User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed on which TD42 for conversion

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished doing this same conversion but in a GU, There is no need to chop up the engine mount bracket, just change the bracket on the engine side instead of the chassis mount then no eng cert required. Swap over your oil pressure sensor and speedo sensor out of your rd28 box into the td42 box this will keep your speedo correct without changing clusters. I'd go for the silvertop there a tuff donk and then upgrade to a dc3 or dc6 pump depending on your desires. Then all you have to do is chop up all your wiring and reloom it all so everything works like factory.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Killa Kustom looms may have a plug and play loom ready for this type of conversion???
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok the wreckers got back to me today. This was their reply

"GU TD42 conversion , from RD28

$9500 complete

Engine complete with turbo 190.000km and all accessories ( starter alternator ac pump ps pump etc )

Gear box cross member

Tail shaft front and rear

Clutch booster and master , with lines

Wiring Harness

Engine mounts and brackets off chassis to be wielded onto the vehicle ( if required )
    Air cleaner assy with air induction

Please send me any questions you have regarding the conversion

If you after a GQ engine we can help with a GQ silver top TD42 engine 240.000km, with a DTS turbo kit $4800

Again with all the accessories as mentioned above".

I spoke with a guy that's been in the turbo business for 30 odd years this morning an he recommended going with the GU motor. I'm going to go with one of these so I just need to make my mind up quickly.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,655 Times in 3,122 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure the gu engine is only a td42 T with a non NATS pump and non ecu reliant..
    If it's the ecu controlled pump then it's a whole new level of wiring and ecu change.
    Not sure if boost compensation is mechanical or ecu controlled either so best check that out.

From memory the 2.8 ran 4.6 diffs so if your throwing the td42 box in you may need to hunt for 4.3 diffs or 4.1 like factory. Unless your going to run 35's full time..
    Also I think the 2.8 pinion flange is a bit smaller than the 4.2..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Make sure the gu engine is only a td42 T with a non NATS pump and non ecu reliant..
    If it's the ecu controlled pump then it's a whole new level of wiring and ecu change.
    Not sure if boost compensation is mechanical or ecu controlled either so best check that out.

From memory the 2.8 ran 4.6 diffs so if your throwing the td42 box in you may need to hunt for 4.3 diffs or 4.1 like factory. Unless your going to run 35's full time..
    Also I think the 2.8 pinion flange is a bit smaller than the 4.2..

Thanks for the reply. I just spoke to the guy who is going to do the conversion and he mentioned not to get the electronic pump if I go the GU route. The guy doing the job thinks the GQ silvertop would be the go at that price.

Do you have an opinion on what the better way to go would be motor wise?
    Last edited by Chiro; 24th August 2016 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What exactly do you want?? thats the real question, if you want a good ol 4.2 with 100-150hp then go the silvertop for the price + a dc3 pump. If you want 150+ then the factory turbo hands down but you will need a new turbo and pump.
    Are you looking to do the conversion yourself or paying someone to do it? Just wondering as it only cost me $5300 for my whole conversion including the motor to do it myself. Diffidently +1 on swapping to the 4.1 diffs ive just down that. 4.66 are fun but for highway cruising way to high in the rev range.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiro View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I just spoke to the guy who is going to do the conversion and he mentioned not to get the electronic pump if I go the GU route. The guy doing the job thinks the GQ silvertop would be the go at that price.

Do you have an opinion on what the better way to go would be motor wise?
    Quote Originally Posted by johno90 View Post
    What exactly do you want?? thats the real question, if you want a good ol 4.2 with 100-150hp then go the silvertop for the price + a dc3 pump. If you want 150+ then the factory turbo hands down but you will need a new turbo and pump.
    Are you looking to do the conversion yourself or paying someone to do it? Just wondering as it only cost me $5300 for my whole conversion including the motor to do it myself. Diffidently +1 on swapping to the 4.1 diffs ive just down that. 4.66 are fun but for highway cruising way to high in the rev range.
    Totally agree with johno.
    What are you looking for?
    A mild 120-150hp setup go the gq engine for sure..
    And blokes have been running these figures since early 90's..

My old silver top is still going at 527*** (when I sold it 6 months ago). Granted it was NA but they are built strong..

Imo if you want a cheap build go the silver top..
    If your planning big numbers and room to grow go the newer gu td..

But again as johno has said you'll want new turbo anyway..
    A stock gu turbo and 10mm pump will comfortable see 100hp (stock na is about 85hp I think) but it wouldn't be good for much over 120 I would think..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies fellas.

Well I'm not after big power. I just want enough so it doesn't die when it sees a hill like the RD28 did. Needs to reliable too.

I ended up buying the silvertop with the DTS turbo today. After she's in I'll get a good 3 inch exhaust on it and dyno tune. I think I'll be happy with that. The guy doing the conversion also said I'd need a better turbo on the GU motor if I want good power out of it. I'll post a few pics of it all when done.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chiro For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (24th August 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiro View Post
    Thanks for the replies fellas.

Well I'm not after big power. I just want enough so it doesn't die when it sees a hill like the RD28 did. Needs to reliable too.

I ended up buying the silvertop with the DTS turbo today. After she's in I'll get a good 3 inch exhaust on it and dyno tune. I think I'll be happy with that. The guy doing the conversion also said I'd need a better turbo on the GU motor if I want good power out of it. I'll post a few pics of it all when done.
    Yea good move imo..
    The dts setup is a little better than the stock gu I think..
    But even the NA td42 had good down low torque..
    Compared to the zd30.. completely different in high range..
    Low range I don't notice the lag..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12