Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice needed on which TD42 for conversion

Hi all,

I知 after some advice. I have a clean 1997 GQ patrol. The RD28 died so I知 going to put a TD42 into it with a turbo. I知 having trouble deciding on either of the two options below.

1. Buy a low km silver top (I have found two) and then put a garrett turbo on it.

2. Buy a GU TD42T without intercooler and put that into the GQ.

Which is the better way to go? Going by my calculations both are going to be around 10K for the engine and gearbox package. The GQ silvertop is complete car, the GU option just motor and box with a few ancillary things like power steering pump/AC etc. From what I致e read the GU fuel pump is a little larger and the GU pistons maybe a little stronger? The silvertops are relatively strong for a NA motor it seem.

I've only driven a GQTD42 with turbo, never a GU.

Pros and cons of each choice would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Much of a muchness in my opinion. Buy what ever is in the best condition, and the price is important of course. Just remember if you turbo it, it will require an engineers report for the power output if it over 20% from standard. Which I dare say it might be. Not that many turbo'd GQ's are engineered for this. but I thought to put it out there anyway.
    If your not going to chase big hp then either will be fine, If you are, both will still be fine too, condition pending again, the blacktops run a larger gudgeon pin, and some silvertops do aswell, I think. (someone will correct me on that) Different oil pump and oil squirters to for the factory turbo engine. My knowledge is fairly limited on the differences, hopefully someone else will pipe up and and help.
    Last edited by mudski; 23rd August 2016 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,414 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The GU engine will have the bigger fuel pump which can make a lot more power and torque. But if you want to make use of the bigger pump you would need to put a different turbo on it anyway. They are a slightly stronger engine too.

If you get the silver top and turbo it, you will probably end up buying a new fuel pump anyway for 2-3k. The standard GQ pump is very limiting.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Much of a muchness in my opinion. Buy what ever is in the best condition, and the price is important of course. Just remember if you turbo it, it will require an engineers report for the power output if it over 20% from standard. Which I dare say it might be. Not that many turbo'd GQ's are engineered for this. but I thought to put it out there anyway.
    If your not going to chase big hp then either will be fine, If you are, both will still be fine too, condition pending again, the blacktops run a larger gudgeon pin, and some silvertops do aswell, I think. (someone will correct me on that) Different oil pump and oil squirters to for the factory turbo engine. My knowledge is fairly limited on the differences, hopefully someone else will pipe up and and help.
    I have to get an engineers certificate for the engine and gearbox conversion which is $880. I never thought of mentioning the turbo. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    The GU engine will have the bigger fuel pump which can make a lot more power and torque. But if you want to make use of the bigger pump you would need to put a different turbo on it anyway. They are a slightly stronger engine too.

If you get the silver top and turbo it, you will probably end up buying a new fuel pump anyway for 2-3k. The standard GQ pump is very limiting.
    Good info. So what are the turbos on factory GU's good for power and RPM range?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If I was choosing Id probably go for the one that was made to suit a Turbo.
    It may be beefed up in certain areas, compared to the non turbo motor.
    just saying lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiro View Post
    I have to get an engineers certificate for the engine and gearbox conversion which is $880. I never thought of mentioning the turbo. Thanks for the heads up.
    You don't "need" the engies for the engine swap as the GQ came out with a TD42 from factory. State to state may differ. Same when I went from a ZD to TD in my GU. But as your turbo'ing it...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You don't "need" the engies for the engine swap as the GQ came out with a TD42 from factory. State to state may differ. Same when I went from a ZD to TD in my GU. But as your turbo'ing it...
    Yeah I didnt need engineers for td42t onto gu rd28t. Car came with it so all sorted in Vic. The gq with complete car may be a lot cheaper overall as you will also need to sort things like throttle cable, gearbox crossmember and other bits and bobs that you get with a complete donor car. So the Gu engine will probably cost a fair whack more to complete the conversion.
    I would buy the best of either gq/gu that you can afford in your budget. You only want to be doing it once.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sooty_10; 23rd August 2016 at 06:18 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sooty_10 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (24th August 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I thought but I rang the RMS (I'm in NSW) and they said it would need certifying. I rang the engineer and he said he wants to check the new welds on the drivers side engine mount before motor goes in.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chiro For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (24th August 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty_10 View Post
    Yeah I didnt need engineers for td42t onto gu rd28t. Car came with it so all sorted in Vic. The gq with complete car may be a lot cheaper overall as you will also need to sort things like throttle cable, gearbox crossmember and other bits and bobs that you get with a complete donor car. So the Gu engine will probably cost a fair whack more to complete the conversion.
    I would buy the best of either gq/gu that you can afford in your budget. You only want to be doing it once.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
    Yeah I know what you mean about other bits off a donor car. I knew about gearbox crossmember. I didn't know about throttle cable. Doing it right once is a priority hence all of the questions.

Spoke to a guy at Niss4x4 about GU conversion kit. A good thing about this if he said if anything is faulty or doesn't work they'll replace it. This is nice for piece of mind. If I buy an older GQ there's no safety net. Bloody hard choice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go for the donor car

not just because all the parts are there - fuel lines are bigger on the TD42 V's the RD28 - the cross member - the front brakes (maybe) clutch master cylinder (& Vacuum Booster)
    diff ratio's, dash for speedo & such, plus all the little bits and bobs that would be nice to replace if you have the parts there... door trims, seats, sliding back window if its good.....

and you can get the measurements for the engine mount

or unbolt your body, and fit it to the TD42 chassis............. probably quicker in the long run.......
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast