Thread: Going solar

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Covo71 View Post
    I was thinking of just laying flat in the roof rack as it would not need to be working while driving as it would be charging off the alternator and when you stop and unpack it will pick up the sun. Thoughts?
    Can be problematic. Some solar panels, only need a small partial shadow to reduce output to almost zero. The rails around the side of the roof rack may cast enough shadow for this to occur. Some panels are much better than others in this respect but you would either have to pay more for them or get lucky. Not a problem if mounted across the top of the roof rack, but makes them higher & raises centre of gravity. Best to either alter the roof rack or use roof bars. It’s a good strategy if you can get the panel(s) un-shadowed. I’m a big fan of roof mounting over portable.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Only problem I have with roof mounting panels is you need to park in full sun
    to get the most out of them . Where normally you would park in the shade.
    Being out in the full sun in say 30 plus temps will see your fridge working harder.
    Just a thought lol

@Cuppa I doubt you'd ever crack a solar panel glass ,from memory they test with
    a steel ball bearing from a certain height, they should withstand hurricane stuations.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to find a bit of room to put 2 x 120w BP solar panels on the roof. lol

I've ordered 2 more panels, totalling 160w. Not sure if they're going on the cab or shed roof. I need lights in my shed.

One of the challenges I have found in WA is that most of the time, when I go down south, the sun doesn't really get that hot to completely charge my battery if I have some of my essential equipment working. Around the surrounds and further north, not an issue.

Last trip down south, I cut my losses and bought a generator. With not too much sun or overcast, the battery didn't take politely to my Travel Buddy Marine Oven, 95lt Evakool fridge/freezer and DVD player being used on the same day.

Initially my solar panels were individual panels, then I had them hinged together and used to move them around, as portable. Too much hassle, and susceptible to being damaged putting them in and out of the pod, so I had a bracket made up and now they're permanently mounted.

Yes, I park out in the full sun, but nothing a chair under a shady tree won't fix.

I'm even thinking about installing a third battery.

Rossco
    Last edited by DX grunt; 17th March 2017 at 10:09 AM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rossco , heat is your enemy with a solar panel , it reduces the efficiency of the panel , sounds like your running too much 12 volt gear and don't have enough solar to recharge which is why you need the gennie.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    Rossco , heat is your enemy with a solar panel , it reduces the efficiency of the panel , sounds like your running too much 12 volt gear and don't have enough solar to recharge which is why you need the gennie.
    Probably. lol.

I've designed my set up so that I don't have to cart a camper trailer around with me. We're trying different styles of camping and what we carry. At the moment, the wife is pre-cooking our food and it goes into our freezer and once defrosted, is put into the oven for up to 1.5hrs or so, to 're-heat'.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Covo71 View Post
    I was thinking of just laying flat in the roof rack as it would not need to be working while driving as it would be charging off the alternator and when you stop and unpack it will pick up the sun. Thoughts?
    Panels laying flat while driving in my opinion and from experience still do ok , my camper is not charged from the car but solar when driving , if it's really overcast and I'm in the mountains and batteries are down a bit I'll swap over and plug camper to car .
    With Cuppas setup he has a lot of solar so losses from heat and shading still gives him a reasonable charge capacity .
    This is the benefit from using as much solar as you can fit .
    Modern solar regulators shouldn't overcharge a battery , not many batteries die from overcharging but heaps die from undercharging .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DX grunt , your biggest problem is trying to run the oven , if you run it while driving it would help but they are hungry suckers and drain batteries pretty quick .
    We have a dreampot cooker (Aldi version) which we can start cooking a meal in in the morning ,seal it up then have a hot meal at the end of the day , thermal cookers are fantastic .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (17th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    DX grunt , your biggest problem is trying to run the oven , if you run it while driving it would help but they are hungry suckers and drain batteries pretty quick .
    We have a dreampot cooker (Aldi version) which we can start cooking a meal in in the morning ,seal it up then have a hot meal at the end of the day , thermal cookers are fantastic .
    Yep, understand that. We normally have our main meal at lunch time. That way, the battery has time to recharge before the evening DVD. lol.

Dreampot cooker is another option, but where does it stop? PML.

I've had the suspension upgrade, but now need more floor space in the pod to carry all this stuff.

There are lots and lots of places in WA where you can't light a campfire until 01 April or 01 May. In the mean time, we sit in a circle and pretend. lol.
    Last edited by DX grunt; 17th March 2017 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only problem when travelling in the hottest months is we don't feel like a hot meal , the thermal cooker was great if cooler weather but wants a piping hot stew or curry when it's over 40 .
    Running the oven while driving will certainly help .

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @DXgrunt you could mount your new panels on the doors and then when opened to 90 degree will be flat like the others'
    I did that with my othe trailer, worked a treat. lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

13. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (17th March 2017)

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast