Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU 09 Overheating!

Hi guys,
    I have a gu patrol 09.
    Was wondering why it overheats when I am in 4l or4h when I'm in the sand or when the engine is being worked!
    Takes about 1km on the sand and it overheats ,let it idle for 2 minutes and goes back down.
    Doesn't do this when normal driving on highways or when I'm towing my boat only in 4l or4h.
    Thanks Mitch.
    Last edited by Mitch88; 19th May 2017 at 04:00 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like airflow so, maybe your viscous clutch on the fan or even do you have a lot of stuff hanging on the front of the car which may obstruct airflow. are all the panel and shrouds under the car still there and intact? If its ok at speed when air is flowing over the car and through the radiator, I would be looking at the viscous clutch or a slipping belt first up.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Stropp (19th May 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can hear a belt scretching when the motor is cold, yeh all panels and shrouds seem to be alright, I'll have a look at the other options.
    Cheers mate legend 👍

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch88 View Post
    I can hear a belt scretching when the motor is cold, yeh all panels and shrouds seem to be alright, I'll have a look at the other options.
    Cheers mate legend 👍
    Just remember that the belt might be screeching because the tension pulley is not working properly. Check everything while your there, saves having to do it several times.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a few CRD Patrols of around that era that had partially blocked cores in the radiator ,from junk left in the block from manufacturing mixing with the coolant and coagulating .....

Your may be one of these too
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check the viscous fan clutch (probably around 90% of faults), if that is OK then it is time to consider pulling down the coolant system and getting it flushed, thermostat checked etc for blocked rad cores or such as suggested by others.

If the belt is squealing when cold either the tensioner is shagged or the belt is stretched.
    Neither should cause overheating in itself but may contribute.
    I would fix the tensioner and/or replace the belt (keep the old one as a spare)
    Genuine belts seem teh best bet as a lot of non-gen ones often give issues
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a fan clutch to me. Have had a number of mates with the clutches go on the fan. It's hard to pin sometimes but yeah I'm gonna second the fan clutch. Good luck with it
    Currently own a ZD30 2000 GU patrol with a dead injector pump about to start a build on a TD42 motor to go in the car and basically rebuild the whole car into a machine of a rig

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the feedback everyone , when I get home from working away I'll pin point the problem n let use no.
    Cheers Mitch.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with it mate should be a pretty straight forward exercise
    Currently own a ZD30 2000 GU patrol with a dead injector pump about to start a build on a TD42 motor to go in the car and basically rebuild the whole car into a machine of a rig

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do know it us over heating? Scan Guage/ultra Guage or the troll temp sensor . I have a ultra Guage and i find engine temps between 89 and 93 on raoad but up to 100 °C on soft sand. I have 2007 crd.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast