Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poindexter View Post
    Thanks Ralph, I need to speak with BD about this today and if they hold out, get the shaft diameter they use as there appears a couple of different diameters.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't want to seem like a prick but are you 100% it's plumbed up correctly? To blow the shaft seal means you are pressurising the case somehow. The shaft seal should basically never see pressure unless the pump is absolutely shagged and bypassing to all buggery. Are you able to draw out the circuit at all?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    I don't want to seem like a prick but are you 100% it's plumbed up correctly? To blow the shaft seal means you are pressurising the case somehow. The shaft seal should basically never see pressure unless the pump is absolutely shagged and bypassing to all buggery. Are you able to draw out the circuit at all?
    No offence taken, the lines were simply swapped from the original to the new in the same orientation. I am back on site so when I get home in a fortnight I will have another look. For example the low pressure lines are fitted at both ends with cable clamps and the high pressure lines had screwed fittings from memory. The new pump has a barbed fitting and a female screwed port - should be straight forward. I had run the car perhaps a klm without detrimental effect prior to this major failure, around local streets with lots of turns, would have thought it would have shown up is incorrect? Anyway, I will look at this when I get home. I just tried to find a power steering schatic for the TD42 power steering circuit - could not find one.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update, BD have decided to supply a partial new pump, which is better than nothing at all - i just need to swap out the pulley and also the backing plate. Glad they saw sense.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Rossco (30th August 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @NissanNewbie,here is the schematic as best as I can recall. I am leaning towards overfilled reservoir perhaps - seems like there is a tight seal on the can - any ideas? I have a further 2 weeks to tormePS Pump GQ Schematic.jpgnt myself before getting back home!!!

Or, a seal leak from discharge of pump, internal to reservoir - on the basis the rear plate of the reservoir is a separate unit to the pump, so there is likely to be a discharge line from the pump discharge port to the pump, o'ring for example - them the reservoir would be pressurised.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 31st August 2019 at 06:32 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A standard shaft seal can usually only deal with very little pressure like 30psi or less. Unless a high pressure shaft seal is used. So the hose clamps will still hold on way after there is enough pressure to kill the shaft seal. I will track down a OEM circuit for the power steering but I think you may need to run the fluid further before returning to the reservoir. Running through a cooler would be ideal as it will see a pressure drop and be better then returning to the small reservoir.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    A standard shaft seal can usually only deal with very little pressure like 30psi or less. Unless a high pressure shaft seal is used. So the hose clamps will still hold on way after there is enough pressure to kill the shaft seal. I will track down a OEM circuit for the power steering but I think you may need to run the fluid further before returning to the reservoir. Running through a cooler would be ideal as it will see a pressure drop and be better then returning to the small reservoir.
    Many thanks, I actually purchased an in-line cooler for the fluid and didn't install it as too impatient to get the thing back on the road. So you are thinking there is too much residual pressure in the return line and this is pressuring the reservoir?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Many thanks, I actually purchased an in-line cooler for the fluid and didn't install it as too impatient to get the thing back on the road. So you are thinking there is too much residual pressure in the return line and this is pressuring the reservoir?
    Yeah there is just to much flow returning to that little reservoir but it is only a thought. I know BD are fantastic are supplying secondhand crap

Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast