Thread: New to this, zd30 boosting all over the shop

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PC280352.JPG
    this is the first time iv'e tried to upload a photo , hope it works . you can see the grub screw and lock nut and it might give you a starting point on where to set the grub screw

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your intercooler is tigged it is not stock . the end chambers are crimped on on stock units

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (28th December 2019)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,262 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What you are seeing is normal. Its shit, but normal.
    Instead of mucking around with the VNT grub screw and never getting it right, get yourself a manual boost controller (Dawes or Tillix), and a needle valve (does the same thing as adjusting the grub screw but much easier to do) Contact @Avo here. I know he have a Dawes and needle valve he wants to sell off thats never been used.
    In a nutshell, the Dawes will simply limit your boost level, say 18psi. The needle valve allows you to adjust and control how fast the turbo will spool up. Then say good bye to those bouncy boost levels...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Avo (29th December 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    PC280352.JPG
    this is the first time iv'e tried to upload a photo , hope it works . you can see the grub screw and lock nut and it might give you a starting point on where to set the grub screw
    So clean lol thanks a lot mate

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got me buggered why you guys with zd30s don,t convert your vacuum set up which causes all the bullsh-t , blown pistons, cracked heads, limp mode,ect,ect easy to convert to boost using the same bracket on the turbo, i used a boost rising arm accuator from a ford supercharger or MALES in melb have then for $125 they have 2 nipples vac or boost either one raises the arm i cut the adj arm from the old unit, made sure it was 90mm long from the base to the top of the adjuster then carefully welded it to the new accuator arm, threw in a boost controller ,set it to 18lb and guess what i have never had a single problem since, i can blow the doors off a factory td42 turbo with a few mods, my truck is auto and it pulls like a v/8, bottom end is so much stronger , untill i did this mod i was about to sell it, as i had enough of it and months of drama, truck of the road ect ect , now i love it and will keep it until cancer gets it

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,262 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4818adams View Post
    got me buggered why you guys with zd30s don,t convert your vacuum set up which causes all the bullsh-t , blown pistons, cracked heads, limp mode,ect,ect easy to convert to boost using the same bracket on the turbo, i used a boost rising arm accuator from a ford supercharger or MALES in melb have then for $125 they have 2 nipples vac or boost either one raises the arm i cut the adj arm from the old unit, made sure it was 90mm long from the base to the top of the adjuster then carefully welded it to the new accuator arm, threw in a boost controller ,set it to 18lb and guess what i have never had a single problem since, i can blow the doors off a factory td42 turbo with a few mods, my truck is auto and it pulls like a v/8, bottom end is so much stronger , untill i did this mod i was about to sell it, as i had enough of it and months of drama, truck of the road ect ect , now i love it and will keep it until cancer gets it
    A Vacuum controlled turbo on the ZD30 is the cause of cracked heads and blown pistons? Why did I not pick up on this earlier?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (3rd February 2020), pollenface (4th April 2023), rusty_nail (2nd February 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    A Vacuum controlled turbo on the ZD30 is the cause of cracked heads and blown pistons? Why did I not pick up on this earlier?
    Bloody apprentice

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

mihit (5th April 2023)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Theoblackhammer by sling shot mate I hope u get this message I have been reading through this thread mate I’ve got the same problem with my zd30 I’ve done everything even changed the turbo mate by any chance did u find out what it was

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    this guy
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pollenface For This Useful Post:

mudski (6th April 2023)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay01 View Post
    Hey Theoblackhammer by sling shot mate I hope u get this message I have been reading through this thread mate I’ve got the same problem with my zd30 I’ve done everything even changed the turbo mate by any chance did u find out what it was
    Put more oil in the sump.
    Apart from that, good thread dredge and good luck
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12