rubber ones.

You'll find the urethane bushes "noisey" due to being more rigid.

The weight of the Chev up front won't bother the trailing arms in the rear very much but the torque of the Chev might with the extra strain put on the twisting of the rear diff.

Likewise the weight of the Chev shouldn't bother the radius arm bushes but then I don't know what caused my 2nd set (see below) to go out like this either because I still have the ZD30. All I could say was misalignment because they were the 2 degree caster correction ones.

Did you install the new trailing arms or did pedders? because from memory, they can be put in the wrong way..

Cheers
    Craig
    Thanks Craig, Pedders did the installation. I am at a loss as to them failing. Pedders won't warrant them, full stop - say the chev is too heavy for the standard bush. I won't be taking it back to them, now just looking for a suitable bush with a guaranteed result. This barge has a really easy life, so whatever goes in should last forever.

Page 45 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast