Thread: More power wanted from td42t

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More power wanted from td42t

Hi all i am having the fuel pump rebuilt on my 02 gu td42t and i want to get some more power while still maintaining reliability. The td42t makes around 152 hp (114 kw) standard so i am thinking 200 hp (150 kw) should be easily attainable without sacrificing reliability or engine longevity. I want to keep the 11mm pump and i am told this is possible for 200 hp ( ie i don't need to go to the 12mm pump ) but i will put an intercooler on it and upgrade the turbo. I am after suggestions and or recommendations for the turbo / intercooler setup to use without spending over the top amounts of money. Once i decide on the components to use and fit them on the vehicle there is a local renowned tuner i will visit to have it tuned and put on the dyno. I look forward to your replies. Badger
    Also i was just thinking will it be necessary to change injectors to higher output ones or will the standard ones be ok. The reason i ask is I have only just put new genuine Zexel injectors in it. Thanks Badger
    Last edited by Badger; 27th November 2020 at 01:00 PM. Reason: I want to ad something to the original post

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Standard squirters will be fine mate. With the right turbo and intercooler you will see 200hp I think with a good dyno tune. The question is, what turbo and intercooler? Front mount or top mount? The Borg Warner's have are popular, not sure of the model though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots out there mate. I got most of my parts from UFI in WA, not the cheapest but everything just bolted straight up with no issues. Supposed to be good for 250 hp but I've yet to have it properly tuned or dyno'd. Certainly feels like 250hp though.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. That's half the problem O-TJ -O, there is so much stuff out there to choose from i don't know where to start, what's good and whats rubbish? Thats the main reason i put the thread up on the forum. UFI in WA u say alright i will give them a call and tell them what i want and see what they come up with. I realise its not going to be the cheapest exercise i just don't want to pay over the top sort of money, also i don't want to buy cheap parts and get rubbish, so your recommendation is greatly appreciated. Following on with a point Mudski made is your intercooler the standard factory top mount if your td42t came with one fitted ( mine doesn't have one ) or did u upgrade to a top mount or front mount or which one did u go for if it wasn't equipped with one before. Thanks for the info on the injectors Mudski thats one cost i don't have to worry about and thanks for the suggestion i will also look at what Borg Warner have to offer. Thanks again to u both. Badger

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, yes agree there are plenty of choices out there which can make it difficult. FWIW I run the Borg Warner EFR6758 which is fantastic, makes boost real low and pulls like buggery. . Also have a 12mm UFI pump which am very happy with so definatly recommend their stuff, although I don't think they will agree on the Borg Warners being close to their offerings. . Kinda makes it hard when you hear so many things. . In terms of intercooler, would recommend front mount but that's just personal opinion, they fit in threre well work better and plenty of cheaper options. . Anyway good luck

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (28th November 2020)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rossco, which type of front mount intercooler did u use mate. Also thanks for the borg Warner part number and recommendation i will check it out. It's a nightmare trying to decide what to go for, i have given up looking on eBay and gumtree there is so much stuff there and no real way of knowing how it will all work when put together as a package so i have decided to listen to fellow forum members recommendations based on their own experience in using the parts they chose to achieve similar results as what I am looking for. Also it sounds like i had better not rule out altogether the 12mm pump as opposed to having mine rebuilt. I will see how much extra the cost of buying the 12mm pump is. Thanks again

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is a Safari front mount which came on the motor when I did the conversion from a TB, not sure if they do them anymore. Probably best bet is to get a "Ebay" front mount which are cheap and think quality is fine. Hopefully @MudRunnerTD can chime in, his setup is similar, front mount, UFI pump and BW turbo there is a thread on here also somewhere of his install. Definatly worth thinking about a 12mm will future proof in case the desire for more power sets in as it inevitably does lol. . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (28th November 2020)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate, i am reading up on intercoolers at the moment trying to figure out the way to go. I am going to bite the bullet and buy the 12mm pump, now it's just the turbo and intercooler i have to decide on. Clutch should be fine ( hopefully ) its a clutch industries "4 terrain ultimate clutch" which are supposed to be a very strong clutch. It's only done about 25, 000 ks so it should handle the power increase. If anyone has any suggestions on front mount intercoolers they have on their vehicle please let me know what u have and if they were a straight bolt on fit or if there was more than that involved to fit them. Thanks again Rossco. Badger

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check out this thread mate

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...he-GUIV-TD42Ti

I reckon you would be insane to rebuild the factory 11mm pump. It is restricting your future plans
    12mm all day. Detune it if you like but as Rossco says. Future proof mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (28th November 2020), Rossco (29th November 2020)